• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • At:Springtime Industrial Design

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

Ok, now that we have these panels coloured we need to give the edges some nice highlights. Since we have paths for most of these surfaces this is really easy.
Select the path of the surface that you want to edit with the Path Selection Tool (A) and click the 'Load path as a selection' button at the bottom of the Paths display (you can chose multiple paths if they're not overlapping or anything, you might as well do a couple of those at the same time).
Make sure that you're on the correct layer (I just paint those panel highlights on the colour layers, no need really for a seperate layer for highlights) and also make sure that the layer is still set to 'Lock transparant pixels' as we don't want to paint the highlight outside of the panel area.
Now we're going to adjust our selection; Select > Modify > Contract... I chose to make the selection contract by 2 pixels. Now inverse your selection (Shift + Ctrl + i) and we're ready to go. Since we're only allowed to paint between the selection border and the outer edges of our panels (because of the pixel transparancy lock) we can chose any brush size we want to paint the highlights. Just make sure your brush isn't too big for the areas where you want to end the highlights, say near the corners of your panel.
Panels that are located high above the ground we're going to give a strong highlight at their top edges, panels that are located just above the ground we're going to give highlights on the lower edges as well because of the light bouncing off the floor.

Attached File  tut15.jpg   135.7KB   130 downloads

#17 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:46 PM

Here's the result of that highlight work we did. Notice how the main panel in this screenshot has a highlight on its top edge that seems to suddenly stop. The reason for this is that there are parts above that panel that stop it from catching the light there.

A stupid mistake I noticed here is that I completely forgot about the core shadows on this thing. Without them the image looks really artificial and flat.. never do the highlights without forgetting about the core shadows.

Attached File  tut16.jpg   122.48KB   124 downloads

#18 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:49 PM

You can see a variety of things in this close-up. First of all, the tire profile. Again this was made with 2 simple Rhino curves (inner and outer shapes) that I polar arrayed and imported in Photoshop. The colouring of these profiles are actually pretty simple. Use the magic wand tool to select the inside bits of these shapes (make sure you are on the layer of your profile curves you imported) and with a small black airbrush drop in the shadows and with a white one the highlights. Having selected the insides of these shapes makes sure that you don't colour outside the lines ;)

Something else you'll notice is that there's a big difference in the darkness between the steering arms and the black bits of the brake disc assembly. I corrected this in the brake disc parts by playing with the brightness/contrast sliders.

Attached File  tut17.jpg   147.41KB   113 downloads

#19 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:50 PM

Now it is time to reflect on all our hard work so far.. we have finished the rendering for a large part. All our surfaces are coloured and all our details are in there. The only thing is that it we still need to add the reflections.
All the body panels still look as if they're made from a dull plastic. We need to add a clear coat on top of it to make it shine!

To keep things clear and non-confusing we'll create a new set of paths in the paths window as you can see in the image below. We'll use this new set to create our reflections.

Attached File  tut18.jpg   129.04KB   120 downloads

#20 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:51 PM

As you can see I have skipped the part where I create the paths, we have covered that already. I created these reflections on areas that will be highly reflective, the black plastic bits won't need them.
Create a new layer called Reflections and convert your reflection paths to a selection. Fill the selection with white.

Attached File  tut19.jpg   162.76KB   113 downloads

#21 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

First thing to do is to turn down the opacity of the reflections layer. Having some reference photos nearby helps to chose a realistic value for this. I chose an opacity of 34%, be careful not to make the reflections overpower your whole image and taking too much attention away from the subtle shading we have created underneath.

To finish the reflections I slightly erased the corners and edges of each reflection. This simulates lightboxes used in photography that have their main light strenght in the center of the box.
Very simple, use a big airbrush with just a little bit of opacity so you don't erase the whole edge in one go.

Attached File  tut21.jpg   151.93KB   125 downloads

#22 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:53 PM

Now you probably noticed this much earlier than I did, but I was about to wrap this baby up when I discovered I actually completely forgot to make the handlebars and brake handles. Ah yes, nothing better than suddenly discovering you actually have quite a bit of work to do when you think you're done.

What I did here (sorry for the missing process images..) is basically repeat the whole process of making a quick sketch, new paths, new layers, flat shade fills, highlights and reflections. Since these steps are all familiar by now I hope it shouldn't be too much of a problem if I leave these out.

Attached File  tut22.jpg   138.5KB   116 downloads

#23 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

Here's the end result.. notice the missing mirrors. After I made the handlebars it became obvious the mirrors were in an impossible position. Rather than repositioning them I left them out. The bike is a rendering study and not an exercise in design, besides, the lights are missing as well, so sue me ;)

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial and maybe picked something up in the process... I know I did. One last change I made after finishing this piece and entering it in my folio is adjusting the ground shadow a bit more as well as the floor area. I made it a little bit flatter to match the side view 'camera position' a bit more.

Attached File  renze_rispens_bluebike.jpg   247.98KB   375 downloads

If you feel you need more help creating images like this, please consider getting Scott's dvd.. there's nothing like watching someone perform the whole process right in front of you:
Posted Image

Of course, if you have any questions, let me know and I will try to answer them as well as possible.
  • streamliner likes this

#24 Guest_MotaDesign_*

Guest_MotaDesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2005 - 11:53 PM

Nice..........

#25 Guest_evolve_*

Guest_evolve_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2005 - 12:03 AM

Wonderful!!!

I'll have to read up on this. Thank you!

#26 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:26 AM

Superb.

#27 Guest_Lumina_*

Guest_Lumina_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:31 AM

Holy sheite Muslim Batman! This is increadible stuff! *favs page to read in further detail and use as ref for next PS image* Thank you for this increadible tut, many, many kudos to you!

-Lumina

#28 Guest_ScottieB_*

Guest_ScottieB_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2005 - 04:36 AM

Awesome tut Renzsu thanks heaps!!

#29 Guest_shing_*

Guest_shing_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2005 - 07:42 AM

Many thanks for the tutorial. ;)

#30 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 01:06 PM

Thank you guys, if any of you decide to use this tutorial for a project (why a bike, you can use this for many other objects as well), show the rendering in this thread ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store