Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest antoniomancillas

"same Project" 2 Diferent Designers

Guest antoniomancillas

Hello,

This is Antonio Mancillas from Mexico and I have received a comment on my topic <span style='color:blue'>"curved plywood"</span> telling me that my project its pretty much like other from a designer in the UK. So, I decided to show the process I followed from the beginning to the end of the project and of course what I’ve seen from the other project. I would really appreciate you comments about both projects

I think both projects are very similar from the formal point of view, but the conceptual basis of each one is completely different.

Thank you all,

Antonio M

<span style='color:blue'>www.antoniomancillas.com</span>

Guest antoniomancillas

1.- Le Fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain…. This is how it starts: we had to see this movie at class and analyze the different personalities of the characters on it…. After that, we had to choose a character, make a bigger analysis of it and start creating a concept of a product and relate it to this character.

Concept basis

Our concept starts from the daily life and activities we take part of. “In our days it is hard to jump from our cycles and escape from monotonyâ€Â.

Quotidian escape’s purpose is to interrupt us from our cycles without taking us out completely from our common activities. Just create a sporadic jump from our ordinary activities.

Antonio M

www.antoniomancillas.com

Guest rodanx86

This actually happens all the time. While I was working at as an intern, the IDEA awards came out and one particular concept got a silver award. The VP of my company went and dug through his old files and found his version of the exact same concept done years prior (virtually identical if you ask me). He was upset because the client, at the time, did not decide to take it to market. But what can you do?

Not only that, but I have been searching through recent catalogs and found concepts that I had come up with a long time ago. (I am certain I had the idea first) But, unfortunately, I do not have the right contacts in the industry or enough clout to make my designs a reality. But its no big deal to me, because I know that I will keep comming up with brilliant ideas.

It seems to me that there is the "cloud" of good ideas that floats over our heads. Lots of designers happen to tap into the same ideas from this "cloud" even though they do not have contact with one another. To be honest, I have seen that concept before from my school here in the states. That doesn't mean that it's origninal, it just means that several others also thought that it was a really good idea.

Perhaps this would be a good time to discuss how design patents work?