Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
FT-86

Should I Give Up Trying To Be An Industrial Designer?

Hey, guys! Nice to be here! I've been a lurker here for a while. I know you guys are awesome, so I was hoping you could help out. So, here's my problem:

I'm 21 (birthday in September) and going into my 4th year of college this fall. I went back and forth trying to decide what I wanted to do. So, for the past year, I have basically been taking a few classes in each discipline that I was interested in (marketing or engineering). Crossed off engineering, because it just didn't keep my interest; I think I was more interested because of the salary. I already know it will take 5 years for most degrees because of not knowing what I wanted to do. The major I REALLY want to do is industrial design, but going by my university's curriculum, it would take THREE years (have to take classes in a specific order). Maybe I'm looking at it wrong? I'm ready to start a career, but I just can't make up my mind. I really need to decide so I can register for my fall classes.

Reason I'm interested in marketing and product design is because I really like to create stuff. There are probably about 20 companies I'd love to work for.

Sorry for my endless rambling. :(

I like to sketch and build things by hand. I'd love to work for a tech company or car company. I hear that you can get an architecture degree to do id, but I wasn't really sure.

You should keep in mind that often people who study ID don't end up becoming designers. Here in Holland at least about 60% of ID students end up becoming managers in some company or other.