Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest imorgan

Best Marker Pens?

Guest imorgan

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum.

My name is Ian and I'm a product design student from england.

I'm really interested in getting some marker pens for rendering. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good make and which colours I should purchase.

Thanks

See you around.

Ian

Guest jasonjupiter

copics for sure. even thought they may be a little more expensive than other markers keep in mind that they are refillable and each refill can refill 5 completely dry markers.

smell better, good blending, and the square design keeps them from rolling around all over the place =D

Most important is to get a set of grays and a black first. I have both Letraset Tria markers as well as Copics and it doesn't really matter which you chose. Copic markers I feel give your sketch more of a texture while the Letraset Tria markers cover more evenly.

For the copics I'd go for neutral gray, the copic cool greys are a bit too blue imo. For Tria, go for cool greys.

A set of 12 greys seems a bit much though if you're just starting. If you're going to buy them seperately, buy them with about 3 steps between, so for instance a N1, N4, N8 and a Black

Furthermore if you're going for colour, I prefer to take some variants of colours. If you want a nice red for instance, try to find a lighter and darker version of that same red.. I bought a sanguin red, together with a nice brown and orange.. This isn't necessary though, with the same marker you can achieve nice gradients as well by covering multiple times.

Avoid primary colours (pure red/yellow/blue) and go for more subtle ones. The very bright and strong colours are harder to mix nicely with your grays as shadows, especially the yellows.

Edit: just to clarify, I myself have about 30 markers now. I know it's not much, but I manage just fine and mostly colour digitally nowadays.

It's not all about the marker. The type of paper is really important aswell, I usualy use thin tracing paper for it because it dosent soak all the ink and bleed, also it blends pretty well.

I've never liked tracing paper or vellum, smears to easily. This will eat up your markers quickly but regular typing paper gives you nice vibrant colors and it bleeds just enough so that you can get smooth gradations. Trace paper always leaves it streaky and it puddles, then you have to wait for it to dry. You have to work really fast on typing paper though, but nobody will hate you for doing your sketches really fast. Businesses won't really care about marker cost, it's pennies to them. In school, I understand, stick with the trace.

Heh well my experience is completely different to yours. The tracing paper I am talking about is actually bond paper. It's just normal photocopy paper but 45 gsm and not 80 gsm which means its thinner.

So I don't really see how the normal paper soak up less ink because it is more thicker. And I dont really see how it reduces streak either, because it soaks alot of ink it would produce more variation of values.

I think we're talking about the same type of paper. I just don't like that dedicated "marker paper", vellum type stuff. Markers tend to stay wet on those for too long.