Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ScottieB

Alias Sketching Tutorial

Guest ScottieB

14)add blue at this point it becomes either very quick or you could spend hours rendering colours. I have quickly rendered here without to much fuss.

post-2872-1125495972.jpg

Guest ScottieB

16) Background and finished!!!!! Hope that helps people working out Alias. Good luck!

post-2872-1125496214.jpg

Can you interactively rotate the canvas? It looked like you did just that in some of the jpegs. That would really help me in learning to sketch in Studiotools better.

Guest rodanx86

I wish I had money to buy a tablet and a sketch program..... mumble mumble grumble...

Guest ScottieB

parel: yeah you can and it helps heaps to draw lines with a tablet. To rotate the canvas you have to use the marking menus to select and rotate. The marking menus are found by holding down 'shift+ctrl' and one of the 3 mouse buttons. Use 'select object' to pick the canvas edge (square around the drawing) and then click 'rotate'. I have the canvas selected like this the whole time i'm rendering (red colour for selected). Then whenever I want to rotate I hold down 'shift+alt' and middle mouse and drag.

Bbarn: I use a 4x5 inch wacom tablet at home which is what I used here and at work we have a 21" wacom tablet screen (makes me shiver every time I use it):)

Nice work ScottieB, I never knew Alias Studiotools can do that. Thats a pretty solid technique, deffinately help alot of people.

Although, it seems that when you work with layers with many overlays is very computer dependance. Do you/your-work-place still work with traditional media?

Guest ScottieB

bowlofnoodle: yeah definitely. At work we still heavily rely on hand marker sketches. For each job we look at what quality of image we want at the end to show the client and what they have payed for:) Usually we use hand sketches for quick work then next stage is hand sketch+photoshop and then 3D CAD. Sketching in Alias is still in the testing period at my work but with experience will add another fast way to achieve impressive / selling images. In my opinion we still need to do thumbnail sketches on paper before using a computer.

Guest boyd_id

to rotate canvas may have another way. you can try in "F8-'tive view"

then click in viewing panel click in top then unpick perspective. then u can use palette>view>twist to turn ur view... maybe this also can help.. so sorry for my english..