Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest NouHenDa

Thank you very much for this tutorial!!!

I've just started the digital sketching and it's one of the first!

let me know what you think?

post-4382-1139571043.jpg

Guest NouHenDa

Oh and I have a problem in Alias...

I can't get a white backgroud...Maybe it's because I haven't "Workflows" in the "Preferences" menu...

Guest ScottieB

hi NouHenDa! Nice work. It's really cool that you've had a bold first go. I would only suggest fixing some of the perspective of the elipses and adding sparkle highlights. The white background is done by first changing workflows to paint and also creating a new canvas. In studiotools 13 you get this new window that is seperate from the other modelling views. cheers

Guest RobMay

To ScottieB

Excellent work, hoping to have a crack at your tutorial as soon as i can afford a tablet. I've used studio tools since i was at uni but we were never told anything about its advantages for sketch rendering!

I am also considering downloading the personal learning edition of StudioTools, do you know whether or not PLE files can be opened in the full licensed version?

Thanks

He ScottieB,

Great tutorial for a beginner like me, to explore the different options and possibility's in drawing with a tablet.

Recently I got a Digitizer 2 tablet form a friend, (a lot of thanks goes to wuzl who let me take over his old tablet !).

I did not use Alias, but Painter and I had some difficulties finding the different options and tools.

The standard Digital Airbrush looks really ugly when you make it as large as you did in your tutorial.

In the end I found an other Digital Airbrush on the net that looks a lot better.

Again ScottieB thank you for your tutorial it really helped me !

post-4649-1140370529.jpg

Guest Pragonetti

How does Alias Studiotools compare with sketchbook pro. I do not have all those tools. I would love to take a shot at this. Thanx

P~

Guest ScottieB

Sketch book pro is basically the same as the sketching in studiotools. But you don't have the curves to draw perfect circles and the tools to sketch are set out in a "user friendly" interface which I don't really like personally :) but get the same results.

-I can't seem to get that screen rotate key command to work. Maybe because I tried on 13. I can only use the little rotate icon which sucks because you can only really go in one direction, the other direction you run out of space so you have to do it a little bit at a time.

-I like the little popup rotate thing in sketchbook. Any way to bring that up with a key command and then get back to your sketching tool with a command?

-The way painter does the rotate thing on the fly with a key combo is perfect, all of these sketching programs should have similar. Especially photoshop.

Guest ScottieB

Yeah I agree! rotating in photoshop would be great. I'm not sure about the rotating command in 13. I'll have a look at it. I have described a way to rotate manually in the tut which is pretty quick and easy. This works in both versions 12 and 13. Good Luck skinny

Guest RobMay

Managed to get a (relatively) cheap Intuos tablet off ebay, and it was worth every penny!!

I've attached my attempt at ur tutorial Scottie B. This is the 1st thing ive done with the tablet, took me bout 3 - 4hrs (once i'd gotten used to the interface), and would love some pointers and feedback. I'm pretty happy with it but i think i've overworked some of the colours.

Cheers again Scottie B

post-4195-1141230886.jpg

Guest ScottieB

Yeah thats great for a first go. I agree that the colours and lighting probably need work. Perhaps use broader strokes and thinner high lights.

cheers

Guest Growney

I got frustrated with Alias, but I love the idea of hooking a paint tool to a path. I found that Painter has this same feature in 9.0, so I did the line work in Painter to show the difference.

Some suggestions:

1) It says you can create vector images in Illustrator and bring them into Painter, but I kept getting an error message, so I created the paths in Painter. (If anyone find out how to acquire Illustrator images, please let me know.

2) In the Preferences/Shapes, make sure "Paint Hidden Paths" is unchecked. That way, you create all your paths and then make only the one you are working on visible.

3) Set the tolerence to 20 in Preferences.

4) I used Pencil/Cover Pencil with spaceing at 10%

5) You can increase the size of the brush for the heavy line work, smaller brush for the ends.

6) You can create ellipes as a shape, then rotate them. You can change the opacity and line weight for the inner detail just like the tutorial showed.

My first post. Great site!

post-4879-1142118611.gif