Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest richardyounglim

Laptop Modelling

Guest richardyounglim

hi can anyone help me what is the best materials and process to model a laptop?

It would depend on your shape and what kind of final presentation you wanted to give it. Did you want to model it to be a similar weight, any functionality (buttons, clips, locking mechanisms etc...). Have you got any drawings you are able to show?

Guest Travisimo

I've made ( or directed people to make ) several laptop models.

It makes it a little easier if your planning a model that will be a part of a known brand so you can pick up some production keyboard parts. This obviously doesn't work if you want to re-layout the keyboard or use a fancy type - but many of the QWERTY keyboard key footprint will be the same because ISO compliance.

Picking up real laptop hinges and designing them in is a good idea. They have the perfect friction for a laptop ( for a good reason ). There are a lot to choose from and you can pick one from a similarly sized real laptop for realistic friction. I usually lay out the model in pro, built around real components, build in the plastic design Im shooting for, and then use the CAD model to send out for parts.

For just appearance models, CNCed or carved foam is great for rough forms... seen alot of thoose; both rough and finished. I would make sure to model your design around real(istic) internal parts - alot of the components are standard now. If you can talk to a ME, he could give good advice about how the structure would work.. the hinge is a major weak point and in a real design, there would be serious engineering around it so it wouldn't fail. A lot of what looks cool in laptops is how they package the components in a slim sexy way, and they only way you could recreate thoose kinds of challenges is to make the design realistic.

Recently I had to make a prototype demo, so that was a combination of CNCed ABS ( for the structural parts ), production laptop hinges / screen / keyboard, semi-custom electonics, and SLA for other major parts. I think all the major body pieces cost around $1800 in the the US.

maybe more info than you asked for, but Hope this helps!

this was made from Ren-Foam and finished... real keyboard. I forget what I used as the hinges for this one...

post-3129-1138759924.jpg

these pics were from the working prototype... all I had was 3 weeks before CES last year!

post-3129-1138760381.jpg

post-3129-1138760567.jpg

Guest Travisimo

Sure man, heres what I can easily scrounge up.. might need to be reoordered a bit to tell a better story

First fit test with production laptop hinges...

post-3129-1138761934.jpg

careful fit test with working electronics...

post-3129-1138762083.jpg

first power up test with screen installed...

post-3129-1138762167.jpg

my lady being very patient that night....

post-3129-1138762235.jpg

an early concept that wasn't feasable at the time...

post-3129-1138762752.jpg

another rough concept... since these are just for me and super rushed, I usually don't finess the renderings as much as you guys here, but I ( think ) I can see when the design will be right...

post-3129-1138763002.jpg

That's all I can find on my lappy... there are tons of sketches but thats a lot of work to scan!

Nice process work Travisimo. Great to see a fully functioning design. Are you going into a larger production of your design?

Would like to see which way richardyounglim is taking his project. Being a student, I was thinking he was wanting to do a block model as a working prototype would be a bit expensive for a uni student.

Which tablet do you use for your sketching?

Guest Travisimo

I figured that he would not be taking his design as far as this concept notebook, but since I had done one and had some experience with the challenges, I wanted to show him some real world examples of laptop development. In a well equiped shop having a CNC, a student really could do everything I had done with this concept, and probably in a flashier way at that

Richardyounglim, what is it exactly that your planning to model? Im curious too

as far as real production, thats up to my superiors to decide, but I have my fingers crossed. As far as the concept, it accomplished what was required for the CES demo... a working laptop with our removeable core computer in under a month.

The sketches were scanned in pencil thumbnails.. colored in photoshop. I'm still trying to get the hang of tablets, maybe someday...

Guest Neal_Jose

There is no such thing as "Best" anything. Your question will only solicit lots of other people's BIASED opinions.

Your specific requirements are: "documentation, advertising, doing business presentations. Budget is USD 1,000", so virtually any brand of PC in the $500 - $1000 range will do, if it can DO all those things.

So: Use the web to do your own research, paying attention to reviews by people who bought "Brand X" or "Brand Y" and why they like it. Then, go to your local store and take one you like for a test drive.

YOU are the only one that can decide what is "Best" for YOU.

NOTE: I'm deliberately keeping my preferences to myself, to avoid clouding your judgment.

Tommy Bahama 

Travisimo

as I got it right You are up to deliver prototypes same as end/finished models(Pro/E in particular)?

So You are also(this is the way I see it), responsible for material selection and overall shipping conditions like: texture, painting and what I am most interested in tolerancing?

If so, can You put some more light on mentioned above area, specialy material selection and tolerances, i.e - min/max offset taken between parts. I am also interested in wallthickness development. Does it depend from any conditions or it ussual wall thickness regarding laptop development?

I think ABS with CNC would be the best choice,our company is specializing in making prototypes or models for more than 10 years.

I think laptop designing is similar to mobile housing designing. Till now i worked in candy bar mobile design and i don't have that much of idea about touch phone design. If some one have knowledge about touch phone design, please help me.

if you just need a model, I think it`s the best to use ABS, canse it`s easy to process and stick. and also it`s have good strength.