Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest joe p

Can You Mimic Gravity In Solidworks?

Guest joe p

Hello, I was just wondering if it is possible to accelerate objects in Solidworks for animation purposes. I know there is a gravity feature in the animation simulation wizard, but that does not actually accelerate the object onscreen. I am looking for a way to accelerate an object onscreen to make the animation look realistic.

Thanks

Could CosmosWorks solve this ? (mechanics, materials strength, ...)

I prefer to stay with SolidWorks for the ease of use,

but if necessary I would consider "mathematical" software like Simulink.

What do you recommend?

Guest bildder

CosmosWorks?

It is rather Cosmos/Simulation Motion...

CosmosWorks provides only stress analysis , in SW Premium u can solve only static and linear issues.

Look at attached picture.

post-16124-1237580730.jpg

Guest kaiza

I just checked this out in SW. It is possible to simulate gravity in SW without the need to use COSMOSWorks.

Here's how to do it.

1. Position your parts in your assembly.

2. Click on the MotionStudy tab. Add gravity and 3D Contact. Gravity needs a direction - pick the top plane for up/down gravity. 3D Contact ensures our parts will collide. You only need to pick the parts that will touch each other in the animation.

3. Drag the slider for however long you want the animation (adding gravity simulation already adds some time, but you can ignore this).

4. You must press the Calculate option for the simulation to be updated. This is sort of like Rebuilding but for animation.

Press play!

I've included my quick demo SW assembly in a RAR too. As you can see, the parts simulate reasonably well, although you need COSMOSWorks if you want to simulate stuff like friction.

post-3355-1237898411.jpg

accel.zip

Is it possible that MotionStudy is a new thing?

Maybe it's time for me to look for a new version, I couldn't open your assembly either. ;)

So if I understand well;

Question one is a combination of gravity and rolling resistance so that's for CosmosWorks? (http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=10504)

Question two can be done through MotionStudy?

Question three directly follows the above to take the angular momentum into account?

And what about materials strength?

Sorry if these questions sound stupid, it's just that I've never done this before...

Guest kaiza

The files and assembly were done in SW2008. I don't think I did any animation in 07, but doing this in 08 I was confused at first because motion study used to be called the simulation toolbar...

The wheel is going to lean once the combined CG of the rider and the wheel moves past the edge of the two larger diameter inner rims of your wheel. You can do CG in SW statically.

All calculations involving momentum, etc need to be done in CosmosWorks, although I don't have any experience with CosmosMotion.

Guest retrospec

cosmos can probably do it, but doing simulation study in solidworks is probably not that advanced at all

Guest bildder

If you want to show only gravity don't need Cosmos/Simulation add-ins.

and