Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest grays

50+ Mouse

Guest grays

hey for my 2nd year at university i've got to design a computer mouse aimed at people aged over fifty. is there anything anyone thinks i should take into account? cheers

Guest superbad

Off the top of my head, and these apply more toward people over 60: RSI (carpal tunnel), arthritis, Parkinson's (shaking hands), tactile feedback, impaired vision.

One thing I've noticed from watching older people (and younger people with little computer experience) use computers is that when they click on something, and there isn't an instant response, they click again repeatedly. Or they double click instead of single click, and vice versa. Even my dad, who uses computers a lot, will often double click hyperlinks and single click program icons.

Guest rodanx86

The type of design aimed at the older generation has been dubbed "universal design" There are tons of articles written about it (sorry, I don't have any references off-hand).

Very interesting challenge if you ask me. From what I understand, motor skills and visibility are the top two difficiencies with age. Imagine trying to open up an asperin bottle with thick mittens on with the fingers all taped up while wearing glasses covered with vasaline. Thats about how it feels to be old and interacting with a product intended for younger people.

Guest Grays4

hrmm....ask jeeves...now thats a classic...he always does it for me

2nd year DFI

maybe the solution should be something else. If the mouse is causing carpal tunnel , we should think about other solutions like eye control, or voice, or joysticks or a vat of motion sensitive goo or clay??