Product Design Forums

3D Printing Services
dog crates nz
parel

Solidworks Demo For Industrial Design

If anyone has has feedback please PM me. I would appreciate the info. Pretty exciting that there have been more then 10,000 views!

Guest thydzik

Hi

I'm a newbie to solidworks, i started trying the 3d splines but stopped because it was so annoying to use.

I managed to find a better method that allows for more control with the curves.

You draw the top and right splines as separate 2D sketches, then select 'project curve' and select both sketches the outcome is the 3D curve your after.

I'm now going to follow the rest of your tutorial, as its extremely helpful.

thanks

EDIT: i've just realised that whats created is a curve not a sketch, and I can't seam to be able to mirror it...

EDIT2: how did you mirror your 3D sketches?

For some reason you cant mirror curves or 3D curves yet. What I typically end up doing is modeling the half model and then mirroring it. Then I tweak the driving curves to update the mirrored geometry. It would be much less resource intensive if you could mirror/virtual mirror a spline cage.

:) LOL the 3d sketch curve is finnicky. Your method is a standard practise in Solidworks for curve generation. I am hoping that the beta coming out will solve these issues with the 3D sketches. At the Solidworksworld Conference this year a stated goal this upcoming release was to "win the hearts of consumer product designers (ie ID)" Lets hope that this promise carries through.

Guest kris_modeler

I didn't know you can do this stuff in solidworks. I know Rhino3d and I am learning Solidworks and I like the approach of this tutorial in Solidworks,

I have a question. I am having a problem with making a planar surface.

does planar surface work only with 2d Sketch curve?

is it possible to convert 3d Sketch curve to 2d Sketch curve?

thanks, great tutorial.

are there going to be other tutorials?

The program does not make a planar surface when the input curves are not planar. Make sure that all the edges used to create the surface are planar.

To remedy the situation, you could do a surface extrude very close to the planar edge and mutually trim the sorrounding surfaces and the extrude.

Re: 3D to 2D sketch.

Create a plane using three points that pass through the 3D sketch.

Then convert entities to create the 2D sketch.

Re: does planar surface work only with 2d Sketch curve?

Planar surfaces will work with any planar input from surface edges, 2D sketches or 3D sketches. The only condition is that the inputs all need to lie on the same plane.

Guest allenhung

Hi master,

I am so appreciated for the skill that you taught us. Thank you very much for your hard work, here is my homework according your curve file.

I think it is important to make it clear the function how to bulit the shape before you beigin. and I think it is not easy for me to make the stech that you inform us. i need more lesson to practice.

another question is I find the final render you made is very amazing, but I don't know how to get such effect in photoworks. hopefully we can leern such skill from you later.

af all, I appreciat for your good lesson. I am a chinese and a biginner on the software and the ID field. Thanks again.

allen

post-8-1115268403.jpg

Allen-very nice! I am glad that you made it through the tutorial! You are the first to post work. Could you PM me regarding what you found easy and challenging? This will help me formulate better tut later on.

If anyone has completed the model please feel free to post screen grabs

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=781 for render setup

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.php?showtopic=1177 for more on h

Guest AcidRatZ

I've been using SolidWorks for about 5 years, mainly machine design and sheetmetal work. I haven't had the opportunity to work with surfaces -- much.

Your tutorial is one of the best on the net, really appreciated. The deform command is something I would have never used and or figured out that you can use it the way you did!

I have thought about attending my VAR's advanced course, but the cost is somewhat prohibitive and not sure it would cover surfacing in depth. Finding useful stuff like this on the net is real help. If you ever run short of work you should write a tutorial / book / guide / CD on surfacing / industrial design with SolidWorks. Such guides are extremely lacking :D , I and a lot of others would be more than happy to pay for such a guide.

Regards

AcidRatz

:D

Guest addk2

thought it's simple and user friendly interface, solidworks is more for mech. engeniers.

I have an experience with unigraphics and solid edge.. (the last one is prety like solidworks)

for speed, accurate surfaces, and flexible work,i use rhino, i will never change it.

with nPOWER plug in, one can perform mechanical tasks as well.

Guest ParaCAD

here's mine. New to rendering, And just so so with Surfacing. Used Photoworks. Still have a lot to learn. Thanks for the tutorial. Any future surfacing tutorials that are more advances and using other surfacing functions?

Mouse_tut.bmp.jpg

Guest sayre

Parel

Great tutorial !!

I'm a Pro/e veteran of 11 years, but we are looking at Solidworks as a possible replacement in the future. So it was great to see how solidworks handle some real life top down design.

My question is having created this mouse "master" model with it's 4 solids, how does solidworks deal with taking a "linked" copy of one of the solids into a new part for further detailing.

In pro/e you can use a variety of commands to take parametric copies of surfaces etc into new parts, so that you can change a dimension etc in the master which will ripple through to the part file.

Thanks in advance

Stephen

Guest schwinndk

Hi Sayre

This is no problem in Solidworks. You have the ability to both inserting surfaces and parts both linked and non linked into new "parts". (An example) right klik on a surface or a body in the designtree, then insert it to a new part. This can be done with both solids and surfaces.

A nother way to do it, is to open a assembly, and from there klick insert - component - chouse part, or assembly. This is a good way to modify parts, if you have a ground shape of a thing witch shape is the same in all 100 parts, but there need to be a small change on to each of them. If then any changes is to happen to the ground shape, just change it to the master part, and it will change it on all 100. If you get my point!.

Also yo can modify parts on an assembly by edditing the part, and use other combined parts surfaces to ajust this one part. This can be done with or without references. This is also just some of the ways to do it in Solidworks. I hope it helped with some of your questions.