Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marra

Lack Of Females In Design?

Guest Blexarady

Coventry TPD 74 boys, 1 girl. The real politik of the thing is it cant hurt to be an attractive woman in a male-dominated field.

Guest Autophobius

3D Multi-Disciplinary Design, Buckinghamshire, lets see hmmmm there was me and 6 other girls, boys - 9,

so iguess the majority is boys...

but strangly enough the only people who are doing anything about being in the industry is girls-4 including meeeeEe ;) and

boys-6

and heheh yehhh i guess being anattractive girl in a male dominated industry cannot hurt hehehe (not that i'm atractive) heheheh:P

but i can tell you people think that you don't know what your doing until you speak your ideas and show them the skills that you have.. so in some ways it's more difficult to get into the industy... hmmmmm

but professionals, i hope they all think differently.. ;)

As far as I can see it's better to have mixed teams than just guys or girls.. You can be as pc as you want, men will always have different ways of looking at things than women, and vice versa. Mixed teams can really take advantage of this.

Guest arwen

hey Marra

there is heaps of females or there in the design world me myself i'm one of them i just like to hide from the world

i have just finished my 3 year studies in industrial design in Australia

and know i'm working for an construction ferm.

so to your question yes there is females in the design world you just gonna have to look for them

we are a rare species hehehe

Guest Autophobius

heehh well sometimes it is and there isn't anything you can do about,

as this world evolves i'm sure that one day there will be a day or an hour or even a minute that noone thinks like that ..

i hope so.. but this just makes people most determinded and passionate about designand getting into the industry.. :D

Guest arwen

yeah i know that should be the case but it is which is totally silly. Ii myself don't feel threatend by the male designers out there i'll give them ago

you just have to understand that the design world in the eyes of a woman is mainly dominated by males and in a way i think that scares them

don't know why it just does

Guest lou-m

this topic has turned into can women be accepted into the industry, where as i belive we already are i dont think its an issue about acceptance, just its a industry that not a huge amount of women have joined yet.

Guest Autophobius

yehh i think there is acceptence in some place ;)

but some other places are a bit difficult toget into ...

but lets keep the post going... lack of females in Desing....

yehhh i agree with youthat there arenot manygoing into this industry .. it's strange the amount of girls who started in my year and who ended and then the amount who are going to persist into the industy..

i think some of them took the easy way and didn't persist ...

it's a shame because some of them were good :)

Guest Gaile

I don't think it is a lack, it is quite plenty, just we are more silent :), in discussions on internet, for example :)

Guest 'This guy'

i went to a LMDI seminar (basically about what a full time job it is to get your work anywhere) and there was a large majority of females there, about 6 per 1 male. I think the majority of people there were designer-makers.....maybe this craft element has something to do with it?

Guest tom_j_owen

fiesty indeed!!!

well on my way out the education thing now but it seems the the new year brings new oppertunities....well for the 1st years anyway!!! theres now a 50/50 split of sexes enrolled on the id coures at my uni.....dam..there was only 2 lasses when i started!!!!

tom

Yeah same here, except my faculty has been pretty much split since the beginning. I'm doing a course now that has more girls than guys even.

I'm not surprised either though, why would girls only be interested in fashion design? Product design is just another way of expressing your creativity...

One could make a point and ask why product design wouldn't be a female dominated field? Is it that perhaps the engineering side of it is the reason that it attracts guys as well? Are there fields of design more suitable for men or women?

Just shooting out some random thoughts.. interesting (but dated?) discussion :D

Guest abhinav

The nature of a typical industrial design job put off the women aspirations aside.. but the role is more of the image of this profession that we've built through the time.. women are very well capable of such career and Volvo YCC is a good example..

I thought this site is worth putting on this thread.. just hav a luk..

Association of Women Industrial Designers

Guest P3NGU1N

i personally dont think there is a lack of females in the design industry, on the otherhand, if there was a lack of women in ID i think that's gonna change real soon =P. after 4 industrial design classes i've noticed a continual increase in female enrollment. =D

Also noticed that a lot of the girls pay more attention to details than guys. just a thought =P i'm actually pretty sloppy myself