Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest RXB

Aluminium Laptop Design

Guest RXB

Hi, first post here, I'm a 4th year Industrial Design student, at the University of Western Sydney. I've been bored these holidays so I've started week long projects.

Anyway everyone knows about Chemical etching, because of the Motorola Razr, I have basically adapted this production technique to hopefully improve manufacturing, by basically reducing the amount of components and assembly points.

The top Keyboard and sides fold around to the side and bottom, through a pressing (Diagramatic images will be shown later), while the bottom, front and back plate slides into place with all the necessary pre assembly components. This eases post purchase maintenance as well.

Here is it so far.

PS: I use Rhino 3D and Flamingo, does anyone else here have any experience with Maxwell Render?

18.jpg

19.jpg

Um sorry about the Image size.

Guest redoxyn

my concern is that the power key might be pressed on accident. also, how sensitive are the keys? in a RAZR, you have to "press" the buttons. i think if keyboards were like that... you hands will be tired quickly. lastly, it does look very attractive a sleek, but what if you press between 2 keys (especially I and J)? this will be difficult for anyone that's not a good typist.

Guest RXB

Yes I agree with all your concerns there, but it is definately a tool for the more style concious rather than a professional typists.

With the Power key, like most Power Keys you need to depress it for a few seconds before it will activate.

Also I'm unsure what would happen if you press between I and J, I don't think anything would happen, because there wouldn't be any connections to activate the keys.

About the Sensitivity of the Keys, I've used a Motorola Razr before and have found that because of the buttons small size, the flexural section is small also, which I believe dictates how hard you need to press the key. With the keys on the Laptop generally larger and the flexural area larger as well I think there is a higher flexing capability for each key.

You need help with maxwell render? I've been using it for a while now... are you using the current RC's or the beta?

Guest Zampik

I can see other problem....meybe.....with letters like "O" "e" "a" "A" etc... could be problem with how to stick it.....and how to screen against any scratch by nails...means scretch out inner part of theese letters ...

Guest RXB

Renzsu: I'm still weighing up whether I should purchase it or wait till Rhino 4 comes out, I think Maxwell is a great application but yeah, unsure whether I can put it to good use.

Zampik: I was actually lazy with the Letters inner parts I couldn't be bothered to connect them to the main letters and buttons.

Bowl of Noodle: Yep that Atlantis pic rocks...Its from the Sci Fi network..

Guest charly_senn

I'm not sure of how well it will function - ie user friendliness when we are all so used to big old blocks of plastic to slam our fingers onto. but I guess it is a lifestyle IWOOT products and users would just have to adapt to it (or buy a USB keyboard for when no one is looking!)

Having said that, I like what you are trying to do with the keyboard; razor -> laptop. :)

Do you have any detail of the reverse side notably the hinge mechanism? This is a crazy area to make look sweet and I was wondering how you were going to tackle this. Also, can we see a rendering of the unit closed? It'd be cool to see if you are picking up any of the cues from the keyboard to add on the back face of the TFT.

Hey, have you designed a mini-mouse to go with the laptop? Sorry, what about the power supply? I think it's Samsung that has a really sweet one and allows you to wind up the cable in a recess around its body. (this could be next weeks project!).

So yeah, cool what you are doing on the keyboard front, why not lift the project that bit more and kill us all with the attention to detail you've placed on the other componentry! :) You've obviously considered the keyboard.

Charly

Guest RXB

Charly senn: Thanks I'm thinking about taking the project further but for now I will place in temporary hinges and ports at the rear.

What does IWOOT mean?, I assume its something to do with the fashion concious and greater respect is placed on form rather than function.

I've seen the Samsung power supply as well, it rocks, I wish I had one for my current laptop, It's similar to Sony's old ear phones wind up mechanism as well.

I've actually a bit stuck on the creative side for the hinge mechanism, but I will try to think of something more fitting for it.

Current Rise Idea

I've always loved the idea of slow rise mechanisms, such as tape cassette doors, where you depress the window and it opens gracefully. I'm still a big fan of perhaps a spring tensioned mechanism like that inside the hinge. Where opening the laptop would be a case of pressing the top down, and up it comes.

Anyway lets wait a few more weeks...holidays...

Guest charly_senn

Good luck in getting the mechanism 'in' the design!

What I was meaning really was that often hinges can be an after thought and can cripple an otherwise nice concept. Have a look at the Apple Powerbook - think it's got nice hinges????

IWOOT actually means I Want One Of Those, but there is also an online gadget shop using this - htttp://www.iwoot.com

Just read my previous post and I think I got a bit carried away with idea stuff when I was writing it (I do that, sorry) - I was trying to be encouragingly constructive or something LOL ;)

Guest RXB

Charly Senn: Thats cool I like consturctive encouragement, yep and I also love the Powerbooks hinges, they are well integrated within the overall form and the transition seems seamless.

I've never heard of IWOOT before, it seems like a principle that I try to follow....whenever I can...

I'm just going to show a basic diagramtic image of the real benefits in integrating chemical etching and aluminium in the production process. Well I think it would be more production manufacturing efficient......maybe...

Whoops forgot to put this early initial sketch up.

Initial-Sketches.jpg

RXB, i'd say, wait with the maxwell purchase till v1.0 has been released, no doubt they'll come with another offer or discount at some time or other. Maxwell at its current state (pre-release) still needs lots of work before it can really compete with other render engines. Unfortunately the software is a bit plagued with unchartered terrain problems at the moment.

Guest RXB

Renzsu: Yeah I was thinking that I should wait for Maxwell Render 1, but I'm wondering how long would we have to wait....for it. I hope its out soon.

Guest retfareve

Good concept RXB, however there is no way that keyboard could possibly work. The buttons could not have the travel to give the required feedback.

The interface is nice, but try putting some shape in the body, i know its meant to be minimalistic, however i think two boxes stuck together might be a little too much so. Even the Razr has some curves.

Good work though

Guest retfareve

if this was just a holiday fill in time project, then leave it on your desktop. dont post this kind of unfeasible junk on here. be creative, DONT COPY!!!!!