Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dot Kite

Design Management

Guest Dot Kite

Dear members of PDF,

What are your thoughts about design management? How many of you, are interested into having further education about this topic? Do you think Design Management is important nowday?

If someone is interested, i would like to exchange some opinions over here.

Peaceful wishes to all of you . . .

Sure design management is important. Efficiency, costs-saving, evaluations...topics like those,i believe, are quite important in the design process and in the learning process of a design studio. Situations like ' why did it go wrong and how to prevent it in future projects? or what are the successfactors of those projects?' are happening all the time i think. Just experienced this during my internship.

Guest Dot Kite

Hoi Waikit,

As you can understand i also agree that Design Management and Design Direction are very important topics! It is one year now that i study several businesses and their way of doing business. I ve learn a lot of things about how to manage a project from the begining till the delivery of the project! Also by my experience of working (one and a half year now), i realised that Managing a project is almost more important and delicate than the project itself!

What sometimes i don't understand is why the young designers don't pay attention to that kind of topics ! Actually, most of times, when you go to give an interview, the owner of the Studio or Agency, asks about Management knowledge.

Anyway, I hope we will all try to develope this topic little bit more, so we can share our knowledges and experiences !

My best wishes for a nice evening to all PDF members . . .

Well maybe it is interesting if you create a topic about how designers can cope with design managment during their projects, what they need to pay attention to when they work on their design project.

Guest Dot Kite

Dear Renzsu,

I was already thinking to create a report from several articles, books and pubblications about design management, adding my personal point of you. Give me some time and I ll do it in a .pdf format so everyone will be able to download it. But for doing this, it should be nice if people apply several questions. . .

So, everyone who is interested to, can post questions, or send me a Personal Message.

I will do my best for providing informations of how designers can deal with the management of a project !

Good night to all PDF members . . .

Guest 0101

I want as a manager in the system of product design,It imust be interesting! in this system,we can have somemore ideal how to improve our work,now,i need some books give me knowlege,or some articles about this area,please introduce some informations to me,thank you!

Guest Aphasia

I said to my Tutor about doing a design management Masters, and he sort of said, pah! who needs design management, and i guess by the time you get to that level you could have learnt it on the job.

I personally think some people are made for management and others aren't.

But if it's what you want, or like then go for it! My tutor suggested something a little more focused as a masters and it got me thinking, but i think i'll still think about management.

Guest Koen

Dear collegues at PDF,

It is difficult to understand how someone in a responsible position in design education could underestimate Design managment. The way a project is managed has a substantial influence on the outcome of the project and on the costs of the project. This last aspect has often been neglected because the most common way of thinking was that whatever the cost, the company would earn it back within reasonable time. In reality the costs of developing a product has become an important part of the factors on which competition is based. As designers we have a substantial responsibility in design costs, not only because of our clients but toward each other. The more affordable we can make it, the more companies will use our services. I am not pleading for price cutting, I am pointing out that an efficently ran project will be far less expensive than one where time, materials, prototyping etc. have not been planned strategically.

Over and above those considerations, good design management is important to reach the best possible result. Most designers are educated without the interaction with production, sales, marketing etc. and most methods require a full briefing from the start. In reality it never happens that way. Early riefings are sketchy to say the least, and information changes during the design process. New technologies might even pop up. If this is not foreseen in the process and managed properly, the designer(s) will never reach the full potential of the product . I hope we will see more reactions, it's an interesting topic.

Guest riaz

I am very interested in getting a masters in design management. But then I don't know if I should just get a regular MBA after graduation industrial design... Actually Right NOW all I can think about is I need get either in intership or a job... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh!!!! Internship.... JOB....!!!! okay okay deep breaths... Right like I was saying... It's always at the back of my mind to either do an MBA or take Design Management.

:D

by the way... http://www.dmi.org/dmi/html/

The Design Management Conference is October 24 in Massachusetts

Guest cprodesign

my adviser like to study the design management very much. but i do not think this is a very important issue. i prefer to pursue a MBA instead of a degree of "design management"

Guest El Ente

Design management it's important but not critical. An industrial designer has so many fields to explore that it is hard to adquire further knowledge on each of them...

We are a little engineers (we have to know physics, mechanism, structures etc), a little architects (we have to project an object with deep tridimensional knowledge, geometry, aesthetics etc), a little artists (we need to draw and sketch, we want to answer the consumer needs with our products and make it our way, we like to experiment and make people experience...), a little artisans (we work with matherial, sometimes experimenting with our hands), a little managers (we have to know what process is more efficient, if that matherial would give our product a better value...), we also have to have knowledge of computer-oriented design programs, computer interface....

It's up to any of us to define which field of Industrial Design we want to explore, depending on what field make us feel more confortable

In my opinion a designer has to have an overall idea of production costs, matherials, etc... but that's it, no deep knowledge is required. I think it's an extra value for your curriculum vitae but not critical as I said.

Guest bart_schilder

I don`t think that a design manager should be someone who has the drive or interest to design himself. A design manager has to be a universal manager with an interest in design, so that he can make decisions based on non-emotional basis.

It`s very dangerous to have a product-design-nut making the final decisions! You see it in al lot of products, they are not really for users, but more to please other designers. Do we want that??

An art-director on the other hand advises the design manager and is a position a good designer can handle, when he is experienced and has been succesfull as designer.

Guest nonex.nl

I think it depends in a large amount who you're working for: when I am designing an interior for clients (f.e. retail environments) the client often has no or little experience in it's role as commisioner.

It is my job to feed them with information to make decision on and to strcuture the process so their shop can open on time (which is ofcourse most important for them).

So in the field of interior and furnituredesign as part of interior design, the project management is completely up to me and the satisfaction of the client in the end depends just as much on my organisation skills as on design qualities. This is to such an extend, in the acquisition-interviews I do with potential clients, 50% is about the design qualities, the other 50 % is about the organisational skills we have.

Big difference is in interior design the environment has te be build as part of the whole process, instead of the field of industrial design, where the job is almost finished when production starts.

I can imagine, if you're designing industrial products for a large firm you would have a design manager/art director/account manager (whatever they're called), just as bart said.