Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lufbrasketch

My Mini Portfolio

Guest lufrbasketch

Hi, this is my first post showing some of my work.

I recently had to hand in a mini portfolio of my work at Uni and these are the sheets I used in that portfolio. I do have a coroflot site but unfortunately I cant seem to upload my images cos I can never get them small enough.

Sorry if the writing is quite small, had to drop the resolution alot.

Any comments on my work is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

sketchesandrenderings7qw.jpg

temperaturesensorpage0yb.jpg

Guest philholton

Nice widget concept fella. Hope Craig is taking it easy on you boys in the workshops!

I think your temperature sensor sheet is a bit weak. When I left uni I re-did a lot of my work such as the RSA and design week projects, and just made them alot more simple, less cluttered with regards to including sketches alongside renderings and text, and tried to compress the whole explanation of a design into just one paragraph. I recently had a portfolio review with an industrial design firm who I visited this time last year and the response was much more promising.

Other than that your work looks good. Make more of your scooter rendering in the top right. Render it up with different materials and it will look class!

good luck

Guest lufrbasketch

Cheers mate, thanks for the comments.

Craig has been surprisingly much better to us than last year which is a good thing I guess!!

I did think though that the temperature sensor page has far too much going on in it. I was thinking of redoing it showing my progression towards how I developed the final concept.

Guest philholton

~Yeah progression is good so get that it there. Perhaps its the sketch/renderings in the top right that doesn't quite work. I would scan those in and work them up on Photoshop rather than keep those as they are. If you can seperate the line work from the marker you've put on there, use some of the tutorials on this site and work them up. Your story board and product images work well. Perhaps show the final concept wedged into the grass too?

Anyway all just ideas but its good stuff fella.

About the first sheet 'Soil Temperature Sensor'.. what are those 2 parts/shells on the right? Are those the assembly parts of the complete product? Try to make it clear.

And maybe you can add some comments on those little sketches ? Are they form ideations or principle sketches?

How about trying to show the glow? Or show the translucency of the product? How does it transfer the light to the outside? Now it looks like a matte plastic product.

Your presentation sheet of that same project attached in this thread is much clearer.

Guest lufrbasketch

Great, thanks for the comments.

I am currently doing a second sheet to accompany the one you are talking about. This sheet would basically be the same as the presentation one showing how the product works, but Im including an image of the PCB within the product and the LEDs glowing off that circuit board. It will also explain the features of the product.

Ill post it when its finished.

Cheers for the comments.

Guest newkillerstar

yeah, your new pages are about 1000 times better than the first ones you posted. Its amazing how much better that old work looks just by updating the page.

the temp sensor is better, but would be well served by splitting up into 2 pages. There's still a lot of info on there.

There rendering page suffers from the same affliction. Divide into hand renderings and computer renderings, or some other logical fashon. Always have a focal point, everything around it should support it.

Now, this injection molding page... seriously, 5 slides for one small plastic part? I'd redo that and shoot for 1 slide - maybe 2. A product that cheap is going to get pricy with 5 slides, if you can get a factory to do it. check out disposable razors - theres some very creative detail in those handles and its all for free (A-B molding). Or gas assist the molding. Its a good exercise, I know its from school, but not practical.

Oh! and if this is your mini-portfolio (teaser), always leave them wanting more

Good stuff - keep improving - learn to love white space