Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest se7enfingers

Relation Between Design And Religion

Guest se7enfingers

I've been thinking,

I've heard before that one says that though design is not everything, but sure is everything designed.....if not by human, then God did.

Don't care whether you believe in God or just don't care about, just asking if someone could give me opinion about the relation between design and religion.

If everything designed, than it must has relation.

If you believe that design are meant to make a better world, and most religion sez that human gotta do this and don't do that so everything stay on the right line....

they both had the same purpose: to make everything right and good.

So as designers, I'm thinking how will a product designer combine this two concept of art and religion and create something......better.

Anyone?

Seems like a lot of designers beat about the bush when discussing how "good" their works are. On one hand, the designer solves a lot of short term problems , on the long hand we contribute to the the throw-away society. . Do you really want to meet the maker of the universe and have the question asked you , "Why did you trash my creation?"

Personally this is why the idea of sustainable design is so interesting.

Personally I'm a non-religious person, but I do care for designer ethics.. as a designer you carry a certain responsibility. Sustainable design is a necessity imho, not a luxury.

Guest pacho

Natural selection; it is logical to assume that only the best designs will be selected and survive, however in contrast there is a lot of hiddeous junk manufactured and sold as design.

I too believe in design ethic, it is import to take ownership and responsibility for what you throw out there, if indeed you ever get the chance.

Getting back to the thread, I believe in natural selection with design, you go through a selection process with your concept generation, think about it...

Pacho

Guest Aphasia

I don't really believe in any religion. fair enough if people want something to believe in, but i much prefer reading the pages of New Scientest for some stimulation of the grey matter.

Guest Autophobius

being religious and a designer the two come together without even realising it...

i too like reading New Scientists and finding out how the world was built and what else there is to come..

religion doesn't give bounderies to the designer but a religious product design has the same throughts and ideas and aspirations when designing as a product designer with no religion..

unless you were making something such as a church or a mosque etc... and you were a christian or a muslim etc.. would then only you would be using your religion knowlegde and art together to designing something better...

in my opion religion all comes down to a one thing and the only thing they have in common which is:

being good to others

which involves helping the world to be a better place in which ever way you are able to ( meee as a designer ;)

to the topic of combining art and religion together as a designer... i think it already is being combined as when designing, the designer takes ever aspect into consideration, how people would react to a design, interact or communicate through.. :)

Guest Aphasia

True, but - You can be good to people without being religious.

I guess when you look into the past, one of the greatest designers - Leonardo Da Vinci - was (i think) quite a religious person and much of his inspiration came from the cathederals and religious buildings he knew and loved.

I guess times have changed and in this modern world religion takes less importance in the day to day lives of many people.

Guest Autophobius

yehhh totally that is totally what i was trying to get across, people who are religious have one thing in common which is the same as everyone else: being good to other.. but importance to religion hasn't defintly become less important, well at least in my opinion i don't think it has, religion to people is just as important as it was years ago if not more so...

your example is good of the famous Leonardo but also others such as the people who built Egypt to the Romans... i think religion isn't mentioned much today in design and not really noticed, not because it has become less important but because it's not a design, it's not the concept or the idea, it's just a part of someone who is designing ;)

Guest Aphasia

I dont think religion isn't noticed within design, i think times have changed. Poeple draw their inspiration from things which might have been influenced by religion, but not nessecarily from religion its self.

I guess yeah, religion built places like Rome, Egypt, Paris, Nepal, Deli and now we go to these places to study and learn from the buildings, worlds and cultures which exist there.

Guest Autophobius

yehhh i also agree but also as said before religion is just part of a person not the concept, design or idea.

designers are from people minds and nothing to do with religion, where religion doesn't really give inpiration but it's from the person themselves who is imaginative and creative in their minds :)

just my opinion ;)

Guest Autophobius

this is a great conversation about religion and the philosophy and how they design every product with a 'sole' and how everything formed with not 'form over function' but 'form over feeling' ... living products

thank you for pointing this link out ;)

i never thought that design was to be designed in this was, i'm a Christiiam but i totally respect the way they put 'form over feeling' :)

link:

http://www.productdesignforums.com/index.p...515&hl=religion

Guest Aphasia
yehhh i also agree but also as said before religion is just part of a person not the concept, design or idea. 

designers are from people minds and nothing to do with religion, where religion doesn't really give inpiration but it's from the person themselves who is imaginative and creative in their minds ;)

just my opinion :D

Designs may be from peoples minds, but you have to see to be inspired. Maybe a religion might inspire you through it's teachings, artwork or even architechture.

If a person is blind from birth, do they have the same inspiration from life as the rest of us, of course not.

Guest Autophobius

yes you are right a blind person will not be inspired by the same things as people who has sight, the same as hearing, touch, taste and smell.

but you have contridicted yourself,

quote: 'Designs may be from peoples minds, but you have to see to be inspired'

this i don't agree with, things, whether it be religion, the weather or a petel, these things can inspire a person through all senses, but from this it is ones imagination thats sparks, creating, forming new designs.

i think there's not just one type of designer, there's

1. a designer who takes a design and improves it and solves problems in design today and creates something but with a different form and the same function, and then there is

2. the kind of 'what if' designer. what if we could detach a finger and it becomes a fork etc... hehe (that be so cool)

both types of designers are inpirered by everything around them even if they haven't got one of their sense (sight, touch etc..). Their inspirations, yes, are different from ones of who have sight etc.., this is obvious, but if this person who has no sight etc..., then they are using their imagination.

it's like when your a kid and your reading a book with no pictures you use your imagination of what things look like, but this isn't inspired from anywhere, this is just ones imagination, creativity.

i think maybe religious teacing set specifications for a design, artwork and architecture can definetly be insireing. maybe some might even look at religion and take that consept (such as seating men in front women behind - for example) and use this, which is inspired but creativity and imagination is most definetly used for some forms and little techinical accessories and futuristic inbuilt touch screen with sences that can read you mind when you want a drink and provides (hehe this would also be cool on plains - mind messaging hehe)

what are your thoughts on this? :)

Guest paulk

Linking Christianity and it's past Church Buildings, Cathedrals, etc is probably a great example of design colliding. I've recently been researching loads of stuff on the CofE.

Very often the height, splendour amd magnitude of a building wasn't only the designer/churches expression of the glory of God, but was also used to get 'one-over' on other Parishes and a sign of wealth & power. Tbe higher the spire...form over function.

Things like the old Pew's are seen as nightmare to sit on...but there was some 'creative' reason for them as well. Practically they're aweful to sit on, but it meant no-one fell asleep during a sermon. The Regimental, face in one direction setup of the congregation was suppose to be like an army - in flanks, unison and marching together to War...a scary sight for an opposition! I guess in the same way a Hummer says get out of my road! Fucntion over form with a little bit of

Christian 'expression' stretches into the funny clothes the Bishops wear, the colours used in the church at different times of the year ....all to express and mirror God's creation/design.

I duno if the was of any use whatsoever!...but going back to your original question....

As a Christian I'm told to look after the world we're in. If I'm pumping out polyprop tat day in day out, which not only pollutes but feeds the 'desire/want' culture where do i stand? Maybe where the two collide I should be designing for positive, lasting things? That's another topic tho....!

Today I don't think you could indentify religion in design other than in it's own enironment...and the fact christian product designers are often in mental turmoil!..lol. I know a christian friend who recently gave up his job as an enginner designing car production lines...he loved his day to day activites but his job mainly 1) was a money making excercise for his boss'es & 2) the whole pollution thing....neither great to do what you do.