Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest Highlight

Hi,

V glad i found your tutorial, inspiring...nice simple instructions too.

planning to buy a wacom or graphire of something within budget for freelance stuff, maybe add to the shaver collection too!

I am totally new to wacoms/ tablet concept but want to get into it, have been using pencil and paper then onto surface and solid in computer, etc.

Couple of questions (for all bodies in the know too really); I know its largely down to personal style and budget but could you say what is the smallest size Wacom/etc I should sets my sights on whilst still being ok for product design and automotive concepts stuff? 9x12 looks perfectly proportioned but pricey to me but then I have little experience.

two - Would like your take on product design illustration/sketch style. Does it have to have this kind of product designy look (line, airbrush, shade, highlights, squiggly line as backdrop, etc) or is the look simply a product of trying to draw something clear and punchy?

Do you know anyone famous out there known for having a totally different sketch, rendering presentation style? Could you point to them for reference?

Guest Emil

Hi ScottieB.

I would like to ask what is the name of the software (full name) you use in the "shaver sketch"...end can you recomend softwares, look like that...for 2D sketch!

Its wery cool your sketching style!!!

Emil

Guest Jay08

Hi emil,

Software is Alias Studio Tools V12.0.

Look at the screen shots and theres your clue!

Id take a look at Alias sketch book pro and Photoshop CS2-3 as good results can be achieved with either... Although I prefer CS2!

Hope that helps...

Guest simpson

Hi, dunno if this was mentioned somewhere in the earlier posts, but you can customize some of the hotkeys like pan zoom and other stuff.

Someone was looking for Rotate canvas. It's "V" by default if i'm not wrong...

Anyone know the zoom in and out keys? can't find them in the hotkeys menu :/

Guest firecracker
I wish I had money to buy a tablet and a sketch program..... mumble mumble grumble...

If you are an official student with a university/college email address, then auto desk will provide you with a completley free and full version of ALIAS STUDIO or other auto desk applications. :)

Guest cozo~

i gave aliasStudio 2008 a try today... i found it really really powerfull, but horribly over complicated and buggish... i really dunno where´s autodesk interface design team... its a pity.

anyways i gave this tutorial my own aproach trough illustrator+photoshop. i am really pleased with the results, specially because it´s the first time i render like this. basically i used the original model, then drew it, traced, and shaded/painted.

hope you like it, and please comment bout it.

post-15140-1204178114.jpg

second time around...more shading and added speculars

post-15140-1204250796.jpg

third time around... added sensitive lines to make it less cartoonish

post-15140-1204311648.jpg

Guest erfan

thanke scottie, hope u be sucsess in your life, im an amatour and will be thanke you to learn more

Guest ScottieB

cozo~

Sketches look good! I agree sometimes the software can get clunky. You can do the same thing in other programs.

Some comments I have for your sketch - Some of the lines are not in correct perspective. Which will come down to practice and drawing construction lines. The colours need a bit of contrast shade in them. I see you have tried changing the levels to get this. In the yellow section of colour the shading is too flat. Try using multiply or dodge tool to increase the '3D' look.

cheers

S

Guest Designer kim
to rotate canvas may have another way. you can try in "F8-'tive view"

then click in viewing panel click in top then unpick perspective. then u can use palette>view>twist to turn ur view... maybe this also can help.. so sorry for my english..

I like your Design Style...!

Very good sketches!

Guest iMagxz

Hey guys i know this has been up for a while but I got a used wacom today and wanted to try some design sketching :D

Same steps as tutorial but I'm trying to avoid rendering while im a newbie

post-23462-1227319222.jpg

Guest Linda_mi

Great tutorial, Alex. I really needed this because I have been really wanting to try it.

I have a question: If you end up with a shard that is a little big, do you think it would look ok if I cut it with some round blade cutters to make it into smaller pieces? Have you ever done this or do you just smash it with the other mandrel?