Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mark's

Page Layout

Guest rodanx86

Coroflot is a good way to screen a lot of different layout techniques

To start, get to be familiar with the principle of the law of thirds and grids. In other words, everything should be organized in a balanced, well composed manner.

After that, think about first read, second read, and third read. Or in other words, you should have a main message, a small group of subordinate messages, and then the details are the third read.

Use these principles to see which portfolios are more successful than others. Heck, you can also use it for movie posters, packages, or bill boards. Hope this helps.

Hey rodanx86,

Can you recommend any books on the principle of the law of thirds and grids?

Can't seem to find any in my library. But yeah, grid system really make it organized and professional.

Guest sketch_render

I find that i like an asymmetrical layout more than a structured grid system personally. I think that it helps to make the page more interesting and stand out more when presenting against others... Although the grid system also has its strengths and is always good to start out with... So whatever works best for you :)

Guest sketch_render

Btw bowlofnoodle, not sure if you know this but the rule of thirds is pretty simple. You just divide the page up into sections both vertically and horizontally and that produces four points of intersections....the intersections are where you place the most important information.... So sorry if you know this already...(so you probs dont really need to find/buy a book on it thats all)....

:)

Guest rodanx86

Bowl,

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

or

Just look up Graphic Design Grid systems on google, there are a bunch of online tutorials and whatnot on the web. The Idea is simple, it is just a method of explaining why certain compositions work better than others.

In other news, this is my 100th post. yay..... Thanks everyone for making this special moment possible!