- - - - -

Artificial Sweetness

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Leanne_*

Guest_Leanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 04:46 PM

I'm a 2nd year Industrial Product Design student and I'm working on my portfolio. After many different layouts and styles, this is my portfolio now. Comments are really appereciated, always looking for ways to improve:)

Artificial Sweetness - A design portfolio by Leanne Roukema

#2 Guest_whatisdesign_*

Guest_whatisdesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2005 - 08:31 PM

Wow! I love your site. I think the graphics, especially those on the left of the page are really effective and add a nice personal element to the site. Something I feel lacks from many websites.

The colours work really well together.

I like the navigation of the site, and the commonality of the pictures links throughout the different sections is very good too.

I really like some of the pictures in the graphics section. Some of the 'blends' are really interesting.

The only thing I could suggest is maybe having a graphic that appears in the centre of the home page. Its the plainest page on the whole website, but its the page everyone will see first? Maybe one of the pictures from your graphics section or some of your latest work??

Very impressive though!! ;)

#3 Guest_Wyvern_*

Guest_Wyvern_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:15 PM

Looks good! Also liked ur last portfolio website, btw. Very clean pictures for all your work. Big portfolio for just one year of IPO. Easy-to-navigate website. Keep it up!

Greetz,
Mervin

#4 Guest_Marra_*

Guest_Marra_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2005 - 05:38 PM

The best thing on the website is the photography section and the trains.

P.s. I am not a trainspotter

#5 Guest_Leanne_*

Guest_Leanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 05:08 PM

Thank you very much for the nice comments! it's always nice to hear:) But I was wondering.... what is it that you don't like about my site (and maybe how to improve). Because I'm always looking for things to make my portfolio even better.

#6 Guest_Autophobius_*

Guest_Autophobius_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:10 PM

hellOOo
and yehh your sight is pink and it shows you..
it's very easy to use i found but one thing which bothered me slightly was the section :
Product Desing
Modeling<---

when looking through you work i though arrhhh moderling as in hand made products but there were a few computer visuals which i thought should maybe be in a section of thire own maybe....

maybe a section called computer generated visuals or something simiar..

with your profolio it seems to point out your skills as like the sections:
sketches
concepts
misc
it all refers to the skills this is probably why i found it strange for the computer generated stugg to be in the moderling part...

hmmmm maybe if it is all one project you could call each secion by project instead of skill?

#7 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • At:Concept Center International

Posted 04 September 2005 - 08:35 PM

Hmmm- the pics of you are distracting. I think that it might draw attention to you for the wrong reasons.
Also the sections have "Mystery Meat" navigation. There is no description until you click on the pictures. The site itself as stated above is clean and fast. Your photography section is really nice too.

Right now this is the portfolio of someone who has just started out. It is a skills portfolio (as Autophobius noted) that shows all the things that you have learnt. it should morph into a project portfolio that shows how you used all of your skills to create a wonderful solution. Keep designing it. I would like to see it larger with more images and better, larger photos.

#8 Guest_Leanne_*

Guest_Leanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:01 PM

when looking through you work i though arrhhh moderling as in hand made products but there were a few computer visuals which i thought should maybe be in a section of thire own maybe....

Hmm... I don't understand... the models in the modeling section are all made by hand, which products do you mean?

But there will be a 3Dcad section in the future, just have to make more computer models:)

#9 Guest_Marra_*

Guest_Marra_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:17 AM

Criticism's: It does come across as a stereotypical female kind of site, the emphasis of pink starts getting to me after a while and I never believe its best to use bright colours around your work as it doesnt really highlight it.

Are you focusing on the blends as the main part of your work as this is what comes across on the site due to the sheer amount of them, compared to your product design work.

Also, one of the other sites you designed stands out more than your own, I would never allow this as your own site should really be your benchmark for everything else.

#10 Guest_benko_*

Guest_benko_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

hi
looks pretty good , i like the way you put a nice graphic world around your products ,
it looks like you need some more experience in product , but you definitely have ideas , sensibility and capacities ... sounds good
hope to see some more work later ...
my two euro cents

#11 Guest_Easy Company_*

Guest_Easy Company_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 September 2005 - 10:31 PM

What was your part in the urban cruiser project, Leanne?

#12 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2005 - 02:40 AM

I am very impressed as well. One thing that I noticed from my first to my last year was that I went from organizing my work by my skills to organizing my work by my projects. I think most people who will go to your site will be more interested in what the concepts and ideas are, an not just how you did them. On a good project, there will be good examples of sketching, modeling, and rendering anyway. I don't think you need to organize it by what process you used.

Aside from that, I think the layout is pretty good. It's a lot better than the webpage I designed my first year.

#13 Guest_Leanne_*

Guest_Leanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

I recently re-designed my whole portfolio and added lots of new work! I'm always looking for ways to improve my website, so comments are appreciated :blink:
Artificial Sweetness, portfolio click here!

#14 parel

parel

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,087 posts
  • At:Concept Center International

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:50 PM

Much more professional looking. You removed all the self images, and just use an outline (nice! thought it could be a tad smaller). Still would like to see more stories behind the products.

This is still the big problem: It still seems like a Skills portfolio ie. Sketches, 3D CAD, models etc: Most of the models in the portfolio look like they could have great back-stories. Tell us those stories. If you dont have any sketches, go back and make some up that show the development or describe the product better. If you REAALLY want to show off specific skills, perhaps you can cross tag images so that the same image can appear in a product development storyline as well as in a Skills page.

(Edit: I just realized that you had some of the development under product. I really liked this section but is seems overpowered when you are looking for the concept story,)

The Bagaboo project was well documented pictorially. I would have like to have seen mockups and skeches of it as well.

The hierarchy of the site is not clear/apparent at first. Did you consider dropdown menus- under the main Product design, graphic design etc: headings?

This is a very good improvemet over the last round. You have a great graphic sense and a playful sense of design. very nice- keep going.

#15 Guest_A-train_*

Guest_A-train_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:09 PM

He Leanne, I agree with Parel about the more professional look of the second portfolio website, more adult but still with a girl, female touch.

The feeling I get when I look at your site is a little bit of both ways. I think you are still looking for yourself if you are more in graphic design, color and trim then in industrial design.
If it was me, I would not show the technological snap analyze, it is standard (every body has one) and does not show why you are different and better then others. If apply it in a personal design, it is a different story.

The sketches are a bit too 2D for me. Try to get some ideation sketches on there that are in perspective view. The designs in that section don’t need it yet but you will soon get there. Get some concepts in your website that are from start to finish, ideation, refining, modeling phase 1, graphics and split lines and finishing look. That is what design offices want to see. Show that you have it all covered.

Overall, it looks good and by the end that you graduate, your website will be smashing, no doubt. I guess that some of the stuff I told you are a bit too early but you can start working on it.

veel succes en nog iets, persoonlijke foto's zijn een raar ding in portfolio websites. Op dit moment zijn mensen er niet zo voor omdat het een vooroordeel in de hand werkt

Adriaan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store