Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest gilty

great tutorial and a nice image - good work!

The "lock brush to curve" feature in StudioTools should be added into Photoshop; such an accurate yet organic brush stroke.

Thanks ScottieB

Guest hammerthehalo

Holy Cow I have been waiting for something like this for a long time

Muchas Gracias

Danke Schein

Domo Arigato

Gratzi

Etc, etc, etc.....

Guest Mikedesign

Great!

Very nice tutorial. I´ve been looking for a studiopaint tutorial for a looong time, thanks alot!

Guest somersault

Hey,

this tutorial is really fantastic!! Thank you very much.

I boroughed a tablet from a friend and tried to do the shaver aswell. That´s what it looks like- it´s my first render in Alias...

I´m working on it ... But I think it´s still a long way to go... :-)

Any comments??

post-3591-1130857242.jpg

Guest ScottieB

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Somersault: Good on you! Looks like you have had a really good go!! thats the way to improve. I like how you have done everything expressive and haven't held back. Overall the lines are a bit messy so mabe do a layer over the top again and try using one line.

Guest thecrazyblueman

I think Alias Sketchbook 2 is better for the workflow than Alias.

In Alias you can just use use shapes to do really clean render with digital paint.

For Painter vs Alias, I think it's not the same idea... I would say that Painter is a mix between Alias and Alias Sketchbook (more parameters + shapes)

Guest ScottieB

I think painter is heaps better for matte painting and that sort of thing in movies and concept art cos you have all the texture brushes etc... but alias is aimed at product design so tools only include markers, pencil, airbrush, and cirlce shaped brush. There's no glow brush or dodge/burn so you have to work differently.

Guest tydra

hi to all...

let me understand.....with Alias sketchbook i cannot draw vecor lines or shapes to fill with a brush.

can i do that with Alias studiotools?

thanks

Guest lufrbasketch

yep, allias sketchbook is basically a program to allow straigh sketching onto the program and render it, you cant create paths or do most of the stuff you can do in photoshop. Imagine it of more of like a program where you are drawing straight onto paper, it all relies on your skills at hand drawing.

Guest Colvindesign

I just downloaded the alias personal learning edition for studio tools 12.

After using a few different cad programs before, I must say I am a little intimidated.

I imported a pencil sketch (jpg) to get the drawing in so I could create the new drawing over it, and delete it as you did. Should I mention I don't have a wacom, and no access to one at this time? Anyway, I tried sketching over, with the mouse it's a very messy proposition, and I am having trouble finding out how to get the more specialized tools, ie the pen style you used.

Kind of difficult getting the hang of how the tools work, for example how to create elipses, and move the points, etc. I just look for point and click type of use.

Anyway, looks like I will be keeping myself active for a while with the supplied tutorials before attempting somethign like this.

I must say this tutorial is exactly what I have been looking for but now I just need to learn to use Alias and be comfortable with it enough to figure out everythign that is going on. I can't wait til I can get my work into a presentation on the level of SomerSault's there, that will bring my work to a whole new level.

Thanks guys.

Guest Peedub

Thanks for the tutorial - it's really halped me get to grips with the tablet (and Painter).

This is my first attempt at a drawing that wasn't just a bunch of scribbles. It took me about 6 hours from start to finish - most of the time was spent getting the lines just right. I didn't finish some of the details (control dial and dimples on the rubber grip) - hopefully my next effort will be much quicker.

post-2549-1137097722.jpg