Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
parel

Solidworks Demo For Industrial Design

Guest RobMay
This is what you should see when you open the file from the beginning of the tutorial. You will see a trimmed surface loft and a bunch of curves. I wanted to start with just curves, but the side section curves are created with curves that are tangent to the trimmed loft surface. The side section curves are also constrained to pierce the 3D character line that we previously created

I seem to be missing something here; the tutorial has jumped from a single 3d sketch to a half built model!

At the moment i have the sketch planes with the 3d sketch but there is nothing showing me how to get from here to the part of the tutorial i have quoted. It mentions opening a file from the beginning of the tutorial, do i need to download this file from somewhere?

Thanks

Sorry RobMay- It was my first tut and I didnt have a lot of time to go into a lot of the details. You can download the file from the link in the first post.

I do backtrack later and explain how to make some of the curves etc:

Guest RobMay

Cheers for the fast response Parel.

Hopefully i'll have a completed model rendering to post soon and see how i compare. I've been after some help with the surfacing features of solidworks for a while so this tutorial fits the bill perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Guest RobMay

Here's my rendering attempt after a couple of hours tweaking. Feedback and opinions are weclomed. Gonna try some of the techniques shown in the PWx tutorial that Parel has been so kind to provide later.

Also going to drop it into StudioTools and see how the renders compare, i'll post this as and wen it is done.

Thanks again Parel, excellent tutorial.

Rob

post-4195-1141140872.jpg

Guest MR-A
Feedback and opinions are weclomed.

The rendering looks quiet nice and realistic. I do like it.

There are minor adjustments could be done to better define shape.

Area indicated looks a little flat.

post-4533-1141150170.jpg

The color of the floor is “???â€Â. I could be wrong but turquoise doesn’t work for me.

Also,

I’ve noticed in some of the participants renderings, including yours, the mouse don’t sit on the floor. It’s kinda hovering in the air instead.

Unless that was your design intent.

Other than that, I think you're on the right track.

Guest RobMay

MR-A:

I thought that about the floor to, it was set to be level with the base of the model but for some reason that didn't work!!

I think it needs som adjustments to the lights, especially in the area u've mentioned but need more practise with them.

As for the floor i think thats a reflection of the sky coz in my smaller test renders it was a darker metallic surface, still ironing out some of the niggles!!

thanks for ur feed back

Guest mas2

okay i am doing this in SWX 2004 and have had to go about it a different way

i drew a sketch on the top plane for the right hand side profile of the mouse

then drew a sketch on the right plane for the side profile of the mouse

next i put in 3 guide curves that are pierced and normal to both of these sketches and lofted between them

so effectively i have half a solid mouse

the problem occurs when i mirror this half and render it i end up with a ridgeline through the centre of my mouse

anyone got any ideas on how to make it a smooth transition?

Guest MR-A

If I understand what you’re trying to explain correctly, then you have to follow directions on the image:

post-4533-1141189871.jpg

This will ensure that there is no ridgeline on your mouse.

Don't forget to knit all surfaces.

Good luck!!!

Guest mas2

thankyou very much IT WORKED!!!

also why should i surface knit?

thankyou again

Guest MR-A
thankyou very much IT WORKED!!!

also why should i surface knit?

thankyou again

During construction of your mouse you have created multiple surfaces to get desired shape. In mind of SolidWorks they all are considered as independent entities, even though they belong to the same feature. Surface Knit puts them together, as you would do with jig saw puzzle, and turns them into one uniform surface. After the surfaces have been knitted together, the operation like Insert, Boss, Thicken becomes possible.

Guest menappi

parel, how did you get sucha nice render, i dont understand the process, you combined 3 rendered images? could you elaborate more on what you did?

Guest MR-A

Menappi,

this is for you as promissed...

post-4533-1141575820.jpg

Offset entities command symbol.

Guest RobMay

Just used Alias ImageStudio to render my solidworks model of the mouse and this was how it came up:

post-4195-1141951046.jpg

This program is a godsend, so much easier (and quicker) than studio tools and easier and more controllable than photoworks. U shud all give it a go, u can download the 30 day free trial from the alias website.