Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Telos

Thread For My Sketches And Renderings

Guest Telos

Well, I sketch enough that I should probably just have one thread to display my work rather than tons of single threads, so here it is. I'll start things off with my progress on my latest design. It's not close to done yet, but I have the basic shape. I just wanted to post it here to see what you guys thought, before I go any further with it.

concept21progress1.jpg

Guest madmatt

The front part look very good...the rear part (for my opinion) has a lettle bit perspective problem...overall the rear wheel...

Keep it on

Bye

Guest tokes99

front end looks pretty good but the has the same affliction as the previous sketches...

maybe you should loosen up with your sketches?

Guest LeL

An improvement from your previous sketches, but there are still perspective issues, most notably the rear wheel and the hood. The headlights on the far side of the car don't match the lights on the near side; I should be seeing more of the inner walls. Theres a couple other things that look kinda strange, then again I can't really draw cars but those are just my thoughts on the overall sketch.

Guest Telos

Thanks for the input, guys! I definitely see the problem with the rear wheel and the headlights so I will get right on those. I think the back of the car looks off because of the perspective I'm using. I tend to keep my vanishing points close together due to the size of my sketch pad. I think it looks cool because it gives the drawing a more dramatic look, but I guess I need to get away from that. I think I'll start adding paper to the sides of my sketch pad so that I can move the vanishing points farther away from each other. I'll post an update on it tomorrow. Thanks again!

EDIT: Here's the update as promised:

concept21progress2.jpg

Sorry about the quality, it's a camera pic.

Guest tokes99

you are still making the same mistakes...you should look over your previous threads and take the advice that was given...

Guest Telos

Could you be a little more specific on the mistakes? I'm pretty sure I have fixed my wheel problem (dealing with minor axes and such) and I have followed the perspective guidelines very carefully. I'd like to fix things, but I'm not too sure on what still needs fixing, and I'm not altogether sure that some things really need to be fixed. Thanks for your help.

The perspective is too extreme, your product would have to be really small on the page for it to be correct. The car would have to be huge for the back wheel to be so different from the front like that. Also I think the back wheel elipse would not be so thin. Trace some pictures of car photographs to see how far away your points should be. Good luck.

Guest Telos

Yeah, I was trying to go with the fisheye lense effect to make it look more dramatic. I was trying to emulate pictures like this: http://www.club202.com/nokia8860/fisheye.jpg

but I guess that didn't work out the way I wanted it to (or at least enough for people to notice it).

I guess I'll scrap this drawing and start on another one in a few weeks when I have more time. Thanks for your help.

Best to leave those effects for animation, 3-d modeling, etc. ID sketching is to show info accurately, so if anything that's being shown is confusing the viewer, it's ineffective. Better to stick with realistic perspectives because the point is to show the design information clearly, proportions, what lines up where, what's straight vs what's curved, etc. Camera lenses are curved, that fisheye effect will give you mostly curved lines, much more difficult to do by hand. Best bet if you do want to show something like that is to draw it normal, then do the effect in photoshop, (if that works, never had any reason to try it). Practice on the accuracy of conveying relevant info first, then do emotional effects for final renderings, etc. Good luck, take care.

Explanatory sketches should not employ extreme perspective. At this point you are trying to iron out some designs. So like the others have said- perhaps lay of the extreme perspectives for now. That said-I am not sure that your perspective is that extreme. Good implementation with the major axes of the ellipses perpendicular to the axle, but the degree of the wheel ellipses are incorrect. When I get back into the office , I'll do a sketchover.

Guest huakakak

hey i forgot bout your 2nd sketch. its true that at 1st sketch you did a mistake on rear wheel, but your make it even worse on 2nd sketch..i hope the sketch could explain you

post-2132-1136489970.jpg

post-2132-1136490137.jpg

Guest Telos

Just started a new concept today with less extreme vanishing points. It's i nthe very early stages and most of the lines are pressyt sketchy because I'm not too sure exactly where I'll take some things, but it's a start.

concept22progress1.jpg