Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest izod

Izod Portfolio

Guest izod

Hi, I'd love to hear opinions on some of my work from last year:

izod coroflot

I'm studying at Glasgow School of Art, doing an MEng in Product Design Engineering - I look forward to hearing some international feedback!

Cheers

Martin

Impressive project for an engineer (well for a ID student too)- it looks like you have picked up skills like graphic design and presentation, not to mention aesthetics, that will definitely give you a MAJOR edge over your peers' ghastly engineering presentations (I don't think that I am mean when I say this :D)

Your project would definitely give a lot of seizure patients peace of mind. Having suffered from viral meningitis. I walk on egg-shells myself every time my butt falls asleep "Is it another seizure???" Perhaps patients can use this to give themselves feedback about whether they are in a "safe zone"

I wonder if you could get Nokia/(insert any major cell manufacturer) to make it function as a cell phone , then there would be less clutter for the patient and you could make use of robust cell phone networks.

Perhaps the limb-transmitter is a blue-tooth transmitter to your cell phone?? It would be a simple matter to add a program to an existing cell and buy the limb transmitter as an accessory. You could program the cell to detect other aberrations and all of a sudden you can generalize the product for a broader audience-like joggers who measure heart-rate or octogenarians who want protection against heart attacks.

Good stuff. I would like to see how an engineer comes to his solutions. If you posted your rough sketches and prototypes, that makes for a more compelling story.

Guest izod

Hi Parel, thanks for your comments, very insightful.

Your suggestions about incorporating the alarm function into a mobile phone is something I considered in the early design phases. The reason I decided against it is a relatively high proportion of those with epilepsy also have learning difficulties - therefore the less complicated the product, the better, from this perspective.

As for alternative uses for the product, you're also on the mark. Right now my aim is to develop the epilepsy alarm so that it functions effectively, then I'll think about other applications.

I agree with your point about more prototypes etc. I'll work on posting that soon.

Our course is designed to produce engineers with commercial, aesthetic and user awareness, it means a lot that you think I've got an advantage over other engineers. Thanks.

Guest rodanx86

izod,

Very good stuff. I can only noticed two things slightly out of place. The photo of the user putting the pod in his pocket doesn't have any shadows on it from the hand. Adding in a shadow will make that photo look even more real.

Also, I noticed that you have an SLA protoype of the model, but no finished model in your presentation. Are you still painting it, or what? If you have a decent model to show, that will go a lot further than just the rough SLA.

Guest izod

I'm really so happy that you guys think my work is credible, thanks again. this is my first time displaying in a public forum, so your responses are valued.

rodanx, you're totally right about the shadow - i'm sure i put it in at some point, but i must have saved this jpeg from an earlier version and lost it - i'll put it in shortly.

as for the SLA - i assembled a proper presentation model and put it on display at my degree show. before i had a chance to put a perspex box round it, people had touched it and damaged it, so i only have photos of it in it's semi-damaged state. i could post these?? or i could just repair the model (time consuming!)

Guest izod

Next in life or with regards to my online portfolio? lol

Well, I'm just starting my Masters year at uni. I'm working on the redesign of a dental articulator - used in corrective surgery - it's designed to help surgeons position jaws correctly after they've cut them free.

Just now, poor design can lead to people with jaws 20-30mm out of position - my job is to work with Glasgow's dental school to try and eradicate this...

It's an interesting challenge, but not necessarily ideal (I was hoping to work on a sustainable project, but failed to find a suitable opportunity for this year).

What about you? What do you do?