Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest hypocalvin

VTOL (<-- means flying cars and stuff)

Guest hypocalvin

Hi, I'm taking a Product and Transportation Design Class at Art Center's Saturday High. My project for this term is VTOL: Vertical Take off and Landing.

Im posting some of my sketches and ideations. Crits and advice are welcome. I will be posting more shortly.

Crits are very welcomed.

0ca7d91c.jpg

4ea8d388.jpg

58de4586.jpg

b990d45f.jpg

Guest Jakska

I envy your render style, it's so... well, nice! :P Very nice presentation and ideas.

Guest EasyStyle4747

yo, chris, i think your flying observatory thing is a good direction man. And the great thing is if you go in that direction, its pretty straightfoward. Design a restaurant, a loung, a bar, etc... Lookin forward to your stuff this week.

Hey, well those are some cool sketches you have there, I can see you're having fun drawing these. A little bit of a problem is perhaps that you might get too carried away with the rendering of reflections and things like that. Some of the sketches get really confusing because of that making it less obvious if you're looking at something that's chrome or glass or something else.

Always think of the function of your sketch first and then start to nicen it up. The important thing with these is to get the message across.

Guest hypocalvin

Hey,

Thanks for everyone who commented. I appreciate it. Renzsu, I took your advice and tried to make my sketch more communicative by explaining the sketches in more detail and more views. However, I still feel that I still have trouble getting the meaning across. This week I'm nailing down my final design and I will be submitting more sketches and hopefully they will be more communcative. Some people in my class are really good at explaining things in their sketches and I'm honestly trying to work on that.

vtolpage3.jpg

vtolpage4.jpg

vtolpage5.jpg

vtolpage6.jpg

Guest EasyStyle4747

Yo Chris, ur red boat thing has a cool effect on it.

Heres some of my stuff from on this project...

First thing:

vtol1.jpg

Dan had a much better version of this idea:

vtol3.jpg

rescue stuff, the direction im goin:

vtol2.jpg

attempt at a storyboard. clamp idea...

vtol4.jpg

another thing....

vtol5.jpg

theres a trampoline in the middle....

vtol6.jpg

got kinda lazy on some of the backgrounds and still kina sloppy on the pen work.

Im tryin to get someone's opinions on my stuff, outside of my class so please crit these. And wat do yall think of the main idea. Its basically some hovering rescue craft that can clamp it self to any floor on a building and has a trampoline on it....

Guest jasonjupiter

very nice work guys!!

im sorry to hear your class size dropped so much but it will make you all turn up your game a lot more.

chris, i've never seen anyone do vertical renderings. i like your environment renderings and the perpetual VTOL magnetic propeller is a good idea.

calvin oh! rocking the nupastels!! great work man, i like the net and clamp idea.

all we need is calvin ko!!! and whos the 4th person in advanced?

im looking forward to presentation a lot!! keep up the hard work.

Guest hypocalvin

Man, I just love how Calvin does his sketches. It like telling a story everytime. Every sketch is just packed with information that its mind-boggoling! yay stories!

Guest DreaM

well guys, both of you :

WELL DONE !

great works and great amount of patience you have there :)

Easy :

you'd better start a comic book :) amazing style in expressing your work...

Congrats !

Guest EricM

ey guys--

sweet project this term, sounds like fun.

ill talk to you guys on aim later.

Guest hypocalvin

Hey, thanx for the comments everyone. Man i love this forum.

I've been trying to work my direction towards a VTOL that is capable of traveling on land, water and air. When it is in the air, it uses two engines with HUBLESS blades. On the ground, the engines become wheels, and in the water, the blades rotate and it becomes something like a paddle boat. Now, I just need to refine the functionality of how it transforms to each stage and operates.

vtolpage8.jpg

vtolpage9.jpg

styling studies

vtolpage7.jpg

comments are very welcome.

Guest EasyStyle4747

Is that the batmobile!!?? (The front end of that last one). Anyways koo stuff, but does that propellor hub thing really work? Like i mean, does tony mean theres no hub at all, or just that the hub doesnt spin it?

Guest hypocalvin

haha..uh..yeah. its funny how the mind works. I wasn't even trying to draw the batmobile, but i guess after i saw it, my subconcious leaned towards it.

regarding the hobless thing. There is a motor on the peripheral that makes the tire/blades spin. However, the tricky part is that the blade is in the rim and the tire is on the outside. And when the vehicle is in the air, the blades need to spin and the tire tread stay static, BUT when it is on the ground, I need to make tires spin and the blades stay static. or...you know what, i guess i could make them the same component. I would just need to put the engine in different gears cuz the ground would hav alot more friction.