Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest CheckMate

hi, cheers for this tutorial,

i just downloaded a copy of alias, and was just starting to look at the tutorial, when trying to sketch the line sometimes does not follow the cursur straight away and is sluggish, i changed the brush curve snap tolerance up to the maximum and this helped a lot but after drawing a line i still have to wait for the cursur to catch up.

i was just wondering is this the same for everyone? and what might be the cause and can it be rectified?

thanks,

Guest ScottieB

I have never had that problem, Maybe try turning paint line quality down cos your computer might be to slow?

Good luck

Guest Tomaz

started on your little tutorial today.. really enjoying it and learning alot.

its my 1st ever sketch on my new wacom graphire 4.

little stuck now. i see u have loads more sketchlines and details.

how do u think i can upgrade mine? (not yet giving it background..)

see it here (problems uploading..)

note: what do u think of my attempt to give the head a rubber-look?

and why doesnt the graphirepen fit easely in the slot on the pad?

Guest ScottieB

Hi Tomaz - Yeah that's a great start! Nice lines and proportions. The colours still look a bit flat. I think adding more contrast will help. It's hard to tell it's rubber. Maybe add more black behind those colours where there is shadow. cheers

Guest cooperkid

Haven't got a tablet yet... debating on weather to get one... how much easier is it to use?

thought i'd have a crack at the razor in PS using paths tools, fill effects, dodge and burn all by use of a mouse..

see what you think... some unfinished business... about 40 mins worth of work here..

post-5030-1157386987.jpg

Guest ScottieB

Yeah cool ! nice one,

I personally think a tablet is really useful. It's fast and still looks loose and exciting.

Using paths takes a long time to set up and produces a tight render (especially when in illustrator). For those type of images I think you might as well do a quick, realistic 3D model (with photoshop) because then you can have any view you want. So basically I go loose sketches to 3D models and don't have a 'illustrator or photoshop path image.

That's why I'd encourage you to buy one!! It takes lots of practice though:)

All the best

Guest mosi

Thank you very much for the TUT, excellent. This is my second serious attempt in Alias, the shaver is not publishable, it`s pretty difficult to draw straight lines/curves even with tablet (unless you have tablet PC)

Another supershaver, excuse the beginner`s 2D view only:

post-7099-1159129749.jpg

PS: any more useful keyboard shortcuts? (I noticed Ctrl pressed while drawing will put a straight line towards some centerpoint or Alt + drawing draws on a grid, although I can`t find the settings for the grid size or point location).

Guest ScottieB

Thanks, ctrl and alt are the 2 keys to snap with. There is a grid setup (look in help) nd use alt to snap or holding ctrl with different mouse/pens buttons draws on different axises. cheers

Guest zoom

where can i download Personnal learning edition of studiotools 12.0

And is this software freeware ?

Guest ScottieB

Not sure anymore... search the alias website. It should be there somewhere.

It's fully functional but you can't use it for commercial purposes .

Guest Abiel Muren

:) yeah! it is a nice tutorial, thanks so much Scottie, personally, I like the orange, it's going to be very useful.

Best wishes :thumbsup:

Guest quizzicallj

Superb tutorial here..I know a couple people may have brought this up previously, but I would like to confirm a couple things for myself.

I understand you did this entire tutorial without using any path tools or snapping brush to path techniques, with the exception of the ellipses, is that correct? If so, excellent job with the lines.

I just got a Wacom a couple of weeks ago, and am still playing with it. Typically, I have been using photoshop for my linework, and it's very difficult to get the sweeping curves accurately unless I move my pen really quickly across the tablet. If I move it a little too slowly, the line looks slightly "bumpy". The problem is in order to accurately draw the curves I want, I usually draw the line at a slower rate, but end up getting the bumpy look, whereas if I draw the curve quickly it's nice and smooth, but doesn't really follow the path I want it to (which will take more practice, I suppose).

This makes me wonder - do you draw your lines quickly or more slowly? They certainly have a quick, dynamic look, but I know that may have more to do with the brush setting than the speed at which you drew. In order to get the varying line thickness, did you vary the pressure or was that entirely due to that setting?

Right now, using photoshop, I can't get a "controlled looseness" that I like in your drawing. It's either a tad too messy (although I am picky) or I end up using paths (with a boring non-varying line or unpredictable slanted brush type) which I feel tend to tighten up a drawing too much for my liking, at certain stages of the design process.

I feel the one major advantage that Studiotools has over photoshop in sketching is the ability to rotate the canvas. If you didn't use paths, than that certainly would help to creat free-flowing curves, right? Are there anymore advantages to studio tools over photoshop for your style sketching? I don't have studio tools at the moment, but I certainly will look into getting its feature help draw more accurate, dynamic curves.

Thanks in advance for reading so much text...

Guest ScottieB

Thanks mate for your comments. I have found that in photoshop it is difficult to draw lines without that bumpy look. Studiotools has great line strokes so that's why me lines look fast. But photoshop is less clunky and you can add so many more effects and controls. So sometimes I was photoshop over studiotools because it's easier to setup even though the lines aren't as good and you can't rotate.

cheers