Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
voodoo

Converting 3ds To Solidworks/pro Eng

I want to convert a 3DS model to Solidworks or Pro Eng.

I have tried DXF anf STL formats but I cannot import the full model object.

I have got hold of a model of a foot and want to import it ino my Solidworks design of a shoe.

I cant even get the 3DS image to appear on-screen never mind get the chance to edit it.

Are there any free conversion utils on the net I could use?

Any ideas?

Guest andyw

You can use FeatureWorks (which is within SolidWorks Premium) to recognise the features of the imported model such as extrudes, cuts, holes, planes etc.

Guest Travisimo

I've heard Step is a good file to transfer back and forth. PTC Granite is great for ProE too, if the original program has that option.

It always seems like I have to go in and fix problem surfaces in whatever format I use though... I hope I learn a better way on this thread

Guest mitsu50

Solidworks wont take a 3ds file.

As far as FeatureWorks, when you open a part, go to the FeatureWorks tool bar, and Select recognize features, then you select features you think it might convert. Then when you have all the features done, you slelct Map, and it will create a new file with SolidWorks features. The help file, and interactive tutorial that comes with it is pretty good. chances are if its a 3ds file, featureworks wont get you very far.

Try to export the 3ds file as a vrml from 3ds max, i've had some success with that. Good luck

I converted a 3DS Model (no material or lights) to VRML format.

I then imported the VRML file into SW2005.

Everything was fine until I tried to render the model. The model object doesn't

appear in my render window. I apply a material but it doesn't show up on the

render preview screen.

I can zoom and rotate the model but simply cant render it. Its as though its

not there!

How can I remedy this? What am I doing - or not doing?

Guest charly_senn
I can zoom and rotate the model but simply cant render it. Its as though its

not there!

How can I remedy this? What am I doing - or not doing?

Is the surface you imported just that?

Think if you can turn it into a solid - say by thickening it by a fraction of a mm, or by closing it off and creating a full solid it should render.

Not sure if there is the option in SW to render surfaces.

Charly

Guest IvanRD

I would say that the surface is way too heavy, or the actual model is only made up of verticies without surfaces?

In any case, you really have no need for Featureworks, as I don't imagine there are any features that you want to be able to edit on the foot!?

I've had .STL files import ok before, but I also had some problems when they were too heavy. Try .IGES surfaces export from Max and then import these into Solidworks (check import options first, don't form a solid etc.).

Since Solidworks is not a mesh based modeller, you may find that SW cannot handle this model very well. It would be easier to get the Solidworks model into Max and see how the two relate that way. Or is this only for the rendering anyway?

Ivan

I believe that Solidworks 2006 can apply materials to mesh models, but if you are in 2005, you are not going to be able to do a whole lot. You are a strange one :) I can honestly say that you are the first person I have seen who took a model from 3DS Max to Solidworks for rendering :)

Guest raghu

hi dude, parasolid format is very suited for such kind of work, so first get ur model in parasolid form and then bring it in solidworks with feature works on,automatically it will ask u ,if u wanna get ur features recognised,try it

rgrds

Ragz

Guest alanbradley

Hi there!

(actually "Hi All", this being my first post...)

I'm pretty sure you can export in that direction using "Nugraf", a small rendering package that we use at work for translating between the evil SolidEdge and 3DS.

Nugraf can be found on the Okino website

hth,

Alan

PS What about Rhino? It used to be pretty good at this sort of thing :thumbsup: