Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kaiza

About Uts Industrial Design

Guest kaiza

Hi, my name is Kieran and i'm a first year student studying Industrial Design at UTS, so bear with me if i dont know everything about the course :)

If youre interested in studying at UTS follow these links for information - i will be more than happy to try and answer any further questions you may have.

UTS Homepage

UTS Design, Architecture and Building

Guest Lin

hey k which of the three electives that we can chose from next semester would you recommend doing if i wanna work in australia cuase i know that doing transport wouldnt be so great cause oz dosent acutally design too many of their cars do they?

Guest charly_senn

Ford down in Melbourne might have something to say about that!

LOL

Is Bentley still teaching Transport design? Because you'll do other stuff apart from cars such as Buses and possible yachts too. So it's not the worst option if you want rendering practice time...

Guest kaiza

its hard to say, since i dont know a hell of a lot about the australian ID industry (and related fields).

dont forget that transport isnt just about cars. also keep in mind that there are quite a few small and innovative transport design businesses in australia. im pretty sure that most australian-specific cars (holdens, fords) are designed locally. Holden has a large design studio down in melbourne. by all accounts it is meant to be quite an advanced facility.

as for the other electives:

furniture design - quite a few companies design and make their own furniture over here - charles has designed a number of furniture items which have been manufactured over here. having said that, furniture design is a huge in places like italy.

object design - basically anything thats not furniture or transport. ive seen everything from mobilephone designs to slip cast pottery, so at least you will have a diverse portfolio come graduation!

with all of that in mind, my personal advice is to do what you think you would enjoy most - i imagine thats the reason you picked ID in the first place. the cold hard fact is that ID is not as big here as it is overseas - perhaps consider working overseas for a short period of time and then coming back here, maybe to start your own company ;)

charly: not sure if theres a bentley (lol nominative determinsm right there) teaching anymore - i'd ask some of my third-year friends but half of them are studying overseas at the moment.

Guest charly_senn

David Bentley - he's the guy that used to do the transport elective at least - he might still do?

Anyways, yes, Ford have a design studio down in Melbourne too - I managed to score a visit with the head of exterior down there whilst I was as UTS.

Anyway, I miss being a student and one in Sydney at that - that's why I piped up. I'll go back to being quiet now! lol

Charly

Guest Lin

thanks guys i guess ill have to do some exploration before i know what i wanna do next year. :)

Guest Jet Designs

Hey,

I am a UK based student looking for a Masters course abroad. Does UTS accept foreign students? I have checked the website but the details were a bit sketchy. I have also emailed one of the student advisors at the university but thought i'd ask on here to possibly get a quicker reply.

Regards

Elliot