Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Morteza Pourmohammadi

Do you make models?

hi all.

I'm working on an educational site about model making in ID.

the site language is farsi and designed for persian students but i wish to can publish it in english too. any way...

I ask all to send me pictures about their modeling projects to place them in the sample projects session by the author name.

more advises about helpfull modeling processes and techniqes are needed!

corrent techniques that i placed are: Clay modeling, Papier mache, coloring, finishing techniques, mould techniques and more!

thanks for posts!

I can send you some pictures this week of a clay model in progress + finished, an mdf model, and a model made with combinations of vacuum forming, hardwood shaping and aluminium pressing. both models are finished though, I don't have pictures of the progress.

Guest Random Designer

I think you may have to wait until term time (i.e. September) before any of the students here can show piccies of models in progress.

Maybe some of them would put up progress reports on their projects?

I'd have put mine up, but it basically went: Foam, CAD, RP model, Vacuum cast moulds, Moulded components.

No clay or polymer-and-glue I'm afraid. Although I did spray up some of the RP parts. Any good?

I probably won't be allowed to put up any of my work's models. :S

Ok.

Random Designer: you are right. I must be more patience! but if u can send me pictures and briefs about your projects (that are not completed) i will be happy. i want to show to the students that modelers use diferent materials for diferent forms. u can help me by sending pics from uncomplited session of process. thanx.

Renzsu: thanks. I'm waiting for the Pics. really good and interesting.

Guest JLdesign

If it would be useful to you, I actually did a short 4-6 min. speech in college about model making finishing techniques using REN foam, Body filler, and laquer paint. I believe I may still have the powerpoint presentation file from that, and better yet, I have a video of my doing the speech as well. If you are interested, I would be happy to send you the VHS tape and a copy of the file on cd if you reimburse me for the shipping cost.

thanx JL

how can I pay you for the costs?

if it is no matter for u, leave the file on a ftp host or make a link to download it. (how much is it's size?)

thank u again.

Guest JLdesign

if you have an ftp host I could place it on that would be fine. It may not even be that big of a file actually. I'm just thinking that the slides didn't really have text, they were more to support the video so you may want both. If it is possible for you to set up a paypal account that would be an easy way to go about things, or we could try a money order if it is possible for you to make one in U.S funds.

Paypal is nice because I believe that it converts currency (? I'll look into that) and all you have to do is register a bank acount or credit card and their business will electronically transfer funds between two parties. All I would have to do is send a request to you via Paypal, and you could approve it and it makes a withdrawl. I'll make sure I have the stuff first tonight.

Thanx a lot.

but we have no credit card or currency service in our country! (Third world) ;)

this is like that i must search for a ftp server and post the user and pass for u.

thanx again for your help. ;)

Guest JLdesign

Wow, sorry to hear that!!!! I'll try and find the powerpoint stuff at least though, and if I do, I'll at least put a few bullet points on the slides to describe the process.

Guest battle

When it comes to modeling, theres really not a bad method to use...AS LONG AS IT WORKS WELL.

in my humble opinion anyway.

As far as my experience, and preferences go, i use foam core for alot of preliminary models, becuase its cheap, readily available, and with enough practice and attention, can be very versitile.

Polyeurethane foams and even that blue insulation foam stuff can be used just as well as clay to carve models out of, although without the margin of error clay provides, but they can be finished better.

There is always wooden models. I have generally only used wood to make molds for vacuum forming and and such for constructing preprototypes out of plastics.

I can scrounge around and find some samples of foam core modeling, eurethane and balsa foam models, some vacuum forming and solvent bonding for a few ABS preprototypes....but i am afraid most dont show much of the process...

..but whatever helps

hi all.

everyone can upload his files about this topic in this ftp server address:

ftp.web1000.com

plz use the user : idmodel_web1000_com

and pass: pour04208

to access the ftp site.

thnx for ur help. :D