Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aphasia

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Guest Aphasia

What books are you guys reading at the moment, also can you post up your design book reccomendations here if you have any.

I've been looking into expanding my collection of books. They are always good for techniques, inspiration and broad learning.

A recent book I read was Cradle to Cradle by William McDonough and Micheal Braungart. It's got some great examples of their work in there, where they go into organisations and change the way that they manufacture their products to make them more environmentally responsible.

Thanks!

Guest rodanx86

Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Sephaen J. Dubner

and

The Wisdom of Crowds by James Surowiecki

These are two economics books, but they are both rather entertaining and have insights that apply directly toward ID. If you think about it, ID is really a game on the field of Macroeconomic Strategy. Of course, I don't have the attention span to do all the analysis and research, but it is easy for me to make connections to the design process.

Guest ConsumerDuality

Im reading as follows:

Amazonia

Bend Sinister

Snow Crash

Gravitys Rainbow

(on a non-self-imposed vacation, but who's complainging)

just finished the Cradle to Cradle and earlier publications: compelling..just add another criteria to each project fellas and fellers...

...@#$@#$ long list...

who gets the check mark?

How to Win Friends & Influence People

By Dale Carnegie

Found this one as an audio book on the net. Old book but a must-read that talks about the philosophy of people skills.

Really interesting, check out the amazon reviews.

Amazon Link

Guest ulisse

Fantasia

by Bruno Munari.

wonderful discussion about fantasy, creativity, invention and imagination.

All in relation with art, product design and visual design...

What's so important about emotions?

Just feel like ranting about this, someone enlighten me so I understand.

Why we love and hate things?

To me its just senseless random judgements that has no bases or logical reasons.

Post: Playstation 3 Unvieled...., do you like the design??

Why people love or hate PS3:

Looks like this... looks like that... Ohh it's silver... ohh its boring

People just say what they think without saying why it is so.

Sure everyone is different, but If you don't know why you say things, why would it matter?

There are three reason that I reckon people likes things;

1. People like things that relate to them, you would buy a Warcraft toy over a spiderman one if you play wc3...

2. People like things that are creative, something that is opposite to boring that makes it interesting. For example; You would pay more for an abstract painting that communicates creative ideas and information then just a plain photo.

3. People like things because the were taught how. People are influenced through marketing and social communication.

For example the Ipod to me its just a boring rectangular object, I would surely shoose any other rivals of the product based on design. It's success is due to the the marketing of the brand apple. Any of apple's product has an excitement about it, people would line up in endless line before they have any play around with it.

What do you think?

Guest «AD»

"Birdman"

and

"The Treatment"

by Mo Hayder

scary.

will buy her third book, "Tokyo".

Guest Sved

I have begun "Stupid White Men" from Michael Moore...

Much more scary than any horror novel !

Guest Zampik

I'm learning portuguese - so difficult for me....))) so I have to read some books in portuguese....)))haha

Guest shrrl

Wonderdog by Inman Majors

I'm only about halfway through, but it's about this deadbeat lawyer in Alabama whose wife has just left him. On the surface it seems like a simple book, but it's written in this stream-of-consciousness style where the dialog is mixed in with the narrative so you can really get inside the guy's head.

Guest fertonon

I have started reading

Assasinatos na Academia Brasileira de Letras, by Jô Soares, probably the finest interviewer in the country.

Translating may need adjustment, but it should be something like Murders in the Brazilian Writing Academy... Story goes on Rio in the 1920´s... very good

Guest Marra
Interesting

I found it tedious after a while. I did read the full book but his views of emotional design seemed to be jovial and nothing else. There was huge gaps in his argument such as what about sado-masochists? There are a whole spectrum of emotions out there but he seemed to be only focused on the jolly side of things and therefore left a huge section of how people react to designs out of he equation.

What's so important about emotions?

Just feel like ranting about this, someone enlighten me so I understand.

Why we love and hate things?

To me its just senseless random judgements that has no bases or logical reasons.

Post: Playstation 3 Unvieled...., do you like the design??

Why people love or hate PS3:

Looks like this... looks like that... Ohh it's silver... ohh its boring

People just say what they think without saying why it is so.

Sure everyone is different, but If you don't know why you say things, why would it matter?

There are three reason that I reckon people likes things;

1. People like things that relate to them, you would buy a Warcraft toy over a spiderman one if you play wc3...

2. People like things that are creative, something that is opposite to boring that makes it interesting. For example; You would pay more for an abstract painting that communicates creative ideas and information then just a plain photo.

3. People like things because the were taught how. People are influenced through marketing and social communication.

For example the Ipod to me its just a boring rectangular object, I would surely shoose any other rivals of the product based on design. It's success is due to the the marketing of the brand apple. Any of apple's product has an excitement about it, people would line up in endless line before they have any play around with it.

What do you think?

Emotions are not illogical. They affect everyones logic and to say "whats so important about emotions?" is to be at the very least rather ignorant to whats around you and the work a lot of designers put into their work.

What Apple created first was something that was different from the crowd, something actually revolutionary in the MP3 market then once they had peoples attention they made the Ipods into a tribe almost where if you didnt have one, you were uncool.

I have as yet to get an mp3 player as my MD player is just fine and will continue to use that until it is totally dead.