Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • At:Concept Center International

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:36 AM

Here are three stages of a render.

Rough Sketch and Sections.
I work in layers like a lot of designers here. The process starts off with rough sketches done here in Painter Classic. Dont worry about the line quality. As the sketch progresses, I find the forms that I like and then proceed to drop the opacity of the "scratchy line layer" to about 10% and sketch a layer on top with more precise lines. I use photoshop ellipses in Photoshop Elements here.
In many ways a wacom tablet is cheaper than a traditional rendering set complete with ellipses, markers, paper etc:
Attached File  1.jpg   233KB   493 downloads

First Stage:
work in greyscale to design the form. Dont worry about color at this point and calculate how the light plays off of your surfaces. As a rule of thumb surfaces facing the light can be rendered close to white with highlights, surfaces that are parallel to the light rays are the darkest and surfaces facing down recieve bounce light from the floor. This is a way to start
Attached File  CARR_copy2.JPG   71.19KB   912 downloads

#2 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:45 AM

Once you have a good greyscale then you can think about color. In this render I sparingly applied a purple color to a new layer (with transparency set to multiply) that I created on top of the greyscale. The secret to smooth color application, and this applies to the greyscale portion of this render as well- is to render with LARGE brushes. Use smaller brushes to erase away hard edges and use the lasso tool to get rid of large swathes of paint that you dont need

Attached Files

#3 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 04:53 AM

Once the color was in I realized that the sketch still looked a little hazy. So in Photoshop (PS) I adjusted the levels to bring out the purple a little more. The idea at this stage is to pass a blurry eye test ie when you blur your eyes the render should still pop, and have areas of interest. For this render it meant that the lights had to get lighter and the darks darker.

Then I made another pass with the digital airbrush to strengthen the line work and bring accentuate reflections and shadows.

Attached Files

#4 Guest_Dot Kite_*

Guest_Dot Kite_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2004 - 09:38 AM

Dear parel,

Nice stuff ! Really interesting to show the process of your sketching abilities!

It should be wonderful if you could post more of these works....!!!
I repeat again, great stuff!

Enjoy your day

#5 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • At:Springtime Industrial Design

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:06 AM

Awesome, don't mind if we pin this topic? ;)
  • Kallersoliolf likes this

#6 waikit

waikit

Founder & Admin

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts
  • At:Speck Design

Posted 02 September 2004 - 10:24 AM

thanks parel for your effort on this fantastic tutorial.

#7 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 September 2004 - 06:03 PM

You are welcome. Thanks for the pin!

#8 Guest_darsanru_*

Guest_darsanru_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2004 - 08:04 PM

wrooom.. great work and nice concept...
surely ur the kingpin

#9 Guest_DreaM_*

Guest_DreaM_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:12 AM

perfect and relaxive type of skecth !! It's really great how you can just do it without caring about the details, creating this whole concept in one picture...
tell us more about how you became to draw like this, what mistakes did you do before ?what do you suggest us i mean :)

respect the skills

#10 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 04:16 AM

Dream,
I think that the relaxed feel comes from the quality of the stroke. Actually the whole relaxed feel is a little calculated on my part. I tend to draw very rough sketches to figure out a shape with a lot of sections etc. After I find the shapes I like I pick some lines that I want to put down.

Rough sketches help me to understand what is going on with the shapes and this helps me to render the values of the shape well. so even the "spontaneous" feel of a sketch can be calculated.

#11 Guest_yogis_*

Guest_yogis_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:05 AM

dear lord what a great sketch

#12 Guest_ono_*

Guest_ono_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 09:11 PM

Very good job mate, I like the high contrast in the last image. Thanks for the effort.

#13 Guest_ditman_*

Guest_ditman_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2005 - 02:54 PM

nice one, in my college we use almost exclusively white paper, whats the story with the brow backing in some of the other sketches, is that just pastel on brown paper or what? P.s forgive my ignorance!!!

#14 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:45 PM

Hey! found some sketches on an old CD! BTW ditman- these are all digital sketches, but I use the digital counterpart to pencil, pastel and airbrush most of the time.

Attached Files

#15 Guest_Travisimo_*

Guest_Travisimo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:30 PM

really cool sketches!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store