Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aphasia

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Guest Jno

Designing Usability Into Medical Products (Michael E. Wiklund, Stephen B., Ph.D. Wilcox)

- good info if you are interested in medical design

Beyond Disruption: Changing the Rules in the Marketplace (Jean-Marie Dru)

- good one for marketing & branding

JNo

Guest Marra

Forgot to say what I was actually reading... silly...

Currently reading The Middle Mind by Curtis White (why consumer culture is turning us into the living dead) which puts across a good argument to why we cant use the full extents of our creativity in the flat society we live within.

Last great book I read was Hells Angels by Hunter S Thompson (a genius in his own right)

Guest Zoontjens

A book called 'what they don't teach you at the university'. about negotiating etc. Being a good designer AND a good businessman is a killer combination!

Just finished Brand design, by Ruud Boer. Quite interesting.

Reading DOET by Don Norman. Things i implicitly knew already, but entertaining. A 'must read'.

The Dream Factory by A. Alessi. Just to know the story behind those ehmm.. objects.

Some online books about personal development etc. Because professional development is not everything!

And a book by Daniel Ofman about Enneagrams and core competences.

Guest tomhartshorne

i'm reading: How designers think, the design process demystified by Bryan Lawson.

Lawsons architectural background seems to come through alot in the examples he makes but it is a book about design in general and it doesn't detract from the points he is making. i'm half way through it at the moment. really interesting to read about design methodology.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...3415998-9598309

Guest newkillerstar

current

The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey

suggested

The Man in the Brown Suit (about Henry Dreyfuss)

Guest dr3amz

hey,

actually i´m reading "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" - Edwin A. Abbott.

it´s about a world with just two dimensions called flatland and how society works there.

a lot is changing, when a 3D-objekt is visiting flatland.

very good one and a little strange.

drmz.

Guest helman

In the Bubble: Designing in a complex world by John Thackara.

Some of it is pretty heavy going but it's a thoughtful work about the 'why' in design - a question that is not asked often enough.

Also just read Memoirs of My Melancholy Whores, in english, by Gabriel Marcia Marquez - it's like an old man telling you an amazing story - you can hear his voice...fantastic!

Guest ollsx

Freakonomics by Steven Levitt.

in the pipeline:

some book by the ex-CEO of GE. its his autobiography i think

next would be Richard Branson's.

Guest tom

'Against the odds' James Dyson

An autobiography of Dyson and his life as an inventor/engineer/designer - illustrates the rollercoaster ride of developing and growing the dyson brand to where it is today

A good read

Guest CheckMate

product design, practical methods for systematic design.

its been very enlightening

Guest designer darrin

interesting, looks like designers actually read-personally I find it a chore largely

Guest purplesarah

I am reading Emotionally Durable Design by By Jonathan Chapman

'Emotionally Durable Design is a call to arms for professionals, students and academic creatives; proposing the emergence of a new genre of sustainable design that reduces consumption and waste by increasing the durability of relationships established between users and products. In this provocative text, Jonathan Chapman pioneers a radical design about-face to reduce the impact of modern consumption without compromising commercial viability or creative edge.'

http://shop.earthscan.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/148