Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Magazines?

I've been looking for some interesting magazine subscriptions for product design, and I was curious if you are subscribed to any magazines and what you think of those?

So, lets hear it ;)

I was looking into these magazines for subscription:

vol111cover.jpg

http://www.axisinc.co.jp/English_f/AXmag-f.html

Japanese/English magazine

coveritms3.jpg

http://www.bispublishers.nl/Items/htm_item/items.htm

Dutch magazine

Cover39.jpg

http://www.framemag.com/

Dutch/English magazine

Something else: are you subscibed to magazines personally or do you get to read the stuff though your work and would you advice against subscription?

Guest Dot Kite

Nice topic Renzsu,

Well, where i work at the moment htey have a subscription with FRAME. I really like this magazine. I don't know, but i have the feeling that FRAME has something different among the other Design magazines.... I, personaly have a subscription with DOMUS and i m not always satisfied from their pubblications. Ofcourse i have to say that DOMUS is not only for design, but also for Architecture.

I also find an interesting magazine INTERNI! They usually have nice stuff...but i still prefer FRAME, the one that i m not subscribed...eheh!! ;)

Best Regards

Can you tell me a bit more about those magazines? For example, are they mostly about interior or fashion design?

Form looked interesting, but from the website I couldn't really tell whether I would find it interesting or not, it's just the same old marketing mumbo jumbo about how great the magazine is..

Guest yeddeync

Car Styling magazine has good renders, and some interesting tips...you should check it out.

Guest yeddeync

Also, my uncle designs for nike....he suggest that i read: Axis, Wallpaper, Car Styling, and ID Mag. I would take his advice for yourself as well renz.

Yeddeync, I know about Car Styling, nice Japanese/English magazine. I like how they seem to put more information in a magazine than the Auto&Design magazine (which has nicer photo material I think).

Nice tip from your uncle, I don't think I can afford 4 magazine subscriptions at the moment, I will probably stick with 2 to start with.

FRAME is a nice magazine that I really like to see, but come to think of it, it's mostly interior stuff.. which isn't really high on my priority list anyways.

Gotta flip through an issue of ID Mag.. haven't read that for a long time, I wonder how it looks now.

Guest Aphasia

Where can i get my hands on a copy of ID Mag, i couldnt find a copy in the Tate Modern Shop.

Sometimes i read Creative Review. Blueprint and Design Week are often on my list but the design magazines are often lacking in what i look for in a magazine. I have a friend who subscribes to a good mag, can't remember the name, i will try and find out!

ID? Hm.. I usually find it in the big magazine stores.

I agree that most of these magazines are full with stuff that doesn't really interest me directly, but often they are full with material that's perfect for collages or moodboards. Wish they would pay a little bit more attention to products besides the usual couches and chairs (not that I don't like them, but I would like to see some variation.)

Interested in that unknown mag of your friend btw :D

Guest yeddeync

Yeah, i found that ID does tend to have a lot of furniture in them. I have read the recent ones, the are okay.... Also, Them seem to have more pages of advertisements than products and articles....which i guess they need to keep the magazine running. Axis is a cool magazine, but small pictures..i think? I will flip through an Axis tomorrow in my school library and put a post up about it for you.

Auto&Design, very cool magazine, waikit has a subscription to it. I occasionally buy seperate issues of it. I forgot to mention it here, but yeah, it's on my wanted list.. I realy need to see first if I can even afford to subscribe to these kinds of magazines though hehe..