Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest claessen-id

Wacom Car Rendering Try-out

Guest claessen-id

Hi everybody I would like to post and receive some comment on my first car rendering with my wacom, I used to do only products with it, but I must say in these dark dutch days its nice to try something else. well blow me away with your comments.

and there is some stuff I did recently on the re-design of the famous Segway key at the bottom.

well see ya

post-2965-1136149990.jpg

post-2965-1136150017.jpg

post-2965-1136150249.jpg

Guest sixto62

Your car's perspective is off. I suggest redoing the front wheels. Make it appear wider than the rear wheels.

Guest claessen-id

I supose you've got a point there. the wheels look a bit weird.

One thing I find realy hard to do is sitting in front of your pc and spending more then 1 hour on a drawing.

but it could be some nice therapy I guess

Guest R-B

Hi, can you explain how you go about drawing your vehicle...how do you start etc, thanks

Guest claessen-id

Well since this is my first car thing I did in painter.....

I made a drawing on paper

scanned it

cleaned the digital file

imported it to painter

traced the outlines of several sections with the pen tool ( should spent a lot of time doing that - I didn't)

make sure that separate sections are in separate layers

select the one you want to work in

and fill the thing up with some colour

add some finishing touches without using the selections and make it smooth.

but I did some work on some new stuff today without layers, and actually I think it looks better because you can put some more character in your drawing, the way you normally automatically do when working with markers on paper.

when working digital you really have to put in some effort to stand out of the crowd

I've added one of the things I did today where fore I used a drawing of Mikael Lugnegård as an underlay

(sorry dude but they are so good (+: )

post-2965-1136234757.jpg

Guest r.schmidt

So the short daylight gets to ya huh? I'll be right there with ya, in a couple weeks I leave for a study abroad in Halmstad, Sweden for 8 months. Guess I better savor the midwestern daylight while i'm here.

Ok. onto the crit. I saw your top post and started to write a reply but figured it would be easier to explain if I just drew what I was talking about (hope you don't mind). So here it goes:

1.) Window line needs to drop down to be in line with the perspective line.

2.) The front bumper was one of the biggest problems, it basically needed to be rotated downward so that it meshed with the bottom of the side.

3&4) The left headlight and more bumper need to be shown, also the tire needs to be moved respectively to the bumper.

5&6) The greenhouse was really short, and I'm sure you're just trying to show a highbeltline, yet I think it would have to be just a little taller to be believable.

7.) This might just be mre, but the headlight seemed like it was on the side of the car not the front, maybe you were trying to show a wide front on the car/suv so I just ended up pulling it toward the grill to tighten it up a little and to hint at the front fasicia form.

8&9) This is a bit nit-picky but the reflections in order to be believable need to hint at the form *and* stay with the perspective (as illustrated by 9)

**Ellipses for wheels needed to be brought into perspective. There are a lot of great tutorials on how to draw an ellipse in perspective. I think www.drawthrough.com has one even.

So, after that stuff I went ahead and did a quick render (similar to what you did...maybe 2 hours) of what I was talking about above in Photoshop CS using a couple paths and just an airbrush,etc. Some general things I changed were increasing the contrast of the painting by trying to make a little more of a core to the shape of the car and then tried to make a focus to the painting by fading out the back and sides. It seemed like in your original you were trying to make the focus on the front, so I tried to just hint at the wheels (wheels seem to steal the spotlight quickly).

Overall, great effort, keep 'em coming!

post-3881-1136249166.jpg

Guest r.schmidt

Here's the painting... I tried to use similar palette etc just to make it easier to see what I'm talking about.

post-3881-1136252154.jpg

Guest tokes99

great with job with the correction!!!! it would be even better if the wheelbasw was lengthened or maybe with a more extreme perspective

Guest claessen-id

well mister Schmidt ... super job you did on it (and even spending more time on it then I did myself) I know I should spend more time on perspective and actually constructing things. When I look at your result and mine I'm a bit shamed .. (lazylazy ben....) .. ok I wrote all the crits down and I'm gonna start a new one.

Thanks for the great useful comments. (+:

(and today I received the 'design sketching' book as well which is actually loaded with very good examples and tutorials.. wiiiw. so with all the comments and books it should become a lot better).

Guest claessen-id

These I made today for a project I'm working on (kinda Segway technology thing)

it's marker, Karisma pencil, soft pastels, fine black Parker ballpoint and white gel pen on Canson marker paper. took me about 3 hours to finish them.

for me it's some how easier to spend loads of time on none digital renderings.

post-2965-1136318131.jpg

post-2965-1136318141.jpg

Guest menappi

hey r.schmidt, how long did that take you to do, im always amazed when i see renderings like that because...i cant do that!! i dont get it! i love it

Hehe, that design sketching book is excellent isn't it? Plenty of stuff in there to cater to all kinds of sketching and rendering styles. Basically a must buy for every student and dare I say professional.

Guest r.schmidt

menappi: First off, thanks for the compliment, yet I am pretty sure you could do it if you just started playing around with the many possible rendering programs such as Photoshop (I used the CS version for this one), Painter, Sketchbook, Alias Studiotools, etc. This rendering took around 2 hours. For a look at some ideas on how to do a rendering look in the 2D Technique section of this website, there are a bunch of good ideas, including Renzsu's which talks about paths (i think) which I used in this render.

Guest menappi

so it was done all in photoshop? yea ive been doing my reasearch and attemping photoshop, sketchbook, and illustrator stuff, but they are pretty bad. did you use paths for the above render? also how to did u get the sketchy feel (not so sharp sections)...feathering?

Guest r.schmidt

Yup, it was all done in photoshop with some paths and airbrushes. All you have to do to fade out parts of the drawing is use a soft, large eraser at low opacity and then use the blur tool.