Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jb99

Id Portfolio

Good stuff- Yu could post some finished models. You have a good graphic sense. THe designs look to be simple and clean.

Typo: Ist page the word is "Solution" not Soultion

Guest gethinrob

Hi jb99...

I have recently graduated aswell... How are you finding it ?

Have you managed to get a design job...

Gethin.

Guest jb99

thanks for your comments parel.

gethinrob, I'm not finding it too good! you? I havent managed to get a job yet. Just applied for one in China but if I don't get that I'll probably have to move down South as there doesnt seem to be much in the way of Junior positions in Yorkshire. Go to America next week where i will be staying with two designers who live and work there, would love to get a job there but doubt it

Guest gethinrob

Glad to hear its not just slow for me...

I have applied for a few jobs, but have had no luck so far !

I am at a bit of a cross roads and am not sure what to do next ?

Do I spend the next 12 months working in Tesco and building up my portfolio in my spare time.... Or do I go back to Uni and study an MSc ?

Which would be more beneficial to my career in the long term - who knows ?

What resources have you been using for your job search ??? I buy Design Week for the jobs and I am signed up to every graduate website going ???

Would be nice to hear what you have been doing since graduation......

Gethin.

Work on your portfolio as if you were currently working in a job. Wake up early, put in 8 hr days. Do lots of sketching primarily so that you can do them fast, accurate, and tell pictures/instructions with them. There is all kinds of info you can find on the web for learning plastics processes, new 3-d program, etc. Give yourself 1 week max per project including research, etc. You'll probably find that you could have a completely new portfolio in 2 months that would be much better than your portfolio from school.

Just make sure you stay productive in this time. This type of time to improve skills you're lacking in will be very hard to find once you're working full time.

Check out design firms websites, look for examples of concept sketches to see what level you should be at. Look at corefolios but more importantly the resumes. You want to check out portfolios of people working at the types of places you would like to so that you can compare your stuff to theirs and get a good idea on what your skill level should be.

Good luck with everything, it's always tough starting out. It's going to be a challenge but you just have to plan your journey and tactics the same way you would a design project. Take care.

Guest Aphasia

No matter how good your portfolio is, you need to get noticed when you apply for a job. I think a lot of designers generally don't put enough effort and thought into the communication within their cover letter and CV. This is what people will see before they even think about seeing your portfolio, this is what attracts attention.

I think the job market for ID'ers at the moment is slow but you have what seems like some good ideas :). get yourself a copy of Computer Arts Projects this month, it's all about graduates and getting a job, it's aimed at Graphics but it's worth a look and still translatable into Industrial / 3D and Product Design.

:)

As for the masters / work / portfolio dilemna, it's up to your personal circumstances. The masters might enhance your career but only if you have the energy, maturity and the money to do it. They aren't cheap. Working on your portfolio on the other hand will leave you broke and lacking in confidence. The tesco's deal might sound crap but at least you're working and keeping your head above water. :)

Guest Autophobius
hi, I'm new here so I'm not sure if I should put this in here or in the 'work in progress' section. Anyway, what do you think so far bearing in mind its not quite finished?

Cheers

Joe

http://www.coroflot.com/joe90

heLOOoo

hey and welcome and yehh portfolios seem to be in here it looks :)

on your folio

i do like it all so far the major project done in vector works..the exploded view can a ask if it was a camera?

but other then that, i really liked your folio so far it shows skills that you have which is

sketching

marker pen

vector works

3d max - hmm asumming on that on but it looked to be max :P

and layout..

this is all very good in showing all skills...

but also with a good folio comes descriptions of work..

although you know what each project inside and out.. sometimes to the outsider they may not know...

maybe there could be more description on each piece ..

wat the project is ...

and what the product is for..

maybe what you based it on..

hmmm maybe like

project name bla bla blaaa

description: design for need .. in need of this that and other

made fom so and so

hmmm this is just an example

but i hope this helps..

really good folio so far though with the designs and skills it shows you have...

i'll look out for the up date :P

Guest jb99

Hi guys, I've changed my portfolio a little. Any more opinions? I have been in touch with every company I can find in Yorkshire, Lancishire and the surrounding areas but still no look, not even with work experience. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

www.coroflot.com/joe90