Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest AxelRod

Car In Solidworks

Guest Robomod

Man I would really appreciate it if posted a demo of how to model cars in solidworks. I know it's complicated, but it would be really helpful. Not that Parels demo did not help, but the more the better.

Robomod,

Axelrod very generously supplied the SW files for our perusal.

I found it to be VERY enlightening and learned some things I wouldn't have thought of and I've been modeling in SW for 8 years.

Muggs

Guest Lofty

AxelRod,

How much time did you put into the model of the truck? What version of SolidWorks did you use? How much computing power do you have?

Mike

Guest AxelRod

For the truck, id say 20-25 hours in modeling, and maybe a few hours tweaking the photoworks scene adding textures ect. As for the Pantera, about 30-35.

The machine i use is a Boxx Technologies 3DBoxx R1S. I won this machine at SolidWorks World 2002 for the Model Mania contest. (i was totaly stunned BTW!!!) The specs are as follows...

Tyan Thunder K7 S2462 MB

Dual AMD MP 1900+

1.5 GB Ram

Quadro 4 980XGL

160GB HD

I use this box for Video editing, solidworks, gaming, ect.... It does not like gaming Video cards for some reason though. I get the BSOD hardware error when i use any GeForce cards.

I also do a lot of work on a Laptop. Its a Dell M70 and is actually faster than my desktop. Doesnt have as much RAM, but the video will blow it away (Quadro FX go 1400 - 256mb).

Also some of you would like tutorials on how to model cars in solidworks. I am in the process of creating a tutorial to model a Viper in solidworks. I will probably post some things after the first of the year.

Stay tuned....

Guest stormelf

these are so cool man

you are fantastic.

i am a sw user but i caouldnt model such items. i wanna make models which has more 3d curves. for example like your buddy icon? :)

can you help me?

Guest jihoon

It's very impressive !!

Frankly speaking...I even feel some ashamed...because I have used SW since 2000.

I never thought about making model like yours with Sw before!!

For that kind of shape, I used Rhinoceros.

Your work is really encouraging me to do solidwork with 3D curve !!!

Thank you so much and Keep Going !!!!

Guest mbiasotti

AxelRod,

Very nice rendering. I was wondering if you would give me permission to post this in our gallery on our SolidWorks Website. I'm having an area of our website re-vamped to present a gallery of work from our customers that would basically show a photo or rendering of their product or work and a simple one line description. If this is agreeable to you, can you send me a high res. tiff or jpeg image and a one to two line description and I'll post it in our new gallery that is going live next month.

I would also like to extend this offer to any other ID's or Product Designers on the forum. You can email me directly. We will have a more formal process in place in the following months, but I'm trying to get this gallery started and I want to highlight some of the great SW/PW work from this forum.

BTW, I'm the product manager for SolidWorks core modeling and assembly functionality as well as the PM for PhotoWorks and Animator.

I'm very excited about our next release of PhotoWorks which will, in my estimation, be the most significant release of PW in 5 years.

You will be able to have a first look at it coming up in April when we launch 2007 Beta.

Kind Regards

Mark Biasotti

Product Manager

SolidWorks Corporation

mbiasotti@solidworks.com

Guest Nelu

nice work AxelRod

super news !!!

I'm ID student and we lear this year solidworks at school ....I hope AxelRod will finish the car tutorial soon :)...

I'm watching you :)

Guest Nelu

I can't see the link for tutorial...

...pantera_GTS_4.zip and 55_ford are the links for tutorial ????

Guest AxelRod

sorry, been away for a while. Yes Nelu, those are the files you need. They are not a tutorial, but just the SolidWorks models of the renderings i posted at the begining of this thread. Please use them to learn by. Have fun, and happy building!!!!

Guest slowhand
...I'm very excited about our next release of PhotoWorks which will, in my estimation, be the most significant release of PW in 5 years...
Hi Mark,

that sounds great. When I think back:

2003: change of kernel to mentalray (improved image quality: shadows, decals & 2D Materials)

2004: spherical environments, Indirect Illumination

2005: Caustics and GI

2006: Decal Editor, Camera, Depth of Field and little bit API

I hope I did nothing in misorder :)

...and now comes a major release - I'm exited too.

@AxelRod: Thank you for sharing your models - very good job.

@All: have a look at Rob Rodriguez Website. He has started a Photoworks Contest.

Kind regards,

Ralf