- - - - -

What Destroys Your Creativity?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Aphasia_*

Guest_Aphasia_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 01:04 PM

I used to work for a gaming website and pretty much every week we got a brand new game in before the public, maybe sometimes we'd get about 3 or 4.

Anyway, during the time i was looking for a job after graduation i would get very bored and start to play more games than i should. I found that my creativity was going downhill just constantly pushing buttons and trying to beat the game. So instead i quit that, and i havent used my Xbox for months. Since then my creativity has been flowing again and now i have a job I am pretty much thinking creativly the whole day (and night).

So what do you think stunts your creativity?

For me it's computer games and other people's negativity, ignorance and stupidity.

#2 skinny

skinny

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:04 PM

Overly controlling people stop me dead in my trax. Makes me not want to do anything at all. And people that are always trying to tell you what to do and how to do it. Also when it's too busy/loud, can't focus on one thing with all kinds of mess going on.
One more thing, looking at too much "inspiration" as people would put it. Only gives you all kinds of stuff to subconciously copy.

#3 Guest_Aphasia_*

Guest_Aphasia_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 04:16 PM

yeah true about the inspiration thing. I'm one of those kinds of designers who design for function, so generally i design things and then look to see if anyone else has done it.

:)

#4 Guest_Easy Company_*

Guest_Easy Company_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:37 PM

Sleepy little towns do.

#5 Guest_Brunow_*

Guest_Brunow_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:35 AM

Rain.

When the sun is around i just have better and happy designs.

#6 Guest_CheckMate_*

Guest_CheckMate_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:02 AM

ganja and other drugs people who say drugs make them more creative talk such a load of bull!

a destructive lifestyle, even if you do create something technically advanced that is asthetic and erganomic and performs its function perfectly it could still be a product of destruction and argueably not creative at all like guns which kill people and beatifull smoking pipes which help give people cancer!

bad organisation

disruptive working environments i always need to put as much concentration in as posible its far too easy to get pissed off or distracted by something and do nothing!!

#7 Guest_Marra_*

Guest_Marra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:52 AM

An untidy environment, TV, films, internet.

Going out there and experiencing whats out there gets my creativity flowing again, usually I go into the middle of nowhere for a weekend and this gets me back on track.

#8 Guest_ScottieB_*

Guest_ScottieB_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 01:21 PM

My own pride and only focusing on one solution sometimes stuns my creativity. A good sleep, music, basketball, design magazines gets me back :D

#9 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • At:Concept Center International

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:44 PM

Flipping through My Pictures gallery too much and looking at "inspiration products".
Loss of focus b/c of poor game-plan

#10 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • At:Springtime Industrial Design

Posted 05 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

Crunch time usually stunts all creativity in me for a bit.. after a mild panic and some coffee i'm usually alright :D

Hm.. silence is a real killer for me at times.

#11 Guest_evolve_*

Guest_evolve_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2005 - 09:17 PM

lack of sleep can kill your mood.

and i agree with the copy method. Looking at too many creative product or object can over kill your own concept and ideas.

#12 Guest_Aphasia_*

Guest_Aphasia_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2005 - 01:52 PM

I agree with looking at products for inspiration can actually stunt it, but sometimes when i delve into a magazine and read about a product (new or old) and when there's a good description which explains it, sometimes i can't help but think about improvements for the product. So i guess looking at bad design can be inspirational, but looking at good can be self-destructive?

#13 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 03:48 AM

I actually love the rain. Unlike most people, for some reason, I feel happy when its raining. The noise helps me relax and think better. Weird, huh...

I lose steam when I get done exploring an idea that I thought had a lot of merit, but in the end it really didn't. I hate that feeling when you realize that your best idea really won't work out at all and all the time you spent trying to salvage it doesn't matter either. Thats a real bummer sometimes.

#14 Guest_Autophobius_*

Guest_Autophobius_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

hmmm a bust for my creativity is people putting me down, or people reminding me that it's the effort and the motivation you need ....

this puts my creativity to a bust and now afficial hate the words effort and motivation arhhhhh cringe!!!

never mention again...

hey maybe someone should do a new post of what encourages your creativity?

why the negative stuff? :D

#15 Guest_donnee_*

Guest_donnee_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 01:59 AM

A blank white page. Knowing that i HAVE to fill it and not knowing where to begin. Staring at the page doesnt get me anywhere but walking around and looking at stuff, anything, gets me out of the funk.

Conventions. Sometimes they are good, mostly just annoying and restricting.

What gets me going however. . .

A really stunning piece of design, coffee, texting people, surfing the web, driving round town and looking at whats out there. Tried and true method i have is attending boring lectures and sitting there designing instead. Brain is so flippn bored it starts popping out ideas all ovr the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: