Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
skinny

Illustrator To Photoshop Tutorial

Click colorize and adjust the h.s.l. levels til you get whatchawant. Make sure the area is selected first or it'll apply it to the whole rendering!

You can also still pan and zoom in the main window (using your option, command, and space key commands) while this box is up to get better looks at stuff before you make a final decision.

post-565-1121051591.jpg

Tip: To do another color and have it conveniently in the same file, duplicate the adjustment layer, and give it a good descriptive name like doo-doo brown, etc. Put all of these different color combos in a folder. Then you can quickly turn off all colors by hiding the main folder visibility. Or you can quickly change colors and print them by making different layers visible.

Easy color variations are done very quickly. Pick hideous additional combos so that marketing will pick the "right one" (the one you want them too, heh heh!)

post-565-1121052003.jpg

-Photoshop work took about 30 min. if I remember correctly. Illustrator lineart was about 20. I know it definitely took me a lot longer to put together these tutorial images and describe everything than it did to actually do the rendering.

-So good luck to everybody, I hope this helps add another tool in your arsenal. Things will take longer if you're doing special textures, hard views etc... Just try not to duplicate your efforts so that your workflow will be as efficient as possible. Don't spend time drawing things you're going to redraw later unless absolutely necessary. Don't try to do things so fast that you don't plan for corrections or updates. If not you'll be wasting a lot more time redoing a lot of work later.

-Measure twice, cut once.....doodle 10 times, illustrate once. Take care everyone, let me know if this helps you at all. I'll try to get to an illustrator lineart demo next week to show how to do drawings quickly and accurately. Later.

Guest jazz

Appreciate the time and effort you put into preparing this tutorial. Thank you so much Skinny.

no problem, always glad to help. I've learned a lot on boards like this one and core, gotta give back. I just hope my tips can be helpful to people. Plus I want to break that misconception that you can't draw really well in illustrator without it taking a long time or that it's too difficult to get the curves to look right. Also you can do good photoshop work without a wacom if you use the right tools. Wacoms are more comfortable and definitely help if you're doing loose renderings, but for people that don't have one, it is possible to do good stuff without them.

Guest Tagger

Thanks for the tutorial.

Going to use a couple things i learned today on a 3-mini football souvenir display stand i been working on.

â€â€TAG

Guest kotik

Hey, I love the tutorial but wouldnt it be great if anybody amongst you (gurus) could write a tutorial that would direct to beginners like myself. I have no experience of Illustrator and there are no webstites where I could find any tutorials for Illustrator. Maybe I am way out of line, but its just a suggestion.

Guest nate

skinny

gr8 tut

any chance of a screen shot of a close up of ur layers???

Guest Wally

Good tut, i've not used illustrator before but i'm proficient with CS's pen tool, so the beziers are familiar enough to me (couldn't you do this all in CS on separate paths, or is there an advantage to using illustrator?). The results are groot btw, nice job

Good tut, i've not used illustrator before but i'm proficient with CS's pen tool, so the beziers are familiar enough to me (couldn't you do this all in CS on separate paths, or is there an advantage to using illustrator?). The results are groot btw, nice job

You could but you'd be robbing yourself of what you get in illustrator.

Photoshop pen tool-what you get: a changable selection area (path)

Illustrator pen tool (using same technique and amount of work as photoshop)-what you get: a changable selection area (path), scaleable black and white vector lines to use for product catalogs, instruction manuals, etc..(can scale any size in b+w without losing quality), and easier selecting in photoshop (just use the magic wand and click in a blank white space).

Glad you liked the tut. Good luck with everything. Later.