Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest prof

This Guy Won £1000 For Homer Simpson's Idea!

Guest prof

Don't know about you guys but this looks a little suspect! This guy won the DKNY furniture award at the New Designers show in London, he scooped up £1000 and a work placement. To me it looks like a blatant copy of Homer's invention!

I hope he did not copy it because if he did he must be stupid because who rips off something that is watched by millions of people all round the world!

Obviously the judges don’t watch the Simpsons!

What do you guys think, blatant rip off or a case of great minds think alike?

Here is the link: Click here

Yeah, the chair basic does the same function with similar design. Not really a creative idea since everybody already knew of it. :eh:

But I will sure to buy it because it's from the Simsons and it's funny.

Also that chair reminds me of the old rocking chair, what ever happen to it? I could sure use some in my backyard.

Guest Marra

The thinking behind the chair goes a bit beyond just tipping a chair back.

Its called Sub-V-Chair.

Think about it.

Guest evolve

wasn't there something like this out there already?

i know i've seen similar design somewhere. It might not look like the same but the funcation of you rocking it back and be able to hold that position is out there.

Think of it this way, when you were a kid, didn't your mom tell you not to sit like that during at the dinner table?

Guest Aphasia

I was thinking exactly the same thing when i saw that at New Designers. Pisses me off. But what can you do about it?

Lets see what else we can rip off the simpsons...

Anyway, I think the original idea came from Thomas Edison's house didn't it?

Guest Marra

Quite amusing all this really as the guy doesnt even watch TV. If any of you had spoke to him at New Designers you might have noticed another design he created which was about turning the TV off and doing other more meaningful things.

I do agree that the idea was out there but dont think its ever been executed in such a fashion and with a subversive approach behind the solution.

He was simply observing day-to-day rituals such as hanging clothes on a chair, leaning back on a chair etc and developing the idea.

How many of you who have criticised can claim to have truly original ideas?

Guest evolve

i have to agree about everything we design as a whole would be under judgement.

No matter what, the design is great. Props to him for making it happen or redesigning it.

BUT... *opening doors* As designer, he might missed something so what do we do... redesign it again. So for those who are pissed or turn their head away... This might be a good project for a new redesign.

Yup- so many people on the Earth, so many common problems. There is bound to common solutions when creative people try to improve life.

@evolve: that's right - I am sure that the writers of the Simpsons did not really think it through. There are probably 20 different ways to improve it.

Guest belandesign

well,this kind of thing may happen every,the judge can't see all design in the world ,all we can do just :Do our

own design, the mind of ourselves, and when you win ,you will fell happy come from heart.

Guest 'This guy'

Hello one and all.

I’m ‘This guy…’ and it is my subVchair you’ve all been discussing. I’ve been following it a while now and have enjoyed it. It feels strangely good to have designed something that at the very least sparks a discussion, no matter how short sighted it may be.

Believe it or not, this was one of my aims when I started the project, though I expected reactions to be a little more intelligent and less focussed on the simpsons. I often find my work straddling art and design since I like carrying a narrative that most (oh! how did someone put it…oh yeah) ‘elegant/minimalist’ design lacks.

It was good to finally see the Homer Simpson picture though…..an uncanny resemblance, and one that justifies a bit of finger wagging on all your parts. But, as one chap pointed out, I’m not TV’s biggest fan (don’t get me started on that) and hadn’t any knowledge about the idea before I came up with it. (I was almost shaking with excitement and stayed up most the night when it came to me)

The whole thing came about because of a lot of frustration: Frustration at how fickle and short lived design can be ‘in’ in stylistic terms…..suckling off unrelenting fashion whose only consideration is a treadmill of profit; Frustration at how many new chairs are held up each year and hailed as masterpieces when their only function (simply seating someone) was adequately achieved long ago; Frustration that no-one had catered for many peoples subversive uses of a chair; frustration that my girlfriend kept hanging her clothes on the back of my friggin chair making it impossible to sit on.

Everyone has seen new designs constructed from old discarded items. I like them, but generally they only perform an old function a different way. I wanted to use chairs that were extinct despite being perfectly sound functionally, and improve something. For anyone who did sit on it, or who have a problem with hanging clothes on the back of chairs, or who like nothing more than leaning back appreciated it. The design was a very personal one when I did it at uni but once others sat on it I realised many, many people could relate to it an enjoy it. It was just a concept, a statement and a lot of fun to make….but it just ended up going further. How many designs at New Designers made people laugh, scream, scared, test their bravery, satisfy and age old want or make people run to get their friends to try it? How many designs were so concerned with how they looked that they didn’t manage to engage or interact with anyone beyond the standard “oh, that’s nice…….†as they walked on past?

I certainly didn’t set out to win a prize. In fact, I was very sceptical (and still am really) about prize giving in general. The fact that I won a prize from a massive fashion brand for something that had started out as a bit of an anti-fashion statement baffled me and I seriously considered not accepting it. I’m glad I did though, as I would have missed out. The 3 month internship in New York wasn’t for the subVchair though. I was asked, like 30 odd others from New Designers, to submit a thorough press release to the New York office. It was the supposed ‘breadth’ and ‘creativity’ of my portfolio that opened that door, as opposed to the ‘shitty hack job’ that a cartoon character invented.