Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Travisimo

3d Paintings / Wizard Artworks...

Guest Travisimo

My last year at the university in 98, I worked as an illustrator and interaction designer for a a software group... I did alot of non-tradional ID work that I normally don't show. Thought I would post some of them out here, to share them and maybe get some feedback on it even though it is kind of old.

These were wizard illustrations to represent the unlocking of a digital database...

post-3129-1135002244.jpg post-3129-1135002254.jpg

post-3129-1135002280.jpg

Guest Travisimo

This series was to illustrate the creation of a Java web program, part of a site management program. Each rendering illustrated the function that that was being performed in the wizard dialog box...

post-3129-1135002891.jpg

"introduction" to the imaginary beanbuilder machine..

post-3129-1135003190.jpg

Decide what type of Java Bean you want to build

post-3129-1135003199.jpg

Start adding information to shape the mini application

post-3129-1135003205.jpg

run prototype program to test functionality

post-3129-1135003393.jpg

Compile program (crush code from editable formats into smaller uneditable machine code)

post-3129-1135003400.jpg

Publish final java application to the web...

If you guys like these, I have a ton more

Guest charly_senn

That's really interesting - never really thought about where they came from.

I guess you were visualising a 'concept', ie not a physcial entity - in reality just a lot of 1's and 0's being pushed around in a PC. What kind of brief were you given? I mean, were you part of the design of the software or did they tell you the stages of how the software worked and you went from there?

What I am getting at is it's a really interesting principle to visualise something like this - I like it.

Charly

Guest Travisimo

It was exactly that... illustrate an abstract concept. I had to think up some kind of visual language to describe something that didn't exist. Some of it was built off common ideas at the time, like a cylinder described a database ( for some reason? )

I sat with the software engineers and they explained everything that was going on behind the scenes, then they let me go and gave little critiques on whether the metaphors worked in their opinion. no real brief, except that the general idea was to entertain and explain what the user were doing with the program.

I always thought it was kind of similar to how some ID could sculpt an abstract idea like sexy, fast, durable, etc.. into the geometry of a product.

post-3129-1135011802.jpg

This was for a "data mining" application that collected information from the web, sorted it, and then built it into a database

Guest cmegens

Well they look great, but i have to say they are a little outdated. Can you also show us some more recent work? Looks like a great experience to learn design!

Guest Travisimo

They are from a while ago.. I could see how they could be a little outdated.

I've really never shown them, which is why I posted them to see what you crack illustrators would have to say. I haven't really had the chance to do that kind of "free" artwork since that job; everything I do nowadays is more like quicksketches and modeling for traditional ID

Guest charly_senn
It was exactly that... illustrate an abstract concept. I had to think up some kind of visual language to describe something that didn't exist.

Well put, that's what I was trying to say!! LOL :)

I think it's cool - I hear the comments on the slight outdatedness. I wonder whether we should suggested something like this to Renzu for next months sketching session? 'Illustrate an abstract concept'.

I wouldnt worry about the datedness. Change the color scheme and run it through a new render engine and it would look good as new. I bet it looked pretty cool back in the day.

Very cool- this would be a great tool to teach aesthetic concepts. Do you have any screenshots of works in progress? What did you use for animating the process?

Guest charly_senn

Just looking back at the images posted again it reminds me of Movie style stuff - technology that doesn't fully exist yet or something. Anyway, reminds me of a cross between the Matrix and the Minority Report.

Guest Travisimo

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

I used to do lots and lots of sketching to come up with a good analogy for

the idea, then start mockingthem up in photoshop or 3d. Back then I used

FormZ and rendered with Electric Image on a Mac. The final pics had lots

of photoshop layers to control colors and different parts of the scene.

post-3129-1135095006.jpg post-3129-1135095020.jpg

This one was for setting up expiring links in a web page; at a certain time and date

the link stopped working. Left is a sketch, Right more finished.

Here's another... These are the log files generated from accessing a database. They used this part of the program to record every time someone visited a web (database) or server

post-3129-1135095478.jpg

Then cropped...

post-3129-1135095593.gif