Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RXB

Aluminium Laptop Design

Guest LeL
Good concept RXB, however there is no way that keyboard could possibly work. The buttons could not have the travel to give the required feedback.

The interface is nice, but try putting some shape in the body, i know its meant to be minimalistic, however i think two boxes stuck together might be a little too much so. Even the Razr has some curves.

Good work though

As much as I enjoy seeing new manufacturing processes being implemented into fresh product ideas, I couldn't agree more with Retfareve. The ergonomic issues regarding this type of keypad would be like trying to take an order using a Mc Donald's cash register only you're trying to type instead of just push individual buttons -- its not very easy. I don't know too much about chemichal etching, but perhaps the buttons could have a slight bump to em to add some tactile elements to the keyboard? As for the shape, I think it definitely could use some subtle curves, or at least some larger radius fillets/chamfers on the corners (The corners look sharp and painful).

All in all, its a cool concept, but I think it needs to be better resolved to make the product appear more convincing. Try looking at how the current laptops look like and get some ideas from that.

Btw, I personally don't mind when someone posts blunt and harsh comments. It adds to the variety of comments, because clearly if one person thinks it looks horrible, you could only imagine how the client or employer may think.

Btw, I personally don't mind when someone posts blunt and harsh comments. It adds to the variety of comments, because clearly if one person thinks it looks horrible, you could only imagine how the client or employer may think.

Yeah it's okay to say the good and the bad, but there's no need to tell them not to post a topic because it's not what you like. Anyways it's no biggy, back to the topic.

Guest RXB
if this was just a holiday fill in time project, then leave it on your desktop. dont post this kind of unfeasible junk on here. be creative, DONT COPY!!!!!

I believe I ws leveraging technology/manufacturing processes, as a professional I'm sure you understand that. I genuinely believe it isn't unfesible as well.

I personally believe there would be enough natural bouncy from the aluminium to provide sufficient travel /recoil to offer positive feedback. I believe it would be silly for a professional typists to use this type of a keyboard.

Lel: I agree the design needs further resolution and I was worried it kind alooked like two LAZY boxes lol... and I don't mind harsh comments as long as its has reasoning or feedback. Mindless single comments are ignorant and don't assist anybody.

Guest LoopyMind

why wouldn't they work...on a motorola Razr v3 it does...

okay, as for the feedback from the keys, little to none, but, instead of actualy having to push down on a key, this gives far less strain on the fingers, and, this technique is atleast 5 times thinner then regular latptop keys.

as for the power button centered between the arrow keys... It's like the standard capslock keys, in the wrong place! ...(reason why i took it of my keyboard...)

love the clean minimal look of it... bit PowerBook-ish, but non the less, great looking

http://phone.mobile9.com/img/motorola-razr-v3-8.jpg

innovative really innovative.absolutely aesthetic.nevertheless the power button shouldn't be there. have u got a reason for it? you have to change manufacturing type...

Guest kaiza

there are definitely ways of making that keyboard work in a more ergonomic fashion - i havent had a decent amount of play around time with the razr phone but i imagine the keyboard would have to be designed slightly differently - i imagine the cutouts would need to be deeper to allow more leverage

dont forget there is already hardly any travel for the keys of a laptop keyboard.

perhaps you could look at capacitance keys instead - they wouldnt need any travel at all - but then you may need to look into providing some other form of tactile feedback like sounds. there is some decent info on all of this stuff in ergonomics textbooks....

the hinge will also be an interesting area - i like your idea of the slow lift, but make sure it is still fully adjustable!

Guest RXB

I don't want to take any credit for the design of the keys, and yeah I do agree with everyone about the possible poor ergonomics.

I really only wanted to reduce the amount of components within a computer in the end, to make it more accessible in price and simplify the manufacturing process.

capacitance keys, are used by the IPOD and some eftpos terminals as well, I'll have a look into it, and I do agree there is no tactility from capacitance keys. Don't they sense the current from your finger tips?

retfareve I think you need to take a few chill pills mate

This forum as far as I am aware is to get feedback on design work..if you don't want to look at it, than don't bother commenting. I do agree positive and negative comments can be left..but whatever you typed was utter garbage.

Hey RXB, What programs do they teach you at UWS? Its good to see some holiday projects being done..gets your mind going when you head back to uni! I think the Atlantis pic is a good mesh with the keyboard layout, that sci-fi feel, though I do agree there are problems with the keyboard layout..be good to see where your final design heads!

Guest RXB

Hi, currently we use Solidedge v18 by UGS (its quite similar to Solidworks), Rhino3d v3.0 as well we are currently looking at upgrading to a VRAY for Rhino rendered on most of our computers as well.

I personally enjoy Rhino as its workspace is quite free flowing, but Solidedge is still the more competent program in terms of manufacturing anything.

by the way what happened to all the topics from the previous two months?

by the way what happened to all the topics from the previous two months?

Someone got in the forum as an administrator somehow and removed a bunch of posts. We had to use an old backup as some of the newer ones weren't working properly.

<details>

Guest key

looks very sleek and contemporary, but i agree with some of the comments about the keyboard its going to be hard to use if has the same response as the razar phone. You would have to see how easy it would be use if it was very sensitive like a touch pad, but you would have to type with hands in the air not comfortable.

take a look at Jaren Goh's blackbook keyboard.

www.jarengoh.com

Dont let any comment get you down

they forget this is the Projects in Progres section.

Guest benko

thats kind of my concern , if you want to show how creative you can be , you can at leat use another color than blue wich is the razr backlight color .. or try to find another application for Chemical etching something which will look different and will impress your future boss..my two cents

Guest john-john

i love your project and it is very realisable as you contrarely think.Nowadays there are thermic butons on the market such as the new samsung or lg cell phone it ..It's a very good idea you should proposed it to constructor or during a contest.