Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cyberdemon

Swivel Socket - Dynamic Surge Protector

Heres a project I've been working on this semester for a student design competition. It's a surge protector designed to remove the annoyances of a regular power strip. The sockets rotate 180 degrees so you can fit any combination of plugs, chargers, and adapters. The dials on the front allow you to select an icon to represent what you have plugged in, so you don't need to jiggle and tug on the cables when you want to unplug a specific device.

And yes I know it looks like an Ipod. :D

Development Sketches

collage.jpg

Upright stands for putting on the floor

swivel1.jpg

Clamped to a desk or table

clamp3.jpg

In use

hf1.jpg

Arrangement of different sized plugs

manyplugs.jpg

Guest Marra

This is the first electronic/electrical device that I have seen on this site has I have been impressed with.

Styling aside, the language of functions speaks so well and easily.

Well done fella!

Guest Bryce

Cool concept and nice renders. My only comments are on the difference between the concept sketched and the rendered product. In your sketches, it looks as though the ability of this device to clamp onto a table edge is central to the concept. But in the renders, it looks like that functionality was not developed. Does it need two clamps to attach? Would one not do? I would forget about the strict iPod aesthetic, and explore the ways that this can interface with the table edge. Lastly, if you've ever seen a Linksys wireless router on a vertical stand, then you know that even just a simple plastic piece can take a design to a whole new level. You have a very distinct visual language going with the device, and the stand should be a part of the language that complements and enhances the design. The curves on the feet do not relate well to the form of the device. Right now there are not any visual or tactile clues as to where the vertical stand attaches. Maybe the vertical stand functionality could be integrated into the body of the device?

Regardless of my picky comments, this is a very good concept. What design contest is this for? I am sure that it will do well.

Best of luck

Yeah, I agree with you about the clamp and the stands. In fact that was pretty much the only critique I recieved when I presented it to my class. "Complete Bullshit" was the polite way it was put to me.

Originally in the sketches the clamp was supposed to be an integral part. However, realizing that some surfaces won't acommodate that, or that some people may intentionally want to still put it on the floor or underneath something, I decided to allow for it to be mounted upright.

I was considering having the vertical stand and the clamps somehow fold into the back of the device. The biggest problem simply became that there wasn't enough time to really give a good look into designing and connecting the two parts.

Thanks for the critiques. I definately knew it was a concession I had to make in order to have my presentation ready in time, but since the competition isn't due for a few more weeks I may go in and revamp it. My biggest reasoning was simply showing that the functionality exists, even if it isn't as polished as the rest of it.

interesting - i did some similar thinking in the past! fun stuff. have you seen newpoint's "squid" surge protector - it solved several problems at a very low cost! good work!

i meant to post this - maybe it'll work this time.post-3013-1134683138.jpg

Guest SPUDS

Hey folks, i don't want to put a damp-squib on things, but although there are lots of interesting concepts, including the power surge option, i want to know why the clamping on the desk is so important?,

Are the plugs really changed so often that they need to be positioned in such a manner ?...or is it another way of making a product more important?

Why does the plugs need a swivel socket, whenever they usually live a dormant life in one socket ?

I'm interested in this product as i feel it has potential, but i also feel the 'powersurge' aspect is the only relevant one.....please convince me otherwise!

Myself as well as plenty of people I know frequently travel. Whether it be between the home and office, home and school, or going on vacation. Whenever I leave I need to unplug my cell phone, laptop, camera charger, Ipod charger, and often I bring my desktop PC (4 plugs).

Almost everyone I asked has the problem where a large AC adapter takes up more than one outlet, rendering others useless. And almost everyone I've seen connect a home theater system constantly confuses what they have plugged in.

Again, not every user will experience this, but I can safely say many people do, especially in the age where your gadgets go everywhere you do.

Clamping on the desk means your cords stay in one place, where a normal surge protector just lives behind your furniture dangling. They're difficult to access and difficult to operate and identify cables. By moving it to a work surface such as a desk, TV cart, or table, you have much easier access to things.

I believe there may be a cultural element to this as well. Some cultures simply don't have the gadgetry that some cultures like Americans and Japanese rely on. You'll be hard pressed to find many people in more affulent urban areas, without their computer, PDA, Cell phone, camera, music device, Blackberry, or laptop not on them at all times.

If anyone is interested, the final powerpoint which explains all the features and more images can be seen here:

http://www.wtlw.net/Pvt/Swivelsocket.ppt

Well as a little update, my project recieved an honorable mention out of 233 entries in the International Housewares Competition and I got $200.

Not bad for my first competition. :D