Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
admin

Article about ID in China

I have just read an interesting article about industrial design in China:

http://www.core77.com/reactor/08.05_china.asp

Another article from Core77 about ID in China:

http://www.core77.com/reactor/08.04_china.asp

I also believe there are some certain opportunities for western designers to be involved in the maturing process of chinese ID. It's time to learn Mandarin!

Guest rodanx86

IMO, the way different designers react to china reflects insecurities and aspiratons of that designer. There are a lot of strong opinions hedged up on both sides. The ones that are scared of change will continue to be scared and the ones that see opportunities will find them.

I cannot claim to no enough about world economics at this point, but I know enough to see that there can be a very happy solution to this event. Its all about specialization, if we can figure out how to continue creating a competative advantage in design strategy or management, than we can certainly exist with a partner that specializes in manufacturing or even styling. Anyway, thats just my opinion.

Guest Aphasia
IMO, the way different designers react to china reflects insecurities and aspiratons of that designer.  There are a lot of strong opinions hedged up on both sides.  The ones that are scared of change will continue to be scared and the ones that see opportunities will find them.

I cannot claim to no enough about world economics at this point, but I know enough to see that there can be a very happy solution to this event.  Its all about specialization, if we can figure out how to continue creating a competative advantage in design strategy or management, than we can certainly exist with a partner that specializes in manufacturing or even styling.  Anyway, thats just my opinion.

I dont think you have to know much about economics to see it quite plain and simply. China is a driving force in the world. They have suddenly awoken and a lot of money is being pumped into their economy which only leads to growth. They also have the competitive advantage of very cheap labour. Couple this with hosting the Olympics in 2008 and the fact that in 2050 their economy is expected to be bigger than the US and that is quite an incentive for any professional, let alone a designer.

Guest Marcus

Hi all, I am new to product design and I am a junior designer from HK.

One thing I would like to tell you - I have been threated by the lecturers many times when I was a design student for the last three years, that,

"You are facing unbelievably huge challenge from China. You know, our fellows can learn incredibly fast! They work from 8am til late after mid night... They can draw better than you! They are a thousand times more diligent than you... blablabla!"

"They will be better than all of you, it is just a matter of time and exposure to the world!"

Em... these threats have been around along my studies. I believe this is a true, long nightmare for any kind of industry or business here. We are down for about a decade (until we found hopes this year) while everything were moving up to mainland China.

I DO DOUBT ON THIS, OUR MOTHER (CHINA) GROWS AND YOU (HK) HAVE TO COMPETE AND/OR SUFFER. ONCE YOU LOSS, YOU WON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND THIS IS THE END OF YOUR CITY(the business).

DO THE WORLD REALLY HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS? DO WE REALLY HAVE TO SHARE THE SAME BITE OF MEAT? Or this is just a problem of the investers? I do think US, EU garments are great, why can't they live?

Who's playing a dirty game? Globalization?

Guest Aphasia
Hi all, I am new to product design and I am a junior designer from HK.

One thing I would like to tell you - I have been threated by the lecturers many times when I was a design student for the last three years, that,

"You are facing unbelievably huge challenge from China. You know, our fellows can learn incredibly fast! They work from 8am til late after mid night... They can draw better than you! They are a thousand times more diligent than you... blablabla!"

"They will be better than all of you, it is just a matter of time and exposure to the world!"

Em... these threats have been around along my studies. I believe this is a true, long nightmare for any kind of industry or business here. We are down for about a decade (until we found hopes this year) while everything were moving up to mainland China.

I DO DOUBT ON THIS, OUR MOTHER (CHINA) GROWS AND YOU (HK) HAVE TO COMPETE AND/OR SUFFER. ONCE YOU LOSS, YOU WON'T HAVE A CHANCE TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND THIS IS THE END OF YOUR CITY(the business).

DO THE WORLD REALLY HAVE TO BE LIKE THIS? DO WE REALLY HAVE TO SHARE THE SAME BITE OF MEAT? Or this is just a problem of the investers? I do think US, EU garments are great, why can't they live?

Who's playing a dirty game? Globalization?

Interesting.

And there are a hell of a lot of people in China!!!!! :(

Guest rodanx86

True that China is a driving force. We may see however, that with all the economic development, there will also be increased buying power among the chinese. So, along with increased capacity to produce and design, there will also be increased markets and opportunities as well.

Guest riaz

One of you said 'There's a hell of a lot of people in China' ... ; )

Perhaps having a hell of a lot of people have enough money to buy a hell of a lot of new things in a new economy isn't a bad thing for a industry designer after all.

China shouldn't be fought, defeated or ignored. It should be embraced.

- Riaz

Guest hinelbusholla

it should be mention that if you are foreigner with good design skill, you can live in china very good ,not like chinese in china. most of design take very less salary, of course in china we also have a lot of excellent designer, but most designer is poor in their course , in their skill .

because i was graduated in a small collegde, study the industry design.but what i learn ?nothing! because my teacher is gratuted only than me for one year. many teacher don't know the meaning of industrial design.

a classmated says when we graduated, now we prepare leaving the colledge,but what about the industrial design? what the meaning of it. i don't know? of course he turn to work as a graphic designer.

in china, a lot of university open the course of industrial design, but they don't know how about it? the teacher only know it is worth to invest,because it can earn a lot of money than other course like english, math etc....

when we prepare to graduate, we have a lot of regret that not learn well,but we don't know what we should learn, no good teacher to guide for us.no condition.no time etc. we only know we can get a good job if we can use a software fluently.but no good idea in design.

i am disappointed in my design and education. only luckily, i got a degree.

Guest Easy Company

Those who are afraid that cheap labour from China is going to take over their jobs see the market for design as a fixed market. They're wrong. The market for design is a flexible market, where through creativity and lateral combination both the market and the product are concieved at the same time.

What the economic rise of China will show is that the economy thrives on a process called "creative destruction". The shift of production from the West to China and the rise of new demands from the opening up of new markets means that the business world has to adapt in order to survive, creating the perfect environment for youngster like you and I. We're young, adaptation is our key to succes.

I'm taking classes in Cantonese and Mandarin right now. I'm preparing myself to set up a business venture in China somewhere in the coming decade and as far as I'm concerned, the rise of China is an oportunity, not a threat.

Guest Aphasia
Those who are afraid that cheap labour from China is going to take over their jobs see the market for design as a fixed market. They're wrong. The market for design is a flexible market, where through creativity and lateral combination both the market and the product are concieved at the same time.

What the economic rise of China will show is that the economy thrives on a process called "creative destruction". The shift of production from the West to China and the rise of new demands from the opening up of new markets means that the business world has to adapt in order to survive, creating the perfect environment for youngster like you and I. We're young, adaptation is our key to succes.

I'm taking classes in Cantonese and Mandarin right now. I'm preparing myself to set up a business venture in China somewhere in the coming decade and as far as I'm concerned, the rise of China is an oportunity, not a threat.

Learning Chinese is probably a good idea for any designer at the moment, for even if you work in england or the states or anywhere, it may help converse with people who you need to communicate with. Although more people probably speak english in china than vice versa. I read somewhere that china is aiming to increase the amount of people who can speak english by 800,000 by the 2008 olympic games. That's a lot of people.

Guest Easy Company
Learning Chinese is probably a good idea for any designer at the moment, for even if you work in england or the states or anywhere, it may help converse with people who you need to communicate with. Although more people probably speak english in china than vice versa. I read somewhere that china is aiming to increase the amount of people who can speak english by 800,000 by the 2008 olympic games. That's a lot of people.

Increasing the amount of chinese that speak english will be a requirement if China wishes to carry out its plan to become the world's leading economy. The english language is the leading language in contemorary science and research and thanks to the alphabet new words are introduced much more easily then is the case in the chinese language. After all, every new word that is introduced in the chinese language requires the introduction of a new symbol. It wouldn't suprise me at all if in 20 years every college going chinese has the ability to comprehend english to such an extent he can read a scientific article in english.

So if one in two chinese would speak english, why would a designer want to learn chinese? Well, a designer should know what goes on in the world around him. In order to shape society physically he must have a well rounded mental image of what that society looks like in the first place. In order to shape chinese society it won't suffice to live amongst other westerners in a gated community in a suburb of Beijing. You'd have to understand the culture and know the language.

Guest mingmon86

i must say being a malaysian chinese and knowing the fact that china itself is moving in a vast pace and i guess it could catch up with amazing technologies from japan,korea, the states and even germany and france....as wat u guys did say..the labour is cheap as the population in china is growing ten times compare to other country....well the news over in malaysia is that...we kinda realize the strong competition from so many various country and our country seems to be challenged...therefore there were so many discussion was brought up here as a chance to compete with so many major design countries and one of them is china....no doubt now evertying u filp beneath us see a label MADE IN CHINA....nothing is practically manufacture elsewhere..is something that we cant do much about it but jus taking them as an idol and inspiration...no doubt as the generation passes by....COMPETITION is the one who stops us from progressing through our passion and love for design...take an example like beijing and taiwan...gosh u should try seeing their workloads everyday and wat can they produce in a blink of an eye...its jus amazing and speechless...thats what makes us a stronger person i'd say...im a amatuer in design and has lots more to study and learn what does the world needs which is us the human mankind...