Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest The duke

The right direction

Guest The duke

Hi , I shall introduce my self as Martin Gilbert , or oyo (thats my design name).

I am a 27 year old designer, from LONDON England.

I have scanned the forums, and the work many people have put up, you guya are doing some great work, keep it up, its very important that pepole notice what Product / industrial design is about .

As most of the population on this planet still have no idea what product design is , you must project this when talking to people about your work, make it clear to them , and make sure they understand.

Upon leaving you university , please what ever you do make sure you get work experience, I can not express this enough, If you think you will just walk straight out of university / Design school and into a job your laughing.

Unless you win one of the big competitions, or are lucky, do not apply for jobs because you will not get them.

Work experience is the best way to go, you learn how a company works, how people function, you can not learn this at uni, and thats what some lecturers do not tell you, make lots of contacts before you leave uni, when you do leave you are no longer in a position of student visiting a design practice you are just another person looking for job.

Belive me its so important to nail down those contacts, they can help you sought out your portfolio, and they may give you work experience when you leave.

Make sure you invite all contacts made to your final year shows, and when you say you will call them, call them on the day, date, and on time.

There are still product design students in the uk who graduated five years ago, who are still looking for there first design job, there are many reasons for this , one is the above, and the others are the universitys / Schools, and design consultancys.

I will talk about this at a latter date.

I shalll be posting some work later in the week, so constructive comments are welcome.

hope I have helped.

Thanks

Regards

Martin

Guest Aphasia
do not apply for jobs because you will not get them.

Hmmm, wel thats a confidence booster if i've ever heard one.....

Guest The duke

I

I am not trying to say that you should not apply for jobs on leaving study, what I was trying to get across is that design consultantcys tend not to employ young designers, who are fresh out of college.

They only do so if you have won a few competitions, or you have spent some time there on an intership / work experience .

Yes some are willing to give young designers a chance, but most can not afford to shepard young designers along, they need someone who can hit the ground running.

I had the same problems when I got my first job, as do many young designers.

The environment of college and work, are totaly different.

Well we appreciate your honesty. I mena, better to hear it here than from potential employers right?

Guest manglii

hi, thank you oyo for your information... i totally agree with you in this issue but then... how r young designers suppose to get work experience? this scenario is making designers turnin their back in design after a few interviews n work experiences... n tats y a lots of companies in malaysia r actually hiring designers as draftman... im not saying tat its not good as a start, i guess i could only say tat the stronger survives... we must consistently improve ourselves in order to compete with your frens in college/uni = ur enemies in work...

trying to get in a company through your graduation internship would be a better chance, i believe. so make sure you are graduating at the right company/design studio

Guest 0-maze-inc

thanks for the advice, and increasing my paranoia as well. no matter what you do in life, there's always someone better, faster, and more relevant. much of design is a fashion statement, although there are those who transcend all obsticals and create new and visionary products. I hope that I can fall into the latter group, as I know there are many who can draw better, cad better, and schmooze better. The reason I got into this field is so that I can have a chance to change things, and use my intellect. It's not like I can't schmooze etc., but in the end I am concerned with thinking and creation. I can only hope that that's enough to keep me ahead of the pack. I guess I can always go back to building things, and art, and pay for my education untill I die. Life's a bitch sometimes.

Guest The duke

Hi me again,

Yep its quite hard for young designers (espcially product / industrial ) designers to get jobs, espcially in the uk.

Not sure about you guys, and gals on main land europe I imagine your chances are much better, at university we had some French design students who were very good, and they have all been employed .

Would'nt it be great if we could all get together and set up on our own?