Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
parel

Solidworks Demo For Industrial Design

w i l l

The 3D sketch itself does not get converted per se. All that happens is that it gets projected onto a single plane. So you insert a new 2D sketch onto the plane and then start converting from the 3D sketch. Still can be tricky though

As for project curve, I am not fond of it for the reason you stated. The curves have to be copied by starting a 3D sketch, and then doing convert entities on the 3D curve to convert it into a sketch. For some reason Solidworks distinguishes between curves and sketches. Seems stupid. I am sure it is some legacy isse with regenerating files from 2004 and previous.

Joe McGlynn

You are absolutely right about curve creation being the hard part. Honestly it would take a long time going through and stating different modeling strategies. Thank you for sharing your model. Welcome to the site. Hope to see more stuff from you :) (mmmmm..choppers)

Guest Joe McGlynn

OK, I have something that should be obvious but I'm stuck.

I wanted to try this tutorial without the "starter file", here is the problem: when I sketch a spline I only get points at the begining and end of the spline. What I'm doing is:

1. Create a sketch (2D in this case)

2. Click on the spline tool (I get crosshairs, not a pencil+spline mouse pointer like the help says)

3. Single click to start, click at each point, the spline seems to be developing OK, but there aren't any intermediate points

4. Double-click to end the spline...doesn't work. Hitting enter twice seem to end the spline.

This is in SW2005.

(yes, show spline handles is on)

This behavior seems odd, is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Guest mikle955

Hi Parel! Happy New 2006 Year! Happy New 2006 SolidWorks!

I have decided to publish here my (but it's yours, of course!)

mouse... I would be glad to buy such a mouse in one

of my local computer shops....

And again, and again thank you so much for your tutorial!...

You are a very good teacher... Please provide us another tutorials...

Pleaseeeeeeeeeee.....

post-4047-1135972403.jpg

Guest Zuesdawg

Joe, click on the main arrow pointer, then click on the spline.

One you have the spline clicked (it should change to a green color) , right click and scroll down to <Insert Spline Point>

When you reclick on the spline, it will let you scroll between each point and adjust accordingly

Just email if you need screen shots or anything.. .

later, Bryan

Guest Joe McGlynn

I'm doing something wrong.

First, just drawing a spline.

1. Create a 2D sketch

2. click on the spline tool

3. click once on the drawing surface. Move the mouse, a line. Click again, and the line is curved...it's added an invisible spline point. Continue moving the mouse and clicking.

4. Finish by pressing enter once, then moving the mouse to set the tangency for the two ends of the spline (followed by an enter for each end)

5. I have a serpentine line, but when I select it there are only two points -- one on each end. No control points.

What I've been doing as a work-around is to draw a simple spline this way, use "fit spline" and then "simplify spline" to get a properly behaving spline.

I'm on SW2006 SP2 now, it has the same behavior as SW 2005.

post-4125-1136526738.jpg

Guest IvanRD

Joe, it's because you have the Solidworks 2D emulator switched on. (Autocrap look-a-like interface)

Switch it off ASAP, it does not help to switch from Autocad - you just have to get used to a different way of doing things.

Tools -> Add ins -> Solidworks 2D emulator

Guest FunTimePartyTeam

Hello,

I just found this forum/tutorial at the end of last week. Ive never had a chance to get to know the SW surfaces, and just wanted to say thanks. Here's my mouse...

ParelsMouse.jpg

Boo Yah!

Guest MR-A

MR. PAREL,

I CERTAINLY APPRECIATE THE TUTORIAL, DEFINITELY SOME GOOD STUFF TO LEARN!

THERE A COUPLE OF THINGS I DON’T QUIET GET AND HOPE YOU COULD CLARIFY FOR ME...

1. WAS THIS MOUSE DONE AS ONE PIECE TO SAVE TIME?

2. AS YOU COULD SEE MY MOUSE HAVE NO RIBS (HOPE NO OFFENCE TAKEN, I HAVE ADDED THEM ONTO THE WHEEL

INSTEAD). SO, AS I WAS SAYING, THE EXECUTION OF THE RIBS COULD HAVE BEEN DONE SLIGHTLY IN A

DIFFERENT WAY...

3. HOW DO YOU CONTROL 3D SKETCH?

HERE IS ASSEMBLY OF THE MOUSE, DID IT LAST NIGHT...

ALL COMMENTS ARE WELCOME.

GREAT FORUM GUYS!

post-4533-1139200223.jpg

Guest Ralph Wiggum

How's it going everybody,

Here's my attempt at the mouse, dunno if you wanna be draggin your mouse on wooden floorboards, but there it is heehe.

Huge thanks to Parel, this forum appreciates all of your help and feedback.

post-3548-1139219877.jpg

Guest menappi

ok so i designed this mouse and im having the hardest time getting the splines to match up. they are good in top, then the right view is just destroyed, vice versa as i try to fix them. what do i do?

menappi - make sure that you are only manipulating in orithographics. Then if that still does not work- try manipulating by Sketch Triad (Right Click- show Sketch Triad)

MR-A consider editing the SHOUTED post

1. WAS THIS MOUSE DONE AS ONE PIECE TO SAVE TIME?

No- it is one piece because it is a method of design called top down modeling. This is when you want an organic part made of many parts to blend together smoothly. I am sure there are other reasons but thus is why I do it.

2. AS YOU COULD SEE MY MOUSE HAVE NO RIBS (HOPE NO OFFENCE TAKEN, I HAVE ADDED THEM ONTO THE WHEEL

INSTEAD). SO, AS I WAS SAYING, THE EXECUTION OF THE RIBS COULD HAVE BEEN DONE SLIGHTLY IN A

DIFFERENT WAY...

no offence taken (......grumble grumble)

3. HOW DO YOU CONTROL 3D SKETCH?

very carefully- however 06 is vastly improved

Ralph Wiggum- That wood is surprisingly good:) But I think that you should change that environment. Cool stuff-

Guest MR-A

Hey, thanks for the reply...

Ok, I am sorry I didn't mean to and actualy wasnt shouting at all.

I was at work and had to type fast so no one would see me, ok?

I promise that in the future I will try not to use the caps. Sorry...

Will you ever forgive me?

post-4533-1140107753.gif

Just kiddin,

its all cool.

P.S. I agree SW 2006 has gotten so much better!!!!

Guest menappi

hey parel, im trying to model my own mouse design, and so i created the 3d sketch with half of the mouse drawn out in splines, and when i go to loft it, i cant select the things i sketches. is there something special i need to do to be able to select them to b able to create the loft?