Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
parel

Solidworks Demo For Industrial Design

Guest BryceVTR250

I like this tutorial alot. But I don't have solidworks i have Autodesk inventor. so im attempting to recreate this tutorial in inventor. my biggest dificulty at the moment is i can't seem to get the surfaces to mirror? anyone know how to get around this?

Guest BryceVTR250

how did you make the top surface? are they two halves. I keep getting bulges at either end of the top loft (it ends up looking like a butt-crack) sorry thats the best way to describe it.

The top surface is a loft that is then trimmed.

Say no to crack- If inventor has the option, make the surface normal to the sketch, or create a reference surface (extruded curve) and then create surfaces tangent to it.

Guest BryceVTR250

oh i figured it out. can't use the 3d lines i created i needed to use the lower loft surface edges and make them tangent. no triming required. I relised my rails didnt need to be half sections. I used the surface edge- top feature curve and then the edge on the other side and got one surface instead of having to make one for either side eliminating my crack problem. I built the lower body loft first before i made the top.

heres what i got so far

newmouse.jpg

Guest BryceVTR250

finished tada!

ivmouserender.jpg

the process was relativly similiar exept in 3 areas. #1 3d lines built with work or sketch points are not easily manipulated alone, you can't just drag one in any direction. so instead i used surface extrusion intersections to get the 3d lines. 2 it's a big pain to get scanned sketches into inventor. so i kinda had too wing the sketches i made . 3 were the ribs. theres no deform type of command in inventor that i know of. so i had to project the axis of the gripp profiles onto the surface get the 3d line from the surface intersection and then sweep out an elipse profile along each line and the revolve the ends.

Guest proedesigner

Parel,

Thanks a ton for providing this highly valuable tutorial on surface design for solidworks. With SoldiWorks2006 just coming out, could you spend some time re-evaluating the toolbar section of the tutorial and provide any updates/revisions in regards to setup for Industrial Design purposes? I'm just getting started with SW and taking advantage of all the latest tools is very important to me.

Thanks,

proedesigner

Guest patywagon

hey has the original sketches been shown yet?

the ones doign all the guide curves to teh first and second surface loft?

i'd really like to see how that was done!

thanks

james

Guest scb

parel...someone...please tell me that this picture:

post-313-1132280806.gif

is from solidworks 2006!!!!!!!!!!i so frustrated that splines in 2005 don' have cvs....oh boy, and if this image is from 2005, how in the heck do you make it so splines use cv's and not those silly handles that make nice curvature practically impossible.

-s

I cant see the image, but from your description, it is from 2006. However the spline control points are stupid and not usable like you would expect. Oh well- another wasted opportunity. However they are improved. But still sorely lacking

Guest scb

ah well..see i just love using rhino to make curves and then i can yank on the cv's...even illustator sucks at this......curavture of curves is always perfect in rhino/alias and if soliworks could do this, even if only on a planar level, it would be amazing...

-s

Guest w i l l

Parel, you said to convert a 3D to 2D sketch you do;

Create a plane using three points that pass through the 3D sketch.

Then convert entities to create the 2D sketch.

How do you convert entities though. Do you roll back to before the plane and do edit sketch to convert entities?

Also,

When would you use, 'project curve' rather than 'intersection curve' to apply a sketch curve to a surface. I can't seem to use the sketch to create a feature (such as an extrude) when using 'project curve' so when would you use 'project curve'?

cheers.

Guest Joe McGlynn

Thanks for a great tutorial! I was able to follow along without any problems, this was a good bit of information. Of course determining the strategy and getting the 3D curves down is the hard part (well, for me anyway)

Here is mine

post-4125-1135500406.jpg

w i l l

The 3D sketch itself does not get converted per se. All that happens is that it gets projected onto a single plane. So you insert a new 2D sketch onto the plane and then start converting from the 3D sketch. Still can be tricky though

As for project curve, I am not fond of it for the reason you stated. The curves have to be copied by starting a 3D sketch, and then doing convert entities on the 3D curve to convert it into a sketch. For some reason Solidworks distinguishes between curves and sketches. Seems stupid. I am sure it is some legacy isse with regenerating files from 2004 and previous.

Joe McGlynn

You are absolutely right about curve creation being the hard part. Honestly it would take a long time going through and stating different modeling strategies. Thank you for sharing your model. Welcome to the site. Hope to see more stuff from you :) (mmmmm..choppers)