Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
skinny

Illustrator To Photoshop Tutorial

We're going to create a "round" highlight or whatever it's called, you know, to help the shape "turn the corner" <Contract> to mid-line of how far in you want the highlight to be.

post-565-1121049028.jpg

Now <border> so you can get a definite path that follows your product contours. You'll use this so all of your highlights will be in the correct areas.

I did this whole thing just using a mouse, no tablets. All of your strokes are guided so it's like spraypainting a stencil. No exceptional hand control or hand-eye coordination is needed. Your shaky handed grandma can whip out some hot rendos with this technique!

post-565-1121049283.jpg

Now feather to get a controlled and consistant faded edge, not by using the brush fading.

post-565-1121049438.jpg

There's a very subtle glow that rounds this surface out. You can add another one that's a little harder and overlapping, but closer to the product edge to make it more realistic. I know, a little fuzzy line, nothing special now... but it kicks in when you zoom out.

No "round" highlight....

post-565-1121049602.jpg

....With the highlight. Also add the hotspot in the middle where the light is hitting the closest curved surface to it.

post-565-1121049617.jpg

Makes a big difference. Now it's looking more rounded.

post-565-1121049709.jpg

Some would stop here and leave the illustrator lines or hand sketched lines in, but it just looks too cartoony to me with the bold black lines. It doesn't take that much more time to kick it up another level so why not. Plus the other consultancy I'm competing with are submitting brazil 3-d computer rendos, so I need to step it up a little.

post-565-1121049858.jpg

Now <border> 2 pixels.

post-565-1121050270.jpg

Now you have an even 2 pixel stroke that lies just within all of your lines. No need to redraw with the pen tool to make paths for selections, that's what the original illustrator linework was for. All the hard parts were done then, making sure the lines are right. Then all the Photoshop work is easy coloring book stuff.

Using the pen in ps to outline selection paths is a time waster because in the end all you have is a selection path for coloring. If you do the same amount of work in illustrator (same pen tool, same technique), you have the path for coloring, but you also have the scalable vector lineart which is good for instruction manuals, etc. Doing it in photoshop robs you of that.

post-565-1121050282.jpg

<neg-lasso> to deselect areas you don't want to have a dark parting line. Save these remaining selections for the dark pl on an alpha channel so you can get at it easy later on in case you screw up.

post-565-1121050683.jpg

I also feather them, but not too much, they stay pretty tight for pl's. Here are the parting lines. I took the rest of the shading off here so you can see but I do them with everything visible so you can see the effect real-time. Make pl's fade in and out also, using the shading of the rest of the model as guidance.

post-565-1121050696.jpg

Use the same process as before, but do it for the highlight side of the parting lines. Leave the linework in if you want or...

post-565-1121050961.jpg

With pl highlights, no linework. I also went ahead and shaded the blue scrubbers using the original lineart to help select areas.

post-565-1121050987.jpg

Look at the connection on the back. Vary the intensity of the pl's to add realism. Shadow and highlights on pl's are still effected by the main body shading.

post-565-1121051195.jpg

Detail: Parting lines and rounding highlights do a lot for the rendering. As well as a sensitive hand on the airbrush, and good use of opacity.

post-565-1121051208.jpg

Finished rendo:

post-565-1121051389.jpg

Uh oh!, client's marketing futhamucka just decided to change the highlight color on us 5 minutes before we have to email the file.

Use the alphas to select the highlight color area and make a <hue/saturation> adjustment layer (the little round dot at the bottom of your layers pallete). Use that so you can always go back and tweak the colors or find out specific values that somebody else used, etc.

post-565-1121051403.jpg