Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest pleber

Hi, I'm a beginner here, (first post actually :) and I've been looking at some of the work here, (very impressive btw), but I don't have a wacom tablet, or any type of tablet for that matter and was wondering if there is any way I can create images like these?

Im currently in my final year of a Technology and Design degree and I would like to be able to render some scanned sketches like the drawings here.. for these images do you use the tablet throughout or just at the beginning when creating the basic form of the shaver?

Basically I'd like to know what is possible without the use of a tablet. Are there any mouse baised tutorials?

Thanks for the help

arron

Guest ScottieB

I used the tablet from start to end. You will find it very hard to do the sketchy looking line work without a tablet. You can used the mouse to draw lines with alias by laying down curves and tracing them. It will look like illustrator lines tho. Then you could use mouse to do air brushes because it doesn't need accuracy.

Good luck

Guest Fito

thanks scottie for this great tutorial, look how I´m using studiotools personal learning edition, with my spaceball 4500FLX (to dinamically rotate de canvas, zoom and pan) and my wacom A6 to draw.

The secret is to create a template, with a canvas plane in top view. All the work is made in perspective view so you have to block all Z Axis rotations in the spaceball. In this way you can make zoom, pan and canvas rotation dinamically with the ball... terrific!! and studiotools moves the draw in real time!! (AMD1700+ 1024Mb, graphics 256Mb...)

With this combination and the spaceballs buttons configured with most used options the work is really fast, I think this is the best software for industrial design sketching.

Hope it´s usefull, thanks for your tutorials, sorry about my english.... !!

Guest dr3amz

hey scottieB,

big up for this nice tutorial. i just found this forum as i was searching google for a studiotools-tutorial

to try out my new tablet. this was a great help.

can you help me with creating my own toolbar in alias? i did a new shelf set, but how can i apply brushes

and pencils to this?

thnx,

drmz.

Guest www.concepttree.co.uk

Very usefull, cheers for making this tutorial.

i am trying to assess the imortance of the wacom tablet. how would the same sketch look, if you had used a cheaper alternative tablet?

Chris

Guest ScottieB

Drmz- Thanks ! You can drag and drop any icons from the palette with middle mouse click into a custom shelf.

Chris- Thanks mate, You can get exactly the same result in the end. It's just easier with a quality tablet and nicer to use over time.

Guest designfabulous

I am trying out painter. Can you tell me how you draw the lines so perfectly? I use a tablet but they are still not as perfect as yours...

Guest ScottieB

maybe have the canvas rotated to the right angle and then do long confident stokes while not worrying if the line goes to far. But mostly just practice :(

Guest nem

Hi ppl and thank you Scott.

Here's my attempt on the shaver.

Software: Painter classic

Hardware: 5"x3.75" Dynalink Freedraw

Tablet experience: very little

Painter experience: none

Time used: all freaking day

As you can see, i had a hard time doing this drawing. I'm not sure to blame the tablet, the program, or my tiny bit of experience. I also kinda rushed through it a bit.

a7oq.jpg

By the time it was done i couldn't stand the painter user interface anymore. Stubbern as i am, i gave it another try in photoshop 7 (what a relief) I followed the tut very carefully, and this time i was pretty positive about the result.

b0xg.jpg

A true perfectionist is of course never satisfied. I think my biggest problem is getting the lines right. (got the same trouble on paper) The ellipses are horrible and getting a highlight-line exactly right takes me about 50 [ctrl-z]'s. Also, photoshop does a very bad job making the lines smooth. I think the tablet is quite allright though.

So: my advise to myself would be: Get a software upgrade, and practice like hell.

critz pls!

Guest ScottieB

HEy nem! awesome work! really shows that you improved. The second one looks great. You have got the depth of shadow nicely. Yeah just the curves are the main thing letting it down. With the highlights i'm finding more and more that I don't have to exactly follow the right path as long as it looks exciting. Sometimes I put 2 highlight lines on same edge. Good work, keep it up!

Guest Simon_MrMac

Agree with everyone else - that tutorial is great.

BUT, (and I think I have read every comment, and tried every pencil/pen available before posting) I cannot get a sketched line to fade out and appear smooth - as everyone else seems to.

I understand that it takes practise to get smooth and confident, but is there not a tolerence setting to help aid smoothness of line (like illustrator). And there is no way for me to get a line to fade, depite using a wacom tablet/wand the line is either on or off - no fade.

PLEASE help - cannot progress until I sort this. Thanks guys in advance

Guest Simon_MrMac

Please excuse previous message- think sorted stroke problem. Re-installed Wacom software - all good!

Guest ScottieB

Hey Simon_MrMac glad you fixed it! I have that problem too sometimes. It's seems to happen when you have other windows opened like web brower. It'll suddenly not do line weight according to your pressure. Sometimes I just click out of photoshop on to another window and then back in. Sometimes I go into wacom tablet options and play in the pressure sensitivity option. And then I reset if that doesn't work.

Good luck!

Guest Splash

First off all, thanks for the great tutorial! It teaches some techniques that I guess are well known, but not often explained, such as using large airbrushes and placing the little white highlight-lines on edges.

I first tried it using photoshop, but the result (wich can be seen on left below) didn't turn out so great. Therefore I thought I'd try Alias, but the interface is just horrible imo.

So I tried again, but this time with a combination of illustator and photoshop. Sice illustrator has these line smoothing options, you don't have to be so good at drawing straight lines. (which is a great advantage for me). See here for a great tutorial on inking in illustrator.

This time it turned out a lot better, however it is still a LONG shot from the quality of your work:

scheerapparaten.png