Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
parel

Solidworks Demo For Industrial Design

Guest IvanRD

Hi all, I just thought I'd mention CONFIGURATIONS. This is a definite strength in Solidworks, as you can have multiple Configurations within one file - for those parts that can have multiple versions.

For example, all my standard fasteners and parts are done with Configs. When you want to replace an M3 screw with an M4 in an assembly - no need to re-attach assembly relationships (mates) - just replace the configuration and everything stays intact.

You have to see it to beleive it, but configurations are very useful. :) I know, since I am a SolidEdge convert...

Guest charly_senn

Hi All,

I've been a reader of these pages for a while now and decided to register in order to upload my Mouse rendering as a means to thank Parel for an excellent tutorial.

I've been using SW for 4 years or so (2.5 years commercially) and still learnt a tonne from the tutorial.

Without further a do, here's my rendering. Modelled in SW2005 and rendered in Photoworks 2. It's not a perfect rendering by any stretch of the imagination but the best I've done to date. It took the best part of a morning to get to this stage, but this included tweaking of the scene through to custom materials, lights etc etc.

Thanks Parel!

Charly

post-2827-1124459731.jpg

Guest kitchenstuff

Charly,

Good work on the modeling and the render. I've just spotted this tutorial and will surely be working through it as it covers the surfacing I want to brush up on in Solidworks. Just like Sayre, I've come to Solidworks after many years with Pro-e and I'm looking for ways to link surfaces like Pro-e might do with the master model merge technique or the advanced assembly extension's copy geometry command. Schwinndk's tip about taking a surface body, right clicking, and choosing "insert into a new part" has helped me out today.

Thanks.

Guest Bruno46

Hi, just completed; well almost, the mouse, but ran into trouble on the deform. Each time I tried it the bottom body shifted to the left (front of mouse) turned yellow as though it was the whole preview, but no ribs. I did notice that after selecting the revolve and target curves that the target curve did not reflect the revolve shape, but stayed a straight line. I tried the deform command on another surface I generated, but the same result - what is going wrong? sw 2005.

Guest antonio_meze

Hello,

The tutorial file was already filled with all the sketches but there are 3 of them which I don’t know how to make myself. It is the curves that are present in the 3 planes and are used as guide curves for generating the side surface of the mouse. A section of that curve is on the front plane and also on the lofted top surface. How did you make this?

Thank you,

Antonio

PS. Your tutorial was extremely helpful

Guest antonio_meze
Hi, just completed; well almost, the mouse, but ran into trouble on the deform. Each time I tried it the bottom body shifted to the left (front of mouse) turned yellow as though it was the whole preview, but no ribs. I did notice that after selecting the revolve and target curves that the target curve did not reflect the revolve shape, but stayed a straight line. I tried the deform command on another surface I generated, but the same result - what is going wrong? sw 2005.

Hello Bruno

Your problem is that in the deform region your are probably selecting the body of the mouse. This is wrong. You should select the small revolved body that was created next to the mouse because that is the body that you want to deform and not the mouse.

succes,

Antonio

Guest Bruno46

Antonio, what a hero you are!! that was exactely what I was doing. I obviously had a wrong understanding of the deform command. Now it's obvious - Duh!

Thanks again.

antonio_meze,

Those sketches are made with Intersection Curves and splines. Ill try and provide some images later, but basically an intersection curve is created between two surfaces, at their intersection. In this case it is the intersection between the trimmed surface and the Construction Plane.

Then I created a spline curve with three points. This spline was then constrained with the following relations:

1) Tangency relation to the Intersection curve

2) The middle point had a Pierce Contraint with the 3D sketch

3) The end point was Pierced to the footprint of the mouse

charly_senn

thanks for posting your render. You have a very intersting grip area. I think that it would probably work better than the demo file. Very cool. What kind of studio setup do you prefer?

I didnt notice the activity here, the last few days. It is good to see our members are really helping each other out. Awesome!

Hope this helps for now

Guest charly_senn

Parel,

thanks for the feedback. When I did your tute, I only used your sketches and then followed your instructions filling in the blanks that the demo files would have held. So I took a bit of artistic licence on the grip deform. I've rendered the mouse up again to try and show them better - not too much luck.

As for the studio set up, it's probably easiest if I post some screenshots of the material / scene settings. This might help some others get somewhere close.

I'm not so good in PhotoWorks so I am sure I don't need all the boxes ticked as I did in the illumination settings especially.

I saw your renderings and was very impressed with how they caught the light. This is what I was trying to achieve in my earlier posted rendering - this is why it took me the best part of the morning to get to that rendering! There's about 6 lights set very badly in the scene - I just wanted to get 1 decent rendering out - sorry

Charly

post-2827-1124795469.jpg

Guest charly_senn

scene settings:

NB, floor material is down as blue pastic, but I changed the colour to white - it's just poor housekeeping on the material name.

post-2827-1124795799.jpg

Guest andres_pad

This is My first post here, looks like a pretty awesome site.

im a first year ID student at the Uni of South Australia. i learnt Solidwork during last semester.

heres a mouse i did and finished (enitrely myself :)) over the last couple of weeks...

mouse.jpg

sorry if posting my own images isnt the done thing or something, let me know

Weell- we typically try and stick with one topic but I reckon its allright to post your own mouse model :) Looks like a good start though some of the lines could do with some cleaning up

Welcome to the boards andres_pad!

Guest andres_pad

thanks, yeah im happy. and sorry for posting it here.

also, i dont think that the deform feature is in SW2003. thats what im using because we're waiting for uni to upgrade and we therfore cant use a higher version