Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Rishabh

Recession In Uk. Is It Worth Doing A Design Course From There?

I have heard currently there is high recession in UK. I was planning of doing a masters in ID from univeristies like glasgow, brunel, loughborough. But I heard it is very difficult to find job due to recession particularly for outsiders. Should I do the course??? Anyone having experience please guide me................

There is a recession in the uk, but that shouldn't influence your decision of where to study. Most design courses are a minimum of three years, but with a good degree from a good university, you could get a job anywhere in the world. Universities like Loughborough and Brunel have excellent tutors and facilities, are visited by great lecturers and also have good partners in industry. I would study at one of the best places to learn design and create a fantastic portfolio, in 3years time things could have improved, if not then you have the skills and portfolio to hopefully get a job anywhere in the world, or if lucky you could be doing a masters at the RCA. Who knows what things will be like in 3 years time where ever you go! Choose what you feel is the best place to learn design first, worry about the job when you are getting close to graduating. PT

thnx for replying first of all.....

but I am going for the masters course itself namely - Msc in product design engineering / integrated product design. My course is not of three years, it is of 1 year or two maximum. I have a bachelors in egnineering and I am good at sketching and ideas. Do you know about glasgow school of art. IS it good???

Please guide me further.

Hi Rishabh. I have no experience of Glasgow and I don't know anyone who has studied there, I think it could be good, but everywhere is what you make it. I have seen Brunel and loughborough degree shows and think both are very good. Brunel is very engineering based. All universities have open days where you can visit and have a look around. If you are abroad, it may be harder to visit, but it might be worth contacting the admissions departments of each university to see if this is possible to do in the same week. This may be the best way to make your choice. PT