Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest akgraphics

A New Page For Feedback

Guest akgraphics

Hi! For my gap-year next year i'll be working in a landscape design company (a far cry from product design, but its pretty good for seeing how a studio works) and they've told me i'll be using adobe inDesign a lot.

To get used to inDesign, i've decided to create my portfolio in it. Here's the first page!

port.jpg

please rip into it! this is intended to be an A3 printed portfolio. If i take it to a print-shop, can they print edge-to-edge a3?

Guest Wyvern

The pic is not working...

The bandwidth quota for this website has been exceeded. The site will be back online within 12 hours.

1ASPHost members are given a monthly bandwidth quota of 1000 MB with their free hosting accounts.

Guest akgraphics

ack! i guess this is the price to pay for free webhosting :/ sorry

edit: changed free webhost from 1asp to boomspeed. any better?

Edited by akgraphics

Guest rodanx86

I like the concept of an artbook/magazine spread with the greyed out box as the key. I think that is a good direction. Hopefully you have done some thumbnails to come up with a consistant grid layout for all your pages. Indesign is a good tool, especially when it comes to pacing your portfolio's flow.

Keep up the good work

Guest akgraphics

Oooh thank you! I hadn't thought of using a consistent layout for the images, I was intending to do a different layout on every spread of two pages, but this is a far better idea!

I'm going to re-plan the layout of the images to accomodate this now!

Also...I want this portfolio to be viewable on-screen as a .pdf, and also printable at A3 size. Should I make the InDesign document's pages A3, or 1024x768 pixels (or other screen ratio)?

Guest rodanx86

PFS usually automatically resize to the screan they are being viewed by. I would make the A3 size first because it is a lot easier to downsize an image then to make it larger.

One more thing on grids: Your pages should not all look exactly the same either, but the feel of the grid should spread across all the pages of the portfolio.

Just a quick google about grid layouts will provide some good insight:

Here is one I found real quick.

http://desktoppub.about.com/od/grids/l/aa_gridsunity.htm

Guest Wyvern
PFS usually automatically resize to the screan they are being viewed by.  I would make the A3 size first because it is a lot easier to downsize an image then to make it larger. 

I agree... 1024x768 or even 1600x1200 (screen size) would be too small for printing ur portfolio on A3. If u're gonna use PDF, u dont really need to adapt to screen dimensions (4:3 for VGA). If u'd make a website, u should beware of the dimensions u use for ur portfolio.

About the looks of ur 1st portfolio page - its looks good ;). A suggestion: maybe u should use (less text and) more keywords or sumthin. Make em big ;).

L8er

Guest akgraphics

Thanks for the feedback! :D

That article on grids is v.handy, thanks for that!

I'll create my portfolio at A3 size then - I'm not sure how InDesign handles DPI ... when you rasterize it to .pdf, it seems to sort itself out well enough!

Guest akgraphics

OK, here's page 4. I thought I'd focus on some graphic design work, some of my only work that has been done for a client, not for a school project, etc.

20506452724-thumb.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Guest andrej

Nice graphic designs. I like the right-hand top grey and dark blue one. The pick with '9-2am' is cool as well. As a night club poster it's really eye-catching.

edit: changed free webhost from 1asp to boomspeed. any better?

I'd advise you atspace.com or atgig.com. They're both free of any ads.

Guest Wyvern

Nice graphs dude. The top left one looks real professional, and the lower left one looks real flashy - good work!

Guest akgraphics

:D great! thanks! the top left one is actually an animation - the logo spins around as a .gif file - was going to be on the EXTRA website, before the client canned the website idea. The graphics for the top-left one actually came from a sheet of polar-coordinates graph paper i coloured in from my f.maths lesson!

I'm going to re-do this section, and spread the graphics out over two pages, create some more white-space, and allow the smaller images to become larger. I dont like the way the text is laid out in that example either!

It's quite fun creating a portfolio with no time-constraints! This'll have to be ready in.....five years time! 1 gap year, 4 years engineering, then hopefully I'll have a decent portfolio filled with self-generated projects ready for when i apply for a post graduate course! hurrah!

Guest Wyvern

Nothin @ putfile.com atm... don't u have webspace @ ur school account or @ ur providers account?