Brigham Young University Info

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

If anyone has any questions about BYU's Industrial Design Program, I am at your service. I know all the faculty there, what they are looking for in portfolios, and what to expect from the program. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them.

If I hear of any cool and exciting news as well, I will also post it here. Thanks.

#2 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:34 PM

Do you know if rocketshipdesign takes interns?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Talk to :blox about that. He is their intern right now and he is getting ready to leave. He says they are.

#3 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:47 PM

I heard that they are doing away with their transportation design. Do you know why?

I'm actually trying to get into the junior level there.
I'm starting to run out of time and haven't been able to finish my portfolio for presentation due to work and other responsibilities.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The trans program is an interesting story. They do not want to get rid of the trans program, but they are having problems filling a spot to replace a good teacher that has been trying to retire for quite some time now. Until they find the replacement, they are disadvantaged to provide a learning experience comparable to other trans programs or expanding enrollment. Nevertheless, BYU has excellent fascilities and tons of contacts in industry (Honda, GM, Ford, etc..) and an excellent program all in all, but as far as trans goes, students have to take a lot of personal initiative in order to excell.

If you want the department head for BYU's ID program, PM me and I will give it to you. You need to get your portfolio in as soon as possible or at least start a dialog with the department head to see what you need to do.

#4 Guest_creede_*

Guest_creede_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:40 PM

Rodanx86, I am thinking about applying in spring to BYU, what are they looking for in a portfolio, and how hard is it to get in?

#5 Guest_creede_*

Guest_creede_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 07:27 PM

Will you be applying for the professional level?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If by professional level you mean masters, no. I am two semesters away from having my BS in nursing, and have been working as a nurse for several years, but I am ready for a change. I figure I will have at least three more years of school, but it will save me a lifetime of misery.

#6 Guest_creede_*

Guest_creede_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:25 PM

Gauchito, So did you apply at the professional level? How much of a portfolio did you have coming from international buisness? It sounds like we are in pretty similar situations, so I would love to hear any feedback about getting into the program.

#7 Guest_creede_*

Guest_creede_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info again, it looks like I will be starting as a freshman again then, ohh well. I already know photoshop, some illustrator, and I am learning alias now, so at least I will be somewhat prepared for the sophmore year. Hopefully my old AP art portfolio will be enough to get me into the freshman year.

#8 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:45 PM

Sorry, I've been out of town, so I haven't been here to reply to questions. What Guachito says is correct. Though, It wouldn't hurt to go talk to the Department Head about your work. With his help, you may be able to skip a class or two if you have superior work. The purpose of the freshman year of design is to get you to start thinking about design and learn how to move your pen on your paper.

If you talk to the department head, he will be able to assess your ability to do this. Best of luck to you!

#9 Guest_creede_*

Guest_creede_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 01:27 PM

thanks for the encouragement and good advice guys. I am leaving town for about two weeks, but when I get back, I will go check things out, and see what I can do. So what are they looking for in a portfolio? Mine is basically graphite, and pen and ink. I have slides of all my drawings, should I import them and have my portfolio be digital?

#10 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

Primarily, the faculty there are looking for applicants who can think. They realize that lots of entry level students won't know how to use markers or draw in perspective, but they are looking for students who are at least starting to think about those things.

I would say that you want to include some of the following:

1. Something that shows that you can create good compositions (using the law of thirds, cropping, the grid system, etc)
2. Things that show that you thinkin terms of volume and space as apposed to just 2D. For example, architectural drawings or sample products that you have done on your own iniciative.
3. (Bonus Points Here) If you can show that you can draw things accurately in perspective, especially elypses, then you can go a long way.
4. Show that you understand basic color theory (like which colors go better with other colors)
5. Show that you understand the needs of potential end users of products. (For example, designing a solution to a problem that one of your friends or family might have)

Its not like they will have a checklist out when they look over the portfolios, and its not like all of these are prerequisites, but if you can include some or all of these ideas, then you will be leaps and bounds ahead of the game. And BYU ID will only get more and more competative.

If you have any questions regarding any of these points, just ask!

#11 Guest_self_*

Guest_self_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:41 AM

rodan has good advice I would listen to him. One thing I would add is consistency to your portfolio. It will put you way ahead of the competition, just view your actual portfolio as a design project and you will do well.

p.s. Hey, rodan did you end up getting a job back home?

#12 Guest_rodanx86_*

Guest_rodanx86_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 04:17 AM

Yup, and from what I can tell, BYU's program is sure competing well with other design schools. Keep up the good work, kids! :)

#13 Guest_snugja_*

Guest_snugja_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:35 AM

rumor has it theyh are close to picking a new faculty member from several that are interested.

#14 Guest_AgentUtah_*

Guest_AgentUtah_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:36 AM

Hey how would you guys say that BYU compares to Art Center? Just wondering because I thought of going to BYU and would like to hear from people who have actually gone there how the program stacks up against other schools.

#15 Guest_jm745_*

Guest_jm745_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

I have visited Art Center and I am currently attending BYU. I think BYU's program is competitive with all design schools. We may not have some of the gallery like studios that the Art Center people have but we definitely can hang. Another thing is the difference in tuition..wow! You may have better networking and internship help at Art Center as an advantage..but I think the education here at BYU is very good. All in all..bang for buck BYU rolls Art Center in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store